Dieppe Aire be vigilant (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi Funsters

We arrived in Dieppe last night on the 10pm ferry and went straight to the Aire overlooking the ferry (cliff side)(Dieppe 2 in all the Aires book)
Whilst filling up with water I was approached by two unsavoury guys who at first stood and stared and then quizzed me as to where I was from, where was I going, how long for and was I staying the night here?
They said they were in a van parked up in the Aire and walked off.
We parked up between two Brit vans and got ready for bed.
Upon looking out of the window I noted that they were walking up & down the Aire and going between motorhomes.
Then they exited the Aire via a footpath through the bushes.
Around 20mins later, two other similar dressed guys entered via the same footpath and did the same, checking vans out. They stopped outside ours and were whispering and pointing and only sloped off when I stuck my head out of the window.
We decided to leave at around half past midnight as didn’t fancy walking up to no bikes. Something just didn’t seem right and they were definitely up to no good.
We moved on to Val de Shane

If you are planning a stay at Dieppe, just ensure everything’s screwed down/locked.
We were planning to overnight there on the return leg but think we’ll give it a miss. Shame really as it looked a reasonable place to look around.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We stayed there in November and had no such experiences. The aire was very full but we didn't notice any suspicious characters apart from all the French motorhomers who seemed to be there for fishing!!

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
There were a few cars parked up for the fishing one of which enjoyed playing gangster rap music for all to enjoy.
Like I said though, if you’re planning on staying there it’s worth being extra vigilant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You did right, if it doesn’t feel or look good then move....(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Gravelines if heading east or north; Citie Europ otherwise. Used to use Wissant but it's been full last few times we've tried. All from Calais/Tunnel of course.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Going south our first stop is always neufchatel en bray

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
We always use the Aire on the sea front. Never had any trouble. It has Electric hook up points labelled " For one hour use". Have never noticed this applied with large vans ignoring the notice, some inhabitants watching their large TV's and still on hook up next morning. For 12 Euros for overnight stop they meant to get their monies worth! :whistle: Noticed one lady camper complaining to an attendant in the morning that she was unable to hook up and he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.(n)
Brian

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It could have been entirely innocent.

When on the continent we’ve often had people walking round our vehicle staring at it and, like you had, whispering and pointing. I was quite unnerved by it at first until I realised that they really were just looking and discussing.

Our continental cousins don’t seem to have the same ‘personal space’ issues as we do. If they want to come over and look they have no qualms about doing so... and close as standing 2 foot from the van staring in and around.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I don’t mind anyone coming and looking or standing and watching but at midnight and tip toeing between vans and then disappearing into the bushes is not the norm where I come from but happen you are right on this occasion.
I don’t wish to scaremonger but if anyone is going to stay there at least they’re aware.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back