Diesel hob (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
I am thinking of going all diesel on my next van. Has anyone got any experience of a diesel hob? How fast does it heat up and what it’s like to cook on?

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Heats up very fast and can adjust the cover to heat the van got our t5 war in no time but very hot to use when weather warm and they do tend to soot up when only used for short runs

OP
OP
Aly1
Feb 17, 2012
merseyside
Funster No
MH
Murvi Pimento
Exp
Since 2015
Heats up very fast and can adjust the cover to heat the van got our t5 war in no time but very hot to use when weather warm and they do tend to soot up when only used for short runs
Would you have one in your next van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I have the Wallas XC Duo (cooker & heater) in my van and absolutely love it!

A bit of background, I had a T5 camper with smev hob & no heating and used it to carry my road & classic race motorcycles.
I decided I wanted something bigger so designed a race van based on a Peugeot Boxer. The design had a rear garage which meant that the bed would be up high. I attended a motorhome show to try out a similar configuration and figured that crawling backwards on my belly and down a ladder was not a good way of getting out of bed for a wee!

It was at that show I spotted the Wallas XC Duo, I then re-designed my new motorhome around it.

I’ve now had my motorhome for nearly 5 years & have used it for ten 2 week trips to the Isle of Man (for the TT & Classic TT) quite a few 5/4 week trips to Austria, Slovenia & Italy (for paragliding, snowboarding & motorcycling) plus many weekend & midweek trips in tbe UK

Wallas XC Duo - Upsides:

• No gas
• No gas bottle
• No gas alarm
• No gas pipes
• No naked flame in the van, meaning I can cook in and heat the van with a motorcycle in it
• No fear of running out of gas
• Easy to clean the ceramic hob
• Compact as it’s a hob and heater
• Runs on diesel, available anywhere & draws it from the vehicle tank (you can use a separate tank if you prefer)
• No condensation
• You can get a toast rack for it!

Wallas XC Duo - Potential Downsides:

• It takes about 6 minutes to warm up – not a problem for me, but may be for some
• It requires an intake & exhaust – my van was designed around it, so no problem for me
• Draws an initial 4 amps and on start up, so needs a bit of battery power, once running it’s fine and draws very little current - make sure you connect (fused) directly to the leisure battery
• Cost, yes it’s expensive, but not too much more than using separate components & not a huge difference compared to the overall
cost of conversion.
• Needs flat bottomed cookware.

The fitting instructions are available on line from the Wallas site, so you can easily check whether it will fit. Download from this page: https://www.wallas-uk.com/xc-duo-xc-duo-wallas-en-gb

For me, the downsides are far outweighed by the upsides and I would not even consider a van with gas all the time I carry motorcycles

Just my ten pence worth - Hope it helps - any questions, just ask

int sink.jpg
int cook.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back