LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Modern vehicles using modern lubricants and good quality fuels need no additives whatsoever. My work van and my "new" camper have both don e over 200,000 miles and as far as I can tell from paper trail evidence no additives were ever used in either of them. I can be pretty certain of this as I bought both vehicles as one business owner vans, the work van I actually bought directly off its original owner and that made 195,000 miles on the original clutch too.

D.
As an aside.....all pump fuel available and sold in the EU is of good quality. It has to meet minimum standards; the same standards that the engines are designed to run on. Plenty of threads on fuel quality, so I ain't going to repeat what I've said many times before, except that fuel quality used to be my job.......

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As an aside.....all pump fuel available and sold in the EU is of good quality. It has to meet minimum standards; the same standards that the engines are designed to run on. Plenty of threads on fuel quality, so I ain't going to repeat what I've said many times before, except that fuel quality used to be my job.......
Absolutely agree, everyday pump fuel from ANY regular supplier will do although I only use Shell Vpower (or whatever they call it this week) in the racecar as that is what it gets mapped on.

D.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Might as well pee in the wind, or the oil filler

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

?

Deleted User
Absolutely agree, everyday pump fuel from ANY regular supplier will do although I only use Shell Vpower (or whatever they call it this week) in the racecar as that is what it gets mapped on.

D.

I put that in my car for the first time a month or two ago. Its only a 1.1 but small and light. By christ you can feel the difference. Doubt my car was quicker but it was very much more responsive.

Last edited by a moderator:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Unsure if this is still safe with multi point injections but a wee half gallon of petrol in a full tank of diesel is ment to keep thinks clean and if smoking 2T oil in the fuel is meant to help.
NOOOOO!!! the pump will probably seize as the petrol will wash the incredibly tight clearances allowing no lubrication and possible touching. They only allow biofuel to 10% for the same reason. The diesel oil has all the lubrication the pump needs.
This might be OK on the lod 608 Mercedes engines of 1980 and before but not the super high pressure one with common rail injection.

?

Deleted User
NOOOOO!!! the pump will probably seize as the petrol will wash the incredibly tight clearances allowing no lubrication and possible touching. They only allow biofuel to 10% for the same reason. The diesel oil has all the lubrication the pump needs.
This might be OK on the lod 608 Mercedes engines of 1980 and before but not the super high pressure one with common rail injection.
Cant remembe if Bosch or Lucas pump but my pug 306 1.9 non turbo could take 100% veg oil. I never did try it but did a 50/50 mix what was fine. This was in the summer months as i understand the oil is thicker till warm. My present van has the pug 1.9 non turbo engine also so i must look into the pump thing as i could be saving a fortune.

Handy forum for tight gits and green hippys

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it really is worrying what some stupid people believe and waste money on, so risking damage to a modern engine

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have a couple of work vans, A sprinter with six hundred and twenty thousand kilometers, a Movano with six hundred and ten thousand K, A Renault Scenic with three hundred and forty five thousand K. All going very well without any engine issues. None of them have ever had any additives. Oh, except perhaps the Renault where I half filled it with Petrol twice and rove it till it ran out.

?

Deleted User
except perhaps the Renault where I half filled it with Petrol twice and rove it till it ran out.

Lol, i did that twice in a works Pug 309 back when they were new. Lucky it was the start of the shift so i could run it through. Could be a bugger to start at times and i never used 5th gear till i got it topped up again :D A friend did it in Manchester but lucky hitting the motorway north so just ran that through also. Nether car had issues. Another thing we noticed when we changed to the 306 when that came out new the work got two. The supervisors one was run in and the staff was ragged from day one. The staff car was in the garage less when we were getting on to 150K + miles and it also had a 5mph faster top speed.

OP
OP
Humsafer
Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Wow! that's that then, thanks for all your replies and I did have a good laugh reading them. Never was in danger of buying but just thought I would ask.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back