Didn't quite make it to Peterborough (1 Viewer)

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Not me, but the brother in law

2006 Transit Chasson, with only 30k on it.

On the A1 yesterday morning making good progress, they heard (and probably felt) a bang from the engine and a loss of power, luckily just as they were about to come past a large layby, they managed to coast into the layby and park safely and that's the last bit of luck they had all day.

After eventually being recovered by a recovery contractor for the RAC, they were put into a taxi for the journey back up up north, getting home at 8pm, only to be then informed by the recovery company that they had ran out of drivers and the Motorhome wouldn't make it home until Tuesday!

Needless to say the brother in law read them the riot act and moving forward the RAC eventually managed to get Crouch recovery involved and it arrived at my yard at half past 5 this morning đź‘Ť

And there's where his luck has definitely ran out, the picture below is what we've found in the sump, and that's no1 little end and gudgeon pin, looking up into the block you can actually rotate what's left of the conrod on the crank!

Time for a recon engine, but I'm busy trawling the transit forums to work out what's happened, did the rod just let go, did the piston seize then fracture?

Answer's on a postcard!
I'll keep you all posted when we get it stripped down

OP
OP
B

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
At a guess I would say the piston seized.
That's what I'm thinking at the moment, no1 injector over fueling and overheated the piston, to seized it in the bore

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Commiserations to your BIL. Very bad luck.

Hopefully a recon engine isn't too expensive and your BIL can enjoy touring again for the rest of 2021.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Nasty. Good luck getting a recon engine, I’m yet to hear of a good story concerning a recon engine. What about a self rebuild or new engine?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back