May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
received_796474700701025.jpeg

Obviously I am a Good Boy so it wouldn't have affected me... (Portuguese registered)

JJ :cool:

Deleted User
View attachment 271586

Obviously I am a Good Boy so it wouldn't have affected me... (Portuguese registered)

Just a slight query, how could they know how long the vehicle had been in Portugal especially as the checkpoint was at the border with Spain?

Obviously tax, mot, insurance could be checked, and rightly so, don't know what the customs checks were about though.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A few years ago, a guy who had retired from my workplace bought a static in Portugal. He took his car over there, but didn't register it, or bring it back to UK within the time scales. He got stopped at a ferry port, had the car seized and had to pay a substantial fine.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Just a slight query, how could they know how long the vehicle had been in Portugal especially as the checkpoint was at the border with Spain?

Obviously tax, mot, insurance could be checked, and rightly so, don't know what the customs checks were about though.

1 ANPR at ports etc will give time out of UK.

2 After 6months you are expected to register a vehicle in the new country, paying import tax, registration fees, etc.

Obviously, if you are moving across borders within that time frame then there isn't a problem, other than proving you have done so.
However, if you have taken up residence (or even employment?), with the appropriate documentation, then re-registration is a requirement, I believe.

Gordon

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The Guardia used to do this regularly around the Alicante area especially around school run time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

They don't have to know, you have to prove it.

Deleted User
They don't have to know, you have to prove it.

Prove what exactly? With open borders it would be impossible to prove length of stay either way unless someone trawls through any CCTV footage of the crossings for months at a time,highly unlikely.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Good few years ago I flew out to Portugal to "bring home" a UK registered car that a mates brother had taken out there and not registered. The police spotted it and, fortunately, gave him 10 days to get it out of the country or it would be confiscated. They even insisted that we took a policeman with us to prove it had left Portugal - we left him at the border control point (not there now). No idea how he got home. For a few weeks I was the "owner" of a very nice Jeep until I sold it on for him.

But he doesn't learn - he's got two UK registered cars out there now (plus a Portuguese van) although he's very careful and lives out in the sticks. However wouldn't be surprised to get another call...........

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Prove what exactly? With open borders it would be impossible to prove length of stay either way unless someone trawls through any CCTV footage of the crossings for months at a time,highly unlikely.

Exactly. YOU have to prove where you were or weren't if asked. It's hard to prove/ disprove and not often asked. But if asked the onus is on you. They're not going to trawl through anything, you would have to do the hard work.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

If it were impossible to prove the length of stay, then they wouldn't be setting up roadside checkpoints.

Deleted User
If it were impossible to prove the length of stay, then they wouldn't be setting up roadside checkpoints.

Exactly. YOU have to prove where you were or weren't if asked. It's hard to prove/ disprove and not often asked. But if asked the onus is on you. They're not going to trawl through anything, you would have to do the hard work.

Please explain to me how I or anyone else could prove that a vehicle that is legal in the UK and once it has crossed the channel into the Schengen area could prove either way how long it had been in one particular country.

Deleted User
Good few years ago I flew out to Portugal to "bring home" a UK registered car that a mates brother had taken out there and not registered. The police spotted it and, fortunately, gave him 10 days to get it out of the country or it would be confiscated. They even insisted that we took a policeman with us to prove it had left Portugal - we left him at the border control point (not there now). No idea how he got home. For a few weeks I was the "owner" of a very nice Jeep until I sold it on for him.

But he doesn't learn - he's got two UK registered cars out there now (plus a Portuguese van) although he's very careful and lives out in the sticks. However wouldn't be surprised to get another call...........

That is a different scenario in that the vehicles could not be legal in the UK and were thus illegal in Portugal.

I have seen many examples of these vehicles especially in the more popular Brit areas of Spain.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Please explain to me how I or anyone else could prove that a vehicle that is legal in the UK and once it has crossed the channel into the Schengen area could prove either way how long it had been in one particular country.

I don't know but the authorities can ask you to prove it. Receipts from fuel, supermarkets bank withdrawals etc.

