Did you take out an extended warranty? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Our manufacturer's warranty is due to expire soon and we have the option of taking out an extended warranty. I expect that we will go for it, although it's pretty expensive, but it's left me wondering how many people take them out.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We took Fiat extended warranty for total 5 years but this has to be done within 15 days of first registration.

I don’t know of any other warranty Fiat specific.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The one we're thinking about is the motorhome manufacturer's warranty. It does cover the engine, gearbox, etc though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You need to look at what it doesn't cover & maximum value of claim rather than assume it covers everything.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got the comfortmatic gearbox, and I did consider the extended warranty when we got the van. But as you say, it is quite expensive.

And I wasn't totally convinced the comfortmatic system would be covered?

"Oh, sorry, it's your clutch that's causing the problem, and that's excluded because it's a wear and tear item (like the brakes, battery, wiper blades, exhaust etc etc...)"

In the end decided we'd take the risk and effectively self-insure. Touch wood OK so far - just coming up to 3rd birthday. And because it's a continental conversion (Rapido), the van only had a 2-year Fiat warranty. :whistle:

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Too many stories about unhappy MH owners having to fight to get FIAT to accept that the defect was covered by the original manufacturer's warranty.

Next, the apparent reluctance of FIAT Professional dealerships to undertake the remedial work under warranty because of low labour rates allowed by FIAT.

The final straw was the many exclusions in the MOPAR extended warranty (also very expensive) so it didn't really provide enough peace of mind.

Like @mikebeaches I decided to self-insure. As long as the odds of (say) the clutch and the ComfortMatic box going for more than 5 years without trouble are reasonable, then not buying the extended warranty seemed a good bet. So far, touch wood the X290 appears to have fewer known problem areas than some earlier models. The unknowns seem to be the Euro6 emissions stuff including DPF, sensors and recirculation gubbins.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
my fiat motorhome has got a warranty and camper assist for three years at no extra charge all sorted by dealer Alan Kerr

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
You need to look at what it doesn't cover & maximum value of claim rather than assume it covers everything.

The maximum value of the claim is the retail value of the vehicle.

There’s a pretty self-explanatory list of what it does and doesn’t cover - which is helpful so there shouldn’t be any hidden surprises... hopefully!

If only I had a crystal ball!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We took Fiat extended warranty for total 5 years but this has to be done within 15 days of first registration.

I don’t know of any other warranty Fiat specific.
How much does this cost if you don't mind me asking , as we are changing vans.
And does that 5 years consist of 3 years manufacture std warranty plus 2 additional years of said warranty??

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We've had a bit of a change of mind. We'll probably just keep the manufacturer's 10 year water ingress policy in force by complying with the annual damp check. We'll put aside what we would have spent on the warranty... just in case!

It would have cost more for the required annual habitation check (approx £900 x 3) than for the premium on the insurance (£795 for 36 months).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back