Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My 1998 Boxer engine (28K) was converted to run on lpg. It seems when the conversion was done the valves and valve seats were not replaced with a hardened variety. I am now faced with having to renew them...... This is quite an expensive job.

Is it worth buying a recon. diesel engine that will cost about 25% more than repairing the existing engine but will possibly give me better mpg and with the lpg tank removed make the MH lighter and more fuel efficient.

Any hints, tips or suggestions would be welcome.

Norman

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I may be wrong and probably am but if you fit diesel engine, I think you would have to change instrument panel as I think rev counter would be inaccurate, and glow plug warning light would not be on your current one but I don't know if that is essential. Would gearbox marry up or is that different too?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
How do you know they need replacing? Do you have a problem? or has someone suggested it?

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Personally I would stick with the repair. If it is converted to LPG what sort of MPG are you getting?
Out of my 2.8 diesel I rarely get anything above 22mpg.. Yes there will be extra torque from the Diesel, but, Is it really worth all the hassal?

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
How do you know they need replacing? Do you have a problem? or has someone suggested it?

Craig

The engine was not running evenly. A compression test showed the first piston was on single figure compression. The garage suggested, (Before removing the head) it was probably due to the valves and valve seats not being replaced for hard wearing valves when the engine was changed to run on lpg.
To solve the problem meant removing head and replacing valves. I only wondered whether changing the petrol engine for a diesel one though more expensive might be a better option.

Norman

PS I get 20mpg on petrol and 15mpg on lpg. Perhaps when engine is running properly I might get slightly better consumption.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
The engine was not running evenly. A compression test showed the first piston was on single figure compression. The garage suggested, (Before removing the head) it was probably due to the valves and valve seats not being replaced for hard wearing valves when the engine was changed to run on lpg.
To solve the problem meant removing head and replacing valves. I only wondered whether changing the petrol engine for a diesel one though more expensive might be a better option.

Norman

PS I get 20mpg on petrol and 15mpg on lpg. Perhaps when engine is running properly I might get slightly better consumption.

i have heard that the tappets required resetting due to greater wear on the valve seats

personally i would prefer petrol/gas as opposed to diesel given todays price of diesel
and a captured audience we all have to use fuel of some sort

my 1.9 turbo diesel swift fiat with a cab over returns about 24-27 mpg
:thumb:

edit if you should ever venture down to london
within the m25 by accident
petrol/gas you would avoid the charge

disel they [STRIKE]charge[/STRIKE] rob you daily:Eeek:

Last edited:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
there are a couple of LPG conversion forum sites which may be of help in your decision scally:thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
valves and seats

I can`t see it being that expensive to take the head off, have new seats and guides, along with new valves and springs fitted.
Some new gaskets and presto all done.
Look for a small machine shop rather than going to a garage who will only send it to a machine shop to have it done anyway and then add there percentage to someone elses work.
I`m certain your mpg will improve once the job is done.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Norman

Right Norman,

Now l would go for the repair solution. l would think it would be an easier answer to your problem. If the cylinder head is well worn along with the valves, a new or re-conditioned head will be obtainable with relative ease.

It will be easier to repair than say, source a diesel engine, if it's not new, will it be any good? Having to pay for the transportation costs, the labour for removal of one engine and refit another. All the related costs that go with it. Etc; Etc; and in the end you may not get much more mpg than you thought.

If you have a reputable garage at hand, and you trust them, have them do the repairs, then you will be happy in the knowledge that you now have a good reliable engine pulling your pride and joy.

Just my opinion Norman.

Craig

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Put a petrol engine back in and DONT go diesel unless you can confirm with VOSA that the engine you are putting in is LEZ complaint.

The London LEZ - low emission zone is already in force with the rest of the legislation coming into effect in January however, there will be other LEZs around major towns/cities within the uk coming to an area near you in the future so make sure you either have a petrol engine or one that will meet the current london LEZ requirements so that you arent caught out in the future xxxx

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Put a petrol engine back in and DONT go diesel unless you can confirm with VOSA that the engine you are putting in is LEZ complaint.

The London LEZ - low emission zone is already in force with the rest of the legislation coming into effect in January however, there will be other LEZs around major towns/cities within the uk coming to an area near you in the future so make sure you either have a petrol engine or one that will meet the current london LEZ requirements so that you arent caught out in the future xxxx
Simple answer to that Gail......if future LEZ cities/towns dont want you in a diesel, then dont go to that particular city/town, their loss :winky:

unfortunate if, like yourself, you happen to live in an LEZ zone :Sad:

crazy really......a 3500kg 22ft 1.9ltr diesel motorhome is theoreticaly banned yet i can take my7500kg 33ft 6.8ltr petrol RV through london without penelty.

