Diesel Filling (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
I guess it doesn't get more "newbie" than this!

Picking up our Dethleffs Trend on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a full tank of Diesel from the dealer, so my immediate thought was "where do we go for diesel?" i.e. do I just go to the normal pumps (car) or do I have to go to the HGV diesel area?

Apologies in advance if this is a daft question. Our Deffy is 7.4m long and just on 3m high.

Thanks in anticipation.
Chris

OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
We just go to the normal car one in fuel station. Just beware of the back end swing on the van as you leave.
Many thanks. So the fact that I'm probably going to stop anyone behind me parking at the pump behind me is OK? Should I carry a gun? :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I guess it doesn't get more "newbie" than this!

Picking up our Dethleffs Trend on Wednesday and I'm pretty sure we won't be getting a full tank of Diesel from the dealer, so my immediate thought was "where do we go for diesel?" i.e. do I just go to the normal pumps (car) or do I have to go to the HGV diesel area?

Apologies in advance if this is a daft question. Our Deffy is 7.4m long and just on 3m high.

Thanks in anticipation.
Chris
Just be careful on your height too, if in doubt get out and have a look, most are ok but there are some that aren't that high, but definitely car pumps, hgv comes out too fast.

Upvote 0

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,If you go to the HGV pump wear gloves and be prepared to fill your tank very quickly as the pump is more powerful than the car ones ,go to the car pump and ensure that you don't get boxed in by cars ie go to the furthest available pump .:)

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi,If you go to the HGV pump wear gloves and be prepared to fill your tank very quickly as the pump is more powerful than the car ones ,go to the car pump and ensure that you don't get boxed in by cars ie go to the furthest available pump .:)
And don't be in too much of an hurry , if they have to wait, tough, they will have to wait a lot longer if you knock a pump over with your over hang or bring the roof down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Gosh - I didn't think of the roof height. Has anyone actually had this happen - I would have thought that because HGVs visit garages, they would default to having roofs high enough. :eek:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gosh - I didn't think of the roof height. Has anyone actually had this happen - I would have thought that because HGVs visit garages, they would default to having roofs high enough. :eek:
You will find the hgv pumps are not in the roofed areas.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Don't worry about your height for major filling stations, you'll soon notice if a roof is below 3mtr. BTW I've never ever seen one.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't worry about your height for major filling stations, you'll soon notice if a roof is below 3mtr. BTW I've never ever seen one.
Yeah not here so much, was defaulting to my basic thoughts of traveling in motorhomes and thinking France(n)(y):)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I have never seen a roof much below 3.5M in the UK or overseas, just be wary (as stated) of height and overhang clearance

I wouldn't use the HGV pump if possible, the flow rate is much greater than others, and people have ended up soaked in diesel thrown back by the inrush/air pressure. Remember gas appliances & bottle should be off. Best to wear gloves with diesel, and have rag handy to wipe off any minor spillage

Ignore others, take your time, you have as much right to be there as they do.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our Deffy is 7.4m long and just on 3m high.

Thanks in anticipation.
Chris

I confirm the overhand problem, in any circumstances, turn sharply and there is always the risk of swiping the pump, or whatever, with the back end.

Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Until you get used to it try and go in and out in as straight a line as poss. Even if you have to queue behind somebody with other pumps empty.. Also remember which side the tank is, the pipe won't be long enough to reach around the cab.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have never seen a roof much below 3.5M in the UK or overseas, just be wary (as stated) of height and overhang clearance

I wouldn't use the HGV pump if possible, the flow rate in much greater than others, and people have ended up soaked in diesel thrown back by the inrush/air pressure

While echoing your other points , we have seen lots of filling stations we couldn't get in and we are only 2.8, with having the filler on the front passenger wing we have more than once drew up to the pump outside the roof and then reversed out again, mainly supermarket self service.

Upvote 1
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
When I was all excited about getting the van, I looked up a few YouTube tutorials on handling motorhomes.

One of them suggested not starting any turns but driving straight on until the corner being turned was parallel with my hips. In my case that works, but not all vans are the same.

A lot will doubtless pour scorn on it, but this video certainly increased my awareness and given me some valuable starter tips. The mirrors issue is dealt with pretty well IMO:

It won't make you an expert, but getting confidence is key to enjoyment and safety. Use that first tank (which the dealer will hopefully provide) to get yourself a bit of practice. Getting lost down narrow country roads, learning to gauge the width, reversing and pacing yourself are all part of the process

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
At 3.74m high and 10m long and running on petrol, I have no option but to use the car pumps. This can be problematical at times, and I particularly try and get a clear run out and not come in facing the kiosk/shop. Taking on a max of 65gal when close to empty, I have seen many people back off, getting fed up waiting for SuperMike to have to go in and pay for each 100L. But do I care ? :rofl:

Europe is easier, because they just let you fill up, then pay, perhaps 'cos I look honest. :) Except for the France, who often have a naughty height barrier on the car pumps.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree with other HGV pumps best avioded, choose your pump carefully looking at the exit route, no fun having to back out when there is a que behind you, been there done that. Also do not park too close to the don't try to squash in beside a car at the next pump you need a bit of space for tail swing out.
In France it is best to use the Pay at Pump, pumps some of the cashier exits can be very tight if not impossible to get through.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
In France it is best to you the Pay at Pump, pumps some of the cashier exits can be very tight if not impossible to get through.

Some are impossible, if you do have to pay at the cashier, stay at the pump and walkover and pay then back out providing no cars have boxed you in.

Upvote 0
Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Just don't do what I did. Dealer put just a pint or two of fuel in so stopped at nearest garage. Leapt out and started filling up then noticed vehicle was rolling away. Wife couldn't reach it fortunately nobody behind. Forgotten handbrake as it was down the side of the seat! It proved that at least I could still run.

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you go to France the HGV pumps are often marked 'PL' for 'Poids Lourds'.

Not to be confused with the pump marked 'GPL' which is Liquid Propane Gas (ie LPG).

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although I haven't been there for some years, the filling station at the Cora supermarket at Coudekerke Branche had a sloping roof which was less than 3m at the exit end. I had to reverse out.

Upvote 1
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Filled ours for the first time yesterday. It took so much that I was beginning to think there was some sort of fuel overflow that the dealer handover had not mentioned!

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If it's over 3mts now, it won't be afterwards.
Mine is over 3 metres.
Most fuelling places will have a sign up if under, probably 4mtrs but if in doubt, don't go in!!!!

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I'm not familiar with Dethleffs but our previous A class Hymer had no "neck" as such into the tank. Hence to avoid getting a splash back of diesel you had to make sure the nozzle was well into the tank, and as soon as you got the first click, stop!

Our local garage is still attendant service and the guy managed to douse himself in diesel because he hadn't noticed...

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

I wouldn't use the HGV pump if possible, the flow rate is much greater than others, and people have ended up soaked in diesel thrown back by the inrush/air pressure. Remember gas appliances & bottle should be off. Best to wear gloves with diesel, and have rag handy to wipe off any minor spillage

We're in a town in the south west of France. I tried to fill up yesterday but the beam supporting the roof over the pumps was 2.8m tall. We are 2.9m.

This is not the first time that I have had size issues in Condom.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Glad others have found low roofs on filling stations, thought it was shapeing up to be another chaser bashing thread:rolleyes:;):)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back