Diesel Heater Help! (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
Thoughts and advice sort.

Moho has diesel heater for habitation warmth, Moho has two leisure batteries, both reasonable new and holding good charge.
Arrive at destination, batteries have had a good 'journey charge', heater will ignite as long as we do not have more than one light on (Not LED)
Off grid, solar keeping batteries around 12V, so everything else working fine, but by day 3 (Sometimes day 2) Diesel Heater fails to ignite, when I watch the control panel, leisure batteries drop 1.5V - 2V initially during first few seconds of start up

It seems that they isn't enough battery juice to get the heater going.

All fine if on EHU.

Is this normal for these heaters, do others experience the same issue?

I'm OK with a cold van but SWMBO feels the cold and we are also thinking of heading to Norway way at some point so need to make sure we are warm.

Thanks in advance

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
12v is nearly flat sounds like batteries have had it. If they have just been charged without a load they should be sitting 12.7 to 13v
They sit at 12.7 - 13+v after a journey, but drop after some use when parked up, getting back to full charge if its a nice sunny day.

It happens when we have a cloudy / rainy day and not enough charge is getting back in from the solar panel to get back to 'Full charge'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
They are/were a bit power hungry. Like the cable distance check.
Tea Bag

Jan 2, 2023
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 684FB
Exp
Since 1998
I had a diesel heater on my old Autocruise and had similar problems to you I had the cables from the battery to the heater upgraded to thicker ones this made a big difference
As has already been mentioned it is the initial start up that uses the most power ( Glow plug on ) once the heater fires up the demand on the battery is much less my heater was made by ebersphcer combitronic model worked very well

OP
OP
Rjcamper
Jul 26, 2019
Devon / Cornish border
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Kimu 122
Exp
I had a diesel heater on my old Autocruise and had similar problems to you I had the cables from the battery to the heater upgraded to thicker ones this made a big difference
As has already been mentioned it is the initial start up that uses the most power ( Glow plug on ) once the heater fires up the demand on the battery is much less my heater was made by ebersphcer combitronic model worked very well
Thanks, yes it's the initial start up.

Will also have a look at the connectors as have had a few dodgy ones on this moho

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
they only use high current at start up so start with the engine running
Do diesel heaters not cycle on and off on a thermostat?
If so this answer will not work unless you start engine everythime heater tries to relight..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back