Diddled by the DVLA (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The DVLA have just ripped me off, diddled me and done me out of over two months of my new licence.
Had to renew my C1 licence which expires at the end of January next year. We will be somewhere in Spain or Portugal until February so had to renew before we leave.
After all the hassle of getting the application forms that they failed to send me, then a medical and opticians report I also had to send a cheque for £17 and a new photo.
My new licence arrived this morning with an expiry date of 20th November 2020 instead of end of January 2021.

The rotten buggers have short changed me by a couple of months. :(:(

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just been back to the DVLA website and it would appear that you guys, @DBK and @icantremember, are quite correct.
Quote:-
Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current licence.

Ho,hum! Another government rip off. :(
If the Chancellor don't get you one way he will get you another.
Still, mustn't complain. At least he didn't put up fuel duty, tax on booze or any of the many things he could have done to make me even more grumpy than usual. :):)

Richard.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Same here, lost nearly 3 months through being clever and getting my application in early. Did appeal but I am afraid it fell on deaf ears. They said the new licence would run from when it was issued, not when the old one expired.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I gained some time. Application just prior to 70th birthday. A couple of months faffing by DVLA and for medical reports etc. during which I was allowed to continue driving. Then application approval, and as you have found the licence was issued from that date. Well done DVLA :).

@Clarky. We to will be in Spain / Portugal during the time you mention.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I guess you were charged by your GP for the medical report also, plus maybe a separate eye test, or is the chart on the back of the GP,s door still sufficient? Seems like a lot of trouble and fuss for a 3 year duration to keep your C1, but I guess and hope its the same Europe wide or is it?
Happy travels Richard, we will be looking forward to reading your blogs as usual.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I guess you were charged by your GP for the medical report also, plus maybe a separate eye test, or is the chart on the back of the GP,s door still sufficient? Seems like a lot of trouble and fuss for a 3 year duration to keep your C1, but I guess and hope its the same Europe wide or is it?
Happy travels Richard, we will be looking forward to reading your blogs as usual.
I think Germany is the only other country with grandfather rights, other country have always had to take a test for the C1. That is why there are so many 3½ vans in Europe (regardless of weight & size:)). I think all countries you have to have a medical at 70.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
The year before last, they had a backlog and mine arrived about a month after the old one expired. I had their standard letter confirming I could continue to drive, so I gained a few weeks. :)

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Went to my GP for the medical, rather than one of the 'travelling' GP's that you can book on-line, because I thought it worth having a good check over, bit like an MOT, as I don't get to see doctors very often, fortunately.
Was quoted £150 when I booked 3-4 weeks ago but am still waiting for the invoice to arrive. Won't be chasing them up too soon. :D
The doctor really gave me a good and thorough going over and pronounced me to be alive.
I have an annual sight check with our opticians and they will fill in the D4 form while I wait whenever I need it as our doctor won't do that bit.

It is all a bit of a hassle but for another three years (almost) with our lovely Carthago, plus no worries about being overloaded, it's worth it.

Will endeavour to keep the blog up to date this time while we travel. Problem is, we get to Totana or somewhere equally laid back and mañana sets in. :D:D

Richard.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
My doctor, or at least the practice manager, also wanted full payment on booking and charged £140 but did include the eye test.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I"lost" 1 month, Doc charged £100 but wouldn't do eye test, my optician filled form in (free)
Cheers, Dave(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I think Germany is the only other country with grandfather rights, other country have always had to take a test for the C1. That is why there are so many 3½ vans in Europe (regardless of weight & size:)). I think all countries you have to have a medical at 70.

You have to take a medical at every renewal here. 10 years now for B & 5 years for C, C1 etc;

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats all good informative detail, thanks guys although I have another 10 years, if I live that long before needing to do the medical for C1.
I am not suggesting for one moment that the tests should be less vigorous for C1 use on a leisure vehicle, however I would hope that a very much more intensive medical is required at more regular intervals for professional HGV drivers, bearing in mind what happened (not a lot) to the HGV Bin Lorry driver in Glasgow, how his medical notes were not fully scrutinised by his employers to this day beggars belief!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Taking the positive though, it will be done before you need to set off in three years :)(y)

enjoy the next three years travels

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I absolutely do not agree, The limit for driving a motorhome on B1 should realisticly be of the order of 4t. All this faffing about to retain C1+E after 70 is a complete waste of time. Its just one more government rip off!, like so called "Speed/Safety Camera`s". Just a way of extracting more tax by the back door.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I absolutely do not agree, The limit for driving a motorhome on B1 should realisticly be of the order of 4t. All this faffing about to retain C1+E after 70 is a complete waste of time. Its just one more government rip off!, like so called "Speed/Safety Camera`s". Just a way of extracting more tax by the back door.
Not sure how they 'extract more tax'.
No cost for renewing your licence at 70+ apart from a £17 fee when you need a new photograph.
It is a faff though. All because we like to operate well inside the law by having adequate pay load.
I could be driving basically the very same van on the 'light' AlKo chassis on a standard car licence with the same speed limits and restrictions as a Mini driver. However it would be difficult to keep below 3.5 tonnes and like very many sub 3.5t we would probably be overloaded much of the time.
Because we chose to pay extra for the 'heavy' chassis with its larger wheels and tyres and perhaps beefed up brakes and suspension to make the vehicle much safer we are penalised by reduced speed limits, more restrictions on access and all the licence rubbish.
Sometimes it seems that trying to be safer and well within the law is penalised.
Who was it that said "The law is an ass"?

Richard.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Not sure how they 'extract more tax'.
No cost for renewing your licence at 70+ apart from a £17 fee when you need a new photograph.
It is a faff though. All because we like to operate well inside the law by having adequate pay load.
I could be driving basically the very same van on the 'light' AlKo chassis on a standard car licence with the same speed limits and restrictions as a Mini driver. However it would be difficult to keep below 3.5 tonnes and like very many sub 3.5t we would probably be overloaded much of the time.
Because we chose to pay extra for the 'heavy' chassis with its larger wheels and tyres and perhaps beefed up brakes and suspension to make the vehicle much safer we are penalised by reduced speed limits, more restrictions on access and all the licence rubbish.
Sometimes it seems that trying to be safer and well within the law is penalised.
Who was it that said "The law is an ass"?

Richard.

Actually I suppose the fact that it is necessary to have to pay for a private Medical. With costs in excess of £100, IS a form of "taxation". Merely for the "right" to drive the exact same vehicle, who`s Paperwork says it exceeds some arbitrary figure plucked from the air by some obscure "seat warmer" in an office in Whitehall!. If you check the Alko site most of the vehicles can be uprated as they stand, some do need a tyre change. But that is IT. My view, and I know it is not popular, Is that any so called age related "safety" upgrade medicals and the processing of paperwork associated with that should be FREE. The numbers involved are not going to make a dent in anyone's "budget", in a society where Billions are thrown at convicted felons, lazy layabouts, and foreign aid to countries with nuclear programs!. And as said. I have a real issue with "safety camera`s" I suspect they cause more accidents than they stop, merely because watching the speedo in case you are 2mph over, (£100+ points) takes eyes off the road!. It`s a pure Cash collection exercise!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hope folk arent driving m,homes on a b1 . must be very small ones if they are .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
however I would hope that a very much more intensive medical is required at more regular intervals for professional HGV drivers, bearing in mind what happened (not a lot) to the HGV Bin Lorry driver in Glasgow, how his medical notes were not fully scrutinised by his employers to this day beggars belief!
Without a doubt, I can understand your concern and HGV and PSV licences are renewable with medical every year after the age of 65. Prior to that, on initial application, then at age 45, then every 5 years to age 65.
I also appreciate one very public hgv crash and there are many annually that go unreported but there are also thousands of fatal accidents and other situations that take many more lives than the Glasgow bin lorry driver. I'm NOT attempting to defend him and I'm in agreement with medicals but quoting one particular case of years ago isn't a convincing argument IMHO.
There are many more injured and killed by drivers who are on the road illegally (medical not included) than that instance.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Well, if you choose to join the club, you have to abide by the rules if the club.
Of course, no mention of lower VED.
From my point of view, I have HGV and PSV (not going into all the groups and +s) but I did consider uprating but decided to stay sub 3.5 tonnes because if I decide, of the doctor decides that I'm not fit for vocational licence, then I can still (except I fail altogether) drive my Moho and car.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Well, if you choose to join the club, you have to abide by the rules if the club.
Agreed.
Its the rules that I have a problem with. Out of date and irrational IMHO.
A higher weight limit would enable manufacturers the build a vehicle a little safer without scrimping on the chassis and structure to save weight and owners to have the goodies they want on their vans.
On another current thread on here there are pictures of what happens to a MoHo structure after a bash from behind.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back