Did you sell your house to purchase a van for full timing (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
This is hardly burning your bridges, owning a home especially when it is paid for gives you total freedom to do whatever you please. Rent it or let someone borrow it for free, it will still be there when and if you need it. Increasing property prices while you are away would make you even happier surely.:thumb:

My intro was not suggesting that all full timers were doomed. It was just an update on some of the many members who over the past years have posted on here how wonderful life was going to be, all they have to do is sell up and purchase a large motorhome with the proceeds then disappear over the horizon [HI]without a worry in the world[/HI]. Now some years on I just wondered if this dream was still in tact.

I would never have been brave enough to put my future in a depreciating asset so how is it panning out for those of us who were.

Trust me there are still worries ( not so many, but still they are there ) like medication, language and money to name but a few. As you only get one chance on this earth I believe you must try everything and have no regrets, because it is too short. ENJOY

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
This is hardly burning your bridges, owning a home especially when it is paid for gives you total freedom to do whatever you please. Rent it or let someone borrow it for free, it will still be there when and if you need it. Increasing property prices while you are away would make you even happier surely.:thumb:

My intro was not suggesting that all full timers were doomed. It was just an update on some of the many members who over the past years have posted on here how wonderful life was going to be, all they have to do is sell up and purchase a large motorhome with the proceeds then disappear over the horizon without a worry in the world. Now some years on I just wondered if this dream was still in tact.

I would never have been brave enough to put my future in a depreciating asset so how is it panning out for those of us who were.

I do see your point. Of all the fulltimers I have met - there wasn't many of those that actually went back to home ownership to be honest.

I think it does something to you - you re-evaluate what society expects of you. Many feel buying property is not always necessary - though it is a good way of investing your money and keeping it relatively secure.

I have met many fulltimers; some have bought old houses at auctions, but just as many have gone into land and either put a park home on it/ completed a modest self build - maybe something to do with new found confidence in themselves? Others have either found a good rented proerty deal on their travels, either home or abroad, and a fair few that really have spent the inheritence end up in social housing!

Deleted User
Everone's circumstances are different, if we had lived in a nice house in a nice area our decisions may well have been different. We lived in a nice house in a increasingly neglected area of Rochdale and were glad(and lucky) to sell up in 2008.
We decided we could live off pensions and the capital after helping the kids to get on the property ladder. Savings interest rates took a nosedive soon after so some of the financial planning went bellyup but still enjoying our lifestyle and definitely no regrets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Perhaps going up was the wrong statement but if the price of a property of mine was in free fall then I would indeed be unhappy.:cry:

Why would you be unhappy, what difference would it make to you and your house? if your house is the ONLY one in freefall then yes, but it wouldn't be, so excluding a neg equity situation, who cares whether house prices are rising or falling.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why would you be unhappy, what difference would it make to you and your house? if your house is the ONLY one in freefall then yes, but it wouldn't be, so excluding a neg equity situation, who cares whether house prices are rising or falling.
Probably got more to lose in percentage terms if you live in high value areas . Higher prices though suggest a more buoyant market should you decide to up sticks.

Who wants to sit around in a bear market waiting sometimes years for a buyer. Higher prices, more buoyant market makes everyone happy. With the exception of first time buyers who I have total sympathy with.:thumb:

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
House prices

Down here where we live now the market is buoyant, but back in West Yorks where we lived until last Summer, you can't give your house away. Like others have said, and despite what the Daily Express say every week, for most of the UK the housing market is still going South - in more ways than one!

We did, briefly, consider full-timing but we have found that after about 8 weeks on the road, even in a decent sized van, we want to be back in our house with a bit more space and comfort. Ten after a week or two ready for another adventure. Nice to be able to do both, and if we evr do hit the road for a longer spell, we would probably rent the house not sell up.

But as always, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Gary ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Down here where we live now the market is buoyant, but back in West Yorks where we lived until last Summer, you can't give your house away. Like others have said, and despite what the Daily Express say every week, for most of the UK the housing market is still going South - in more ways than one!

We did, briefly, consider full-timing but we have found that after about 8 weeks on the road, even in a decent sized van, we want to be back in our house with a bit more space and comfort. Ten after a week or two ready for another adventure. Nice to be able to do both, and if we evr do hit the road for a longer spell, we would probably rent the house not sell up.

But as always, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Gary ::bigsmile:
Living 365 in a van would never be my choice either but I guess we are all different. I would end up with Cabin Fever. :shout:

Deleted User
Must admit to being a 'part time' fulltimer in that we bought a static van in S. Brittany before we sold up but only stay here(present location) for a max of 3 months a year.

This year we have left the 5'er in storage in Portugal until December( [HI]still for sale [/HI]) and will spend 2 months in the UK for 'Summer' in a Hymer caravan we bought last year. The Hymer will travel with us to the continent in September for some serious touring before returning to Portugal for 4/5 months and then.....

It's a hard life but someone has to do it :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
over 4 years fulltiming now and the house sold 3 years ago. absolutely no regrets whatsoever. I had no end of problems with the tenant I had and meeting the mortgage under those circumstances was a millstone around my neck. I was expecting my heart to sink when it sold but the exact opposite has happened. the odd occasions the subject of my old house comes up I am relieved that millstone has gone.

The way I look at it I have 25 years or so until I am ready to retire and possibly come off the road. In that time I would have paid many many many £1,000's in mortgage interest. Starting next year I am going to start saving and I am reasonably confident I can save up enough over the next 25 years to buy a house in a cheap area to settle down in.

I can't worry about future health issues now or I would never do anything. I am having fun now while I am young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it.
The national retirement age is likely to be 70 by the time I get there so I am looking at the next 25 years as the time scale to get myself sorted out.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
over 4 years fulltiming now and the house sold 3 years ago. absolutely no regrets whatsoever. I had no end of problems with the tenant I had and meeting the mortgage under those circumstances was a millstone around my neck. I was expecting my heart to sink when it sold but the exact opposite has happened. the odd occasions the subject of my old house comes up I am relieved that millstone has gone.

The way I look at it I have 25 years or so until I am ready to retire and possibly come off the road. In that time I would have paid many many many £1,000's in mortgage interest. Starting next year I am going to start saving and I am reasonably confident I can save up enough over the next 25 years to buy a house in a cheap area to settle down in.

I can't worry about future health issues now or I would never do anything. I am having fun now while I am young enough and healthy enough to enjoy it.
The national retirement age is likely to be 70 by the time I get there so I am looking at the next 25 years as the time scale to get myself sorted out.
I have no idea how old you are Gromett but my guess is that you are mere slip of a lad. Planning for 25 years is little different from paying a mortgage for the same. Dont plan all your life for reaching 70 and retirement. It's not all it's cracked up to be. My advice is get yourself set up early and enjoy life while you still have the desire to do so.....This is what I have read anyway.:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say work hard save every penny and get the mortgage payed off as fast as you can . i bought mine during the list of dates shift put up earlier . mortgage rates were incredibly high . as they dropped i kept paying the high payments and adding to them .
as endowments matured i had taken out as a teenager i payed them in to get it payed quicker . having bought the house its great . do as i want . come as i want . the rucksack of burden on your shoulders gets lighter but contains more pounds . and a few euros.
sellinh and buying an expensive m,home seems daft to me .
it attracts the rip em off folk . plus in some countries you need carnage de passage . a tax on entry . the dearer the vehicle the more it costs .
there,s more to it than just buying a new m,home . plus houses do go up . new m,homes lose at least 120 grand a year at the start .
buy cheap enjoy the travelling . makes sense to me . if it breaks fix it .if its alot walk away. get another one.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I just wish I could sell my house!
After 9 months in motorhome ( due to arrival of prem granddaughter) I went "home" to my house. Lasted 3 months, was miserable as sin. Now in Dorset, on to Devon tomorrow, dogs, cats and I far happier in Bennie the Benimar!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant see why a house makes you miserable .
you can have time away . store memories or bits . i like mine thats why i bought it .
go ,come . as i want or feel like . allows cheaper vehicle insurance . is an address for license .registration etc . i enjoy going away but enjoy coming back.
if the house brought bad memories then i might change it .
i think too many arent happy go off in a camper yet deep down still arent happy .but think running away cures the unhappiness.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
then its over valued. that was the trouble they got over valued and folk really thought that they were worth it .
get lovely houses around here with lots parking for less than 200grand . some down to 125,000.
how that compares i dont know . but one twop doors away was sold last year for 130,000. lovely place .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Wish I could sell mine at the valuation price. It's been on the market for12 months now with no offers despite dropping the price by £35k !!!

Take it off the market for 6 weeks then put it back on at the original price.

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
only people concerned with the value

of our house is the kids

we bought it to live in

the kids can sell it when we shuffle offt

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

in answer to the question

mummy and daddy left me the money

to buy our camper and thats the one we are keeping

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you have sold your house to purchase a van for full timing in the past few years then I think your bridges are now well and truly burnt.

House prices up by £750 a month for the past year. I wonder what your investment in your home on wheels is now worth.
Great news for some but do you have any regrets.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/388419/House-prices-set-to-soar

Owning a house, is not the be all and end all!
I worked my plums off for over 25 years, paying a mortgage, keeping the lenders happy, with their fat profits, whilst I was sometimes embarrassedly skint. Nothing left after paying the mortgage.
Now I am mortgage free, downsized, an RV and money in the bank.
Who cares what a property is worth? I certainly don't!
Why does an 'investment' in a MH/RV have to be on a par with the drudgery of trying to pay for a house?
I, for one, would be much happier living fulltime in an RV/MH than in some two up, two down. And if my bridges were well and truly burnt, I wouldn't give a damn!

Craig

Craig

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Tofo said mummy and daddy left them the money for their camper an they are keeping it. thats great.
We earned the money to buy our camper. Didn't have it left to us or borrow for it.
We shall downsize the house as and when we feel the need. Spend the equity on nice trips and things before dotage .
Spending the kids inheritance . :thumb:
Let them (our 3kids) earn their own , love em to bits , but won't hand things out on a plate for them. They have to learn to earn , save , then appreciate what they have. Like we do and did.

As for selling up and full timing .:whatthe: Rather stick wasps up my bum:ROFLMAO:

We would rather have a tiny house and a little motorhome . Well I say tiny. Big enough for the kids to come , with their families for Xmas etc.
Not big enough for them to keep coming back , bedroom wise though. :winky:
Love motorhoming though , and we plan on doing a heck of a lot more as we get older and have more time on our hands. But we love coming back to our home too.::bigsmile:
No gin palace for us when we are oldies. We're downsizing to a PVC. In our opinion best of both. Small enough to get to the out of the way places we love. Cheap enough to run on what will be our meagre pension :cry::winky: and a lovely little house to go home to , that's cheap to heat and run.

Last edited:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
No, Why should I? It means nothing.

A second house bought as an investment and you might track each up and down movement of your investment, but your home? No. Up, down, unless you are in negative equity, why should it matter?

I also pay no attention to the value of my house,i dont intend on moving just yet.Its an average sort of house which s paid for so i am looking foward to interest rates soaring so i cop the interest on my savings,cant see much happening a long while yet though :Sad:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Just rechecked, the rate was higher than my original posting;
1979 8 Feb 14.0000%
1 Mar 13.0000%
5 Apr 12.0000%
13 Jun 14.0000%
[HI]15 Nov 17.0000%

1980 3 Jul 16.0000%[/HI]
25 Nov 14.0000%

1981 11 Mar 12.0000%

I wonder how many could live with that rate at the present time?

It would have been hard. However, it doesn't tell the whole story. House prices were a much smaller multiple of average earnings to start with, so whilst the interest was 3 or 4 times what modern people pay, the repayments as a proportion of salary would only have been slightly more.

Secondly, inflation was very high also, so it was more of a forced pay down on the mortgage than money going to waste. After a couple of years of pain, your mortgage was worth a can of beans due to all the inflation.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Stoke, no one want's to go live there it's full of visitors same round here thats why I want to get out.

It will always be boom and bust it's the system that’s wrong they don't want to make a profit they want to make a killing making money out of thin air, we don't make anything any more.
Sorry for the small rant.

I'm looking to sell mine and had thoughts of a static caravan as a base and use the camper to fill in when I have to get off, but the charges are quite high, buy the static then costs up to 6 grand a year depending what size you want, you have to change them after 15-20 years for a new one. a canal barge was the other idea but the same sort of story a thousand pounds a foot rough guide plus mooring etc.

I was going to get a new camper but the horror stories of build quality is putting me off so may go for an older one with all or most of the snags done.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
I re-mortgaged my house in 2008 for 75% of its value and invested the money. In 2011, I paid the loan off in full and made enough money to bring my retirement forward by five years. We will sell the house in four years and then rent. If going full time time means no more work and just travel, then we are there. :thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Although the house prices in Dumfries are far lower than down south it still amazes me when I see all the new houses being built and sold to young couples. I don't know what they get paid so either their on great wages or on 40 year mortgages.

I have just put an offer in for another house it is in need of some TLC so stuck a silly offer in well under the asking price and heyho I got it.

The reason I bought it is its next to my parents and eventually I will move in to it so I can help them when they need it, in the mean time I will spend a few months doing it up I may then move in and rent mine out. I get the keys a week on Thursday and I still haven't told my Mum or Dad :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: not sure if they will be pleased or if they will sell theirs and move :ROFLMAO:

Don't suppose you know anyone who would be interested in buying a lovely 2 bed maisonette in Dumfries??:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
prices are too high for sure . anyone that bought in the last ten years could be in negative equity as they payed too much for the houses . here houses didnt really drop only the too high priced ones . its starting to climb . mind it started two years ago .but now its getting higher .

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I find it quite a sad thing to be concerned about the monetary value of a family home.
House prices have risen and fallen, but I cant see we have "gained" or "lost" value, as we aint moving.
Our house is a small one and it has no monetary value to us.
No idea what it's worth on the market.... don't care.

It's where we live, where we brought our kids up, where we come back to, where Christmas lives, where the grandkids come to see us, where friends know how to find us.

To reduce it to a price would be to rip the soul out of the home, reducing it to nothing more than just a building.
It will only have a value when the clogs have been well and truly popped and the kids have no further use for it.
Let them worry about value.

Whether home is bricks and mortar or a MH, it's home.
Does the value really matter?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I find it quite a sad thing to be concerned about the monetary value of a family home.
House prices have risen and fallen, but I cant see we have "gained" or "lost" value, as we aint moving.
Our house is a small one and it has no monetary value to us.
No idea what it's worth on the market.... don't care.

It's where we live, where we brought our kids up, where we come back to, where Christmas lives, where the grandkids come to see us, where friends know how to find us.

To reduce it to a price would be to rip the soul out of the home, reducing it to nothing more than just a building.
It will only have a value when the clogs have been well and truly popped and the kids have no further use for it.
Let them worry about value.

Whether home is bricks and mortar or a MH, it's home.
Does the value really matter?
Totally agree but I bet it would be hard to resist if someone offered you a couple of million :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back