Diesel filter fail (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 DL +
Exp
since 2017
Crossing over from Switzerland to Chamonix this week, we noticed a smell of diesel.
Thought it couldn’t be us, but seemed to get stronger then noticed we we trailing diesel behind us just before breaking down in Sallanches, not far from Chamonix. Rang Comfort Insurance who were excellent and we recovered within an hour. We were taken to Citroen garage where we camped overnight amongst the wreaked cars in their compound, a little noisy next to the Autoroute Blanche but safely locked in the compound. Was thinking the worst for the engine but was repaired within an hour the next morning and the diesel cleaned from the engine. Transpires that our local dealer who gave the van a full service a few weeks ago had not fitted the filter properly, the rubber seal was not seated properly and they forced the filter on. I think I might choose a different dealer next time! I have the 130 euro repair bill and receipt for diesel refill for them when I get home, we will see what they say...

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Crossing over from Switzerland to Chamonix this week, we noticed a smell of diesel.
Thought it couldn’t be us, but seemed to get stronger then noticed we we trailing diesel behind us just before breaking down in Sallanches, not far from Chamonix. Rang Comfort Insurance who were excellent and we recovered within an hour. We were taken to Citroen garage where we camped overnight amongst the wreaked cars in their compound, a little noisy next to the Autoroute Blanche but safely locked in the compound. Was thinking the worst for the engine but was repaired within an hour the next morning and the diesel cleaned from the engine. Transpires that our local dealer who gave the van a full service a few weeks ago had not fitted the filter properly, the rubber seal was not seated properly and they forced the filter on. I think I might choose a different dealer next time! I have the 130 euro repair bill and receipt for diesel refill for them when I get home, we will see what they say...

SNAP.... CHELSTON MOTORHOMES did same thing for me.. So called Fiat agents, paid for a full service and cam belt change.
Broke down a week later in Germany.. Got recovered to an ADAC centre and they re-fitted the filter properly.. The German guy was full of himself as he smiled and said "English mechanic - tut" ..

DSC00367.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
A friend of mine had a similar issue. He took his motorhome back to the dealer where he bought it from for its service and the filter was pi==ing diesel out afterwards. There was a trail of diesel across the campsite field and his front headlight looked like it had been crying as the filter was situated behind the headlight.
I think with his, it had been overtightened.
If it was me, I too would send them the bill and see what develops.

My drivers wing mirror kept folding in on its own whilst driving on the motorway. It even did it on the way home from collecting it.
I spoke to the dealer and they fobbed me off as they classed it as 'wear & tear' - even though I was on my way home with it from the forecourt.
I voted with my feet and they was sorry when they phoned me to chase me for its MOT/service/Hab Check the following year and I told them I wouldn't be using them, nor for the solar panels and all the other additional items I had fitted elsewhere.
Good news regarding comfort though as I'm with them.
Hopefully, it's not spoilt your trip.

OP
OP
W
Jan 1, 2018
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 DL +
Exp
since 2017
It hasn’t ruined our trip, just added to the experience!
I’m just glad it wasn’t more serious. I’ll will see what the dealer says when I get back home, I haven’t named them, so will give them the chance to put things right .
Currently in Alpe d’Huez enjoying the build up for Le Tour on Thursday!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It happened to us in Spain about 5 years ago.

A right PITA

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This has been on the forum many times and is almost certainly caused by the mechanics not using the proper filter tool produced by Fiat and/or incorrectly torqued. @Techno put up ma cracking thread on how to change the filter some time ago. Quite a few of us now carry a spare replacement filter as this happens to many times.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Same thing happened to us miles from anywhere in the Highlands. Phoned Safeguard and miraculously a mechanic appeared in 30 mins and reposition the filter properly and we were on our way in another 30 mins. Unfortunately managed to waste and spill quite a lot of deisel in the process.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Hardest part is proving that it was faulty workmanship and that is easier said than done

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I had mine leak,and my garage had fitted it right, with all the right tools,but they can still leak,ihave never had it touched again,
I just have a new unit fitted,buy on ebay

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
One of the reasons I’ve always tried to avoid having vehicles serviced just before we go away,seems it’s the kiss of death to let a fitter near it too close to departure date. Much better to have it done a month or so beforehand so that their cock ups come to light in good time.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This happened to us, but it took us a few miles to realise the diesel smell was from us not any other car, in that time the fuel had sprayed the under the van and up the back. The back of the van was easy enough to clean up but the under carriage was a different matter. Would highly recommend if you have traveled any distance then check under the van if any sign of a smell of diesel get it washed down asap. Our understanding is that diesel can be corrosive and do damage if not removed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back