Diesel - How do you drive (rev) yours? (1 Viewer)

S

Stueysheep

Deleted User
Just picked up Bessie with a Diesel 2.8Fiat JTD. Question, how do you drive yours, 2000rpm is around 60 mph and it acellerates quite well just using 1000 to 2000 rpm.

Is there any point in revving it more? When does the turbo kick in???

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Probable at it's most economical there as long as the engine isn't labouring.

I would imagine the turbo boost arrives at somewhere around 3000-3500 rpm.

You should be able to feel the increase in power although engines are managed more efficiently now and therefore you don't get the sudden kick you used to with a turbo engine.

I assume from what you say, there is no boost gauge fitted.

Engine Layout transverse inline 4 Cylinders 4 Aspiration turbocharged Valves sohc 4 valves per cylinder Bore / Stroke 91.4x100.0 Capacity 2800 Compression Ratio 18:1 Ignition Type compression Gearbox Details 5-speed manual Hybrid / Clutchless no Number of Gears 5 Manual / Automatic manual

94kw@3600RPM IS QUOTED.

Last edited:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not got a Fiat myself, but most Turbo Dervs have very simular power delivery these days. I find between 1500 and 2500 Rpm to be the best for my Transit.

The Turbo will be making usable power from about 1400 Rpm. Less than that and you shound notice a big drop in power.

I can drive ours not going over 2000 Rpm like you say but some times on hils it might pay you to change down early and keep the revs just over 2000 especially if you are fully loaded.

Richard...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
On regular driving you'll soon get a feel for the sweet spots (where the engine torque is and a lot lower RPM's on a diesel than petrol) and will adjust your driving accordingly.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
My Bessie with same engine seems most economical on fuel at around 53 / 55 mph, although I like to travel around 60 on speedo. Must admit speedo seems to read about 2/3 mph above actual speed at 60mph.

David

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I've got the 2.8 jtd on my Timberland and I cruise at the 2000rpm but my BHP has been increased from 127 to 147 by the Van Aaken smart box.

You will find that you will have to be doing 50 MPH at least to get into fifth gear especially when you are at your MAM.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
earlier 2.8 tdi.
2000 rpm average/55mph-ish
27 mpg average
at these revs headwind/hills can be a problem but just change down a cog to build up speed again.
funny thing, the speedo is accurate going by tom-tom.
my pickup is 4mph fast.

john.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back