The onus is on you.

Don't shoot me as the messenger, ask someone in authority.

Deleted User
I don't know but the authorities can ask you to prove it. Receipts from fuel, supermarkets bank withdrawals etc.

The onus is on you.

Don't shoot me as the messenger, ask someone in authority.

I am not doubting your word that they may do that in Spain and possibly Portugal but I think it highly unlikely to be asked if when stopped the vehicle is fully legal and with all the correct documentation from the UK.

I would think that the purpose of the Portuguese checks using UK customs and excise was possibly aimed at something other than vehicles overstaying 180 days and that any vehicles confiscated were not legal in the country of origin.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Guardia used to do this regularly around the Alicante area especially around school run time

They do it here in Javea, wait at the schools anyone with UK plates they pull, most with children in school have been here too long. :xsurprised:

I know of two residents with motorhomes that have received a parking ticket for €300 this morning, for parking for more than two days on a public road without moving. :xsurprised:
And No they was not staying in them, they were parked outside their homes. :xangry:
@gus-lopez
Ours is parked behind our apartment, but our car will be outside on the road, we will see.:eek: Bob.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
They do it here in Javea, wait at the schools anyone with UK plates they pull, most with children in school have been here too long. :xsurprised:

I know of two residents with motorhomes that have received a parking ticket for €300 this morning, for parking for more than two days on a public road without moving. :xsurprised:
And No they was not staying in them, they were parked outside their homes. :xangry:
@gus-lopez
Ours is parked behind our apartment, but our car will be outside on the road, we will see.:eek: Bob.

One I saw the ticket, and then there was this one, and also know him and where he parks.

20181211_174627.jpg

It's our local FB group, but as a lot of residents are not lovers of motorhomes for obvious reasons comments were turned off. Bob.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I would tend to think they will be inspecting the documentation to ensure the vehicle is UK legal, hence the DVLA connection. I'd guess that that alone would give a strong indicator how long the vehicle had been in Portugal. Only if there was any doubt would the driver then have to prove anything.

But until someone posts up an official explanation we're all speculating. Safest thing is to do it all properly the first time! Sorry but I've no sympathy for anyone caught doing otherwise - definitely don't want to be involved in an accident with an uninsured vehicle, which these surely will be.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Someone was stopped here a few weeks ago for driving a UK registered car that was SORN, apparently it was a friends car, he was fined €500 and the car was impounded until his :xwink: friend proved ownership and it was legally here, it will probably be getting storage charges. :xgrin: Bob.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Our camper was here for 15 months.

But 3 months before we travelled back to UK, I sold it to the missus. Log book and insurance in her name.

We had no trouble driving to UK :)

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
I would tend to think they will be inspecting the documentation to ensure the vehicle is UK legal, hence the DVLA connection. I'd guess that that alone would give a strong indicator how long the vehicle had been in Portugal. Only if there was any doubt would the driver then have to prove anything.

But until someone posts up an official explanation we're all speculating. Safest thing is to do it all properly the first time! Sorry but I've no sympathy for anyone caught doing otherwise - definitely don't want to be involved in an accident with an uninsured vehicle, which these surely will be.
Sure you are correct ! They do checks on the Costa Del sol for uk vehicles that are not legal ie no mot or tax

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
An Austrian friend of mine got fined for driving a Portuguese vehicle owned by him on his Austrian licence because, after six months, he was meant to have a Portuguese one...

thats weird I thought it was 2 years you had to change your license? but then I thought that having an EU license was exactly that, for all states? Have UKIP lied to me again

just checked it out and it appears there's a difference. between being in the UK and being in Portugal? It's no wonder people get so fed up of the EU, surely the rules should be the same accross the board?

not being critical, just genuinely interested as I can hold a Portuguese passport.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
thats weird I thought it was 2 years you had to change your license? but then I thought that having an EU license was exactly that, for all states? Have UKIP lied to me again

I know nothing!

I understand he paid the fine and got his licence changed...

But I wasn't actually there!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
These 4 freedoms don't quite do what it says on the tin! :xeek: