Free Member
May 30, 2015
Kinghorn
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Camper vans five years, motorhomes - a newbie
Just driven home in my newly purchased 2005 Auotrail tracker - Everything works fine except
the lockable cap to the diesel. I eventually got it open using the ignition key but now can't lock it - its just stting in very loosely with a good chance that the first bump will doslodge it.
Is there an easy answer to this or should I nip into a garage and get an unlockable one...?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Put some light oil on the key and lubricate the lock. I find the cap has always been a bit awkward. On mine you have to hold the black plastic bit and then turn the key clockwise. You can't do it one handed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We got a 2005 Lunar Roadstar on Monday this week and like you struggled to get diesel filler cap to relock . It took a bit of repeat trying to get it locked but it can readily be done I assure you although it does not seem possible on first try. Hope you can do it too.
Ian

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We've had ours nearly 18 months now and only just getting the knack of the diesel cap!
When we picked the van up we went to the gas station (practically next door) to fill up and blocked the forecourt for a good 10 minutes or more trying to get the cap off - I think if they weren't anticipating a big sale they'd have asked us to leave!

OP
OP
J

juhso

Free Member
May 30, 2015
Kinghorn
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Camper vans five years, motorhomes - a newbie
Many thanks to you all for your quick replies. gratified, but saddened too, that I am not alone. We're off up to Ullapool tomorrow so don't fancy losing half a tank en route!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
On a similar theme I wonder if anyone can shed light on this 'filler cap' question.

A couple of days ago I put fuel in our 'van.
It's been some time since we did so, (No I haven't discovered the secret to everlasting diesel) and when I unscrewed the filler cap I definately released a partial vacuum in the tank. You could hear the air going in.
Is this normal and if not, by having the creation of a partial vacuum in the tank am I in some way creating a possible problem.

All answers gratefully received.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a similar theme I wonder if anyone can shed light on this 'filler cap' question.

It's been some time since we did so, (No I haven't discovered the secret to everlasting diesel) and when I unscrewed the filler cap I definately released a partial vacuum in the tank. You could hear the air going in.
Is this normal and if not, by having the creation of a partial vacuum in the tank am I in some way creating a possible problem.

I've noticied that and I think it is normal. I can only guess the tank is not open to the atmosphere but does so through some sort of pressure relief valve. Probably a safety or environmental thing.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp

mines the same odd is it not? be interested in answer myself as you would think it would stop fuel eventually

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a few drips of oil in the lock mechanism then work it open and closed several times to loosen it does the trick normally. and the rush of air when removing the cap is normal

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
mines the same odd is it not? be interested in answer myself as you would think it would stop fuel eventually
Are you sure it's air going in - rather than coming out? Fuel tanks normally have a valve to admit air but prevent it from escaping so a rise in temperature can cause a small build up of pressure in the tank which is released when the filler cap is removed.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
As DBK has said its a two handed job, I had the problem myself when I first got the van
Hold the cap with one hand and turn the key with the other, have a practise today before you fill up

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Both the x250's I have had have definitely sucked air into the tanks when I have removed the filler caps. Years ago most cars/vans had a small air hole in the caps, it seems they don't now.

My MGF is the same a definite suck in when the cap is removed. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fuel tanks being made from plastic these days?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
You really would think with today's technology of the 21st century that some baffoon could design something as simple as a lockable fuel cap without it having problems - The fuel cap on our Citroen DS3 i must say is awesome, it looks the same design as the camper vans cap but you just put the key in the cap and turn it to unlock and the whole cap just comes away with the key - all done with one hand, how long it will be good for is anyone's guess :LOL::LOL:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I curse that filler cap every time I have to use it. The flap opens the wrong way, you cant get your hands in ( you need both) because of the vans width and all the while you are squashed up against the pumps.
Vacuuming fuel tank is common system now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back