Last edited:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)

Norman

My Boxer petrol engine (52K miles) had no power shortly after buying it and it had not been converted to LPG and my mechanic diagnosed burnt valves as well. Turned out to be blown head gasket with some slight burning to valves but while head was off he replaced all valves. Luckily I was covered by warranty. Runs much better now . I get 23mpg admittedly it's a van conversion so probably not as heavy as yours.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i have heard that the tappets required resetting due to greater wear on the valve seats

Hi.

If you're worried about the lpg fuel burning your valve seats if /when you convert it,you can always use this...Flashlube kit injects a very limited mount of additive to lubricate valves and seats.....

Link Removed | Valve Saver Systems (FlashLube, JLM) | Valve Saver Systems Link Removed

JLM Valve Saver Kit

Price: £39.65 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

LPG provides little or no lubrication and burns at a much higher temperature than petrol. This can result in valve burning causing valve seat recession, which leads to loss of engine performance, reduced engine compression and ultimately engine failure. JLM Valve Saver Fluid provides a protective coating for the valves and valve seats, protecting against excessive valve and valve seat wear.

This kit has a warning light that shows when you are running low on valve saver fluid.
Comes with half a litre of fluid.

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi when they did the compression test did they check the piston's and piston ring's, if it was me I would consider knocking the piston's out and at least put a new set of oilmaster ring's in and check the bigend shell's at the same time. Cost sump gasket,shell's, ring's, time, :Smile: :thumb:I am a belt and brace's man:ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
:Smile: Hi when they did the compression test did they check the piston's and piston ring's, if it was me I would consider knocking the piston's out and at least put a new set of oilmaster ring's in and check the bigend shell's at the same time. Cost sump gasket,shell's, ring's, time, :Smile: :thumb:I am a belt and brace's man:ROFLMAO:

Took the words right out of my mouth. Do all this and in effect you have a new engine. It wouldn't cost a lot more.

Craig

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I must say I am impressed with the knowledge of the posters on here. Unfortunately I do not have a practical bone in my body.

I thought I would check the oil on my car the other day but gave up when I couldn't open the bonnet :Doh: I found the lever inside the car to pop the bonnet but couldn't for the life of me find the thingy under the bonnet that actually allows you to pull it up :Blush:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I must say I am impressed with the knowledge of the posters on here. Unfortunately I do not have a practical bone in my body.

I thought I would check the oil on my car the other day but gave up when I couldn't open the bonnet :Doh: I found the lever inside the car to pop the bonnet but couldn't for the life of me find the thingy under the bonnet that actually allows you to pull it up :Blush:

Horses for courses, what a dull place it would be if we we were all the same, My old Dad Bless him couldn`t knock a nail in a piece of wood but was a mathematical genius, my son wouldn`t know which end of a screw driver to hold, yet he has a master degree in English literature.
Me I just feel comfortable in a workshop, be it messing about with spanners or working with wood, yet my hand writing is a disgrace, grammer no problem, neatness non at all, just looks like a spider has walked across the page..:Doh:

I`m certain you have talents in other areas, so perhaps we should start a club were we exchange talents.:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I`m certain you have talents in other areas, so perhaps we should start a club were we exchange talents.:thumb:

Still looking for mine:Smile:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL FUNSTERS:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
for your help and advice all of which has been most helpful in making my mind up as to which course of action to take with "Roma." I have phoned the garage this morning and they are taking the head off to diagnose more accurately what the problem is. For those who want to know the outcome of this tale I will keep you posted through this link. But once again thanks for all your advice it is priceless.

Norman

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I new hardened and gas-flowed LPG compliant head will ball-park cost around £280.

You can try contacting local engineering companies to see if they carry out these works. It may even be worthwhile contacting turner engineering (they provide land rover heads) for some advice, as they may know where you can go - or may even be able to do yours as a special! You never know!

Once this has been done, you sholdn't have a problem! LPG has far more benefits than diesel - and if they are going to start hiking taxes to get rid of diesel vehicles - you will be the one smiling!:thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL FUNSTERS:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
for your help and advice all of which has been most helpful in making my mind up as to which course of action to take with "Roma." I have phoned the garage this morning and they are taking the head off to diagnose more accurately what the problem is. For those who want to know the outcome of this tale I will keep you posted through this link. But once again thanks for all your advice it is priceless.

Norman

To American dream and simsy and those who are interested in the tale. The head is off and has gone to the workshop, the problem was one burnt out exhaust valve and seat on No. 1 piston. 4 heavy duty exhaust valves and seats will be fitted and we should be ready to roll.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back