Did anyone complete the London marathon (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Did you complete it and where did you park your motorhome for the day.
I was driving in London on Saturday and ended up driving around the east section and across Tower Bridge. The place was already buzzing with people and barriers were being assembled everywhere. I pictured myself running it but alas it was just a dream....:)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I managed to do just over an hour...

Then got bored so turned over to another TV channel. ;) :rofl:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Never even made the start line. Huge amounts raised for charities as usual, Even Katie Price raised money, despite not training and pulling a muscle. The picture of the copper on the bike wearing her lung shaped wings over the finishing line for her was priceless

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Yes one of our members, Tom A, completed it, Congratulations Tom well done.

Sue & Eric.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Even Katie Price raised money, despite not training and pulling a muscle. The picture of the copper on the bike wearing her lung shaped wings over the finishing line for her was priceless
I saw what you did there :D

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't remember the exact times but Mo did just over the two hours compared to my son who did the Norwich half marathon in a minute under two hours. Training eh? Mind you Mo is seven years younger. :LOL:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We watched from tower bridge , fantastic atmosphere with everyone shouting and cheering runners on with encouragement. Always makes me feel a tad emotional watching it live seeing how so many people are running for different charities and for different reasons.
There are a lot of kind people out there and we need to hang onto that when we watch the news.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We watched from tower bridge , fantastic atmosphere with everyone shouting and cheering runners on with encouragement. Always makes me feel a tad emotional watching it live seeing how so many people are running for different charities and for different reasons.
There are a lot of kind people out there and we need to hang onto that when we watch the news.
Indeed Kevinthecat couldn't agree more...(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have run 2 half-marathons - the first at age 56 in 1 hour 52 mins.

I would not have liked to have undergone the boredom of the amount of training needed for a full marathon, whereas the 1/2 only needs 7 mile runs and 2-3 x 10 mile ones coming up to the date. However long before doing a half I had been running that distance occasionally, which is why entering did not phase me.

Geoff

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My niece Rachel did it in aid of UNICEF in memory of my mum who was the secretary of her local branch and who signed her up as a kid. First and last she said!
Well done your niece dabhand......(y)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Still recovering from last year?....:)
Life is not a sprint,it’s a marathon......if you live long enough. Well,no, I’ve never done a marathon,just watching it makes me emotional......why is that?!?!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Very sad re Matt Campbell, so I’ll keep it happy, my niece Rachel on the left and her “bezzy” and marathon veteran Joanne finishing yesterday.

39EACFC9-61B8-4879-9B21-2AB19F47B116.jpeg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
To answer your question regarding parking the MH the two times I've run it we used Abbeywood cc site, lovely site and easy access to the start.

This year I watched it on TV and glad I wasn't running in that heat, in 2012 I ran Edinburgh marathon and they had a heatwave that weekend with temps of 27degrees. It's my slowest marathon to date and my only one over 4 hours, all due to the heat and exhaustion. Without going in to great detail but to give you an insight to how heat effects you, during most marathons I sip small amounts of water often and after most will need to pass water within an hour or so. When I did Edinbrugh in the heat I still drank plenty and my wife met me at 12 miles to give me some sports drink to help with hydration, after the race I drank plenty of water and had some coke with my dinner. I didn't pass water until the next day nearly 24 hours after the race, I don't think people realise what the heat does to you it certainly affected me that day.

Norfolk Red

Free Member
Nov 18, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
2 Years
Can't remember the exