Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Well, I thought I'd start another thread on the subject.

We've been there a couple of times, mainly travelling along the coast or heading inland and over the Atlas mountains but we have never visited the north coast.
So I was wondering if it's worth a visit.
Have any of our intrepid explorers ventured along the north coast?
and if so what are their opinions and recommendations of places to visit ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes its really fantastic . some high cliff roads and lovely beaches below but hard to get to ,even on foot.
some of the coast road from martil to al hoceima is very rough . we did it in trucks . there are a few real nice fishing villages . but we never found any campsites open in march . did stay in a few villages usually outside police stations . did it a few years ago just after the big earth tremor there . it stopped us going past al hoceima .
heres a few to give you an idea . roads were tracks . and bread came from the big oven fresh in a morning . might be hard for a conventional camper .

Attachments

• P3100285.JPG
    P3100285.JPG
    721 KB · Views: 32
  • P3100280.JPG
    P3100280.JPG
    704.4 KB · Views: 29
  • P3090274.JPG
    P3090274.JPG
    726 KB · Views: 31

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
be warned it can be difficult crossing over to the coast in and around end dec /jan .
must say having done it that way twice . i know why it makes more sense to go down the atlantic coast and come back up end feb /march by inland routes .
once went in november . the rain was terrible all the mud roads were like swamps .
all the fields were like lakes . november is rainy season .
but have fun .

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
We went last year over Xmas and New Year did a clockwise tour Martil, Chefchaouen Volubilis, Meknes, Azrou, Midelt Erg Chebbi, Gorges du Todra, Gorges du Dades, Ouarzazate, Marrakech, Agadir, Tagazoute, Sidi Kaouki, Essaouira, , Safi, Oualida, Moulay Bousselham, Port Tanger. 4 Weeks, 4,000 Kms, Great Trip, fantastic diverse Scenery, Cheap, and very Interesting. Only thing that annoyed us was constant begging. Would certainly go again

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you were lucky normally that marrakech
ouarzazate road can be under snow .even more on the way up to midelt
this was up by azrou on the road to fez .. think the dates are on the pics .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• Morocco 2008-2009 3 308.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 308.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 309.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 309.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Morocco 2008-2009 3 310.jpg
    Morocco 2008-2009 3 310.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 18

MickyP

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 601
Exp
12 years plus
Vwalan I guess we were lucky only snow we had was Azrou to Midelt the road was passable but tricky with black ice in many places Tiz n Ticka Pass was Good we had no rain in 4 weeks, in all guess we were lucky. Next time we want to go a different time of year ? not sure when the best time is to spend a month there but obviously not November, By the way the reason we went clockwise was so we could fast passage up Motorways on west coast if stuck for time we only had a month due to insurance and other commitments. Stayed 6 days at Tagazoute Beach nice walk to town each day.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i say you want the 90 days go middle of december, leave middle of march . then spain/portugal have warmed up.
6 weeks to get to algerciras , 6 weeks to come back . 6 months in all . give or take a bit .
we left early in i think it was 2011 just before some of the riots hit the west coast. i havent been back . mates have . it just spoilt it for me . that winter it was strange . locals i had known for years were different . think they didnt want to say what was happening . a few hours after we left larache they burnt the police station down . not sure who . but in the cafes we used we knew something was happening . glad we left when we did .
will go back possibly next winter . not this one . might be they sort out libya and we can go back there . tunisia libya then egypt . mind cant do syria either so lets hope it all gets sorted .
tunisia is nice but too cold in winter . good m,home country lots free parking .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just noticed micky p is already in spain so doesnt need the twelve weeks coming and going .
might be used to the snow if living in alhama . ha ha .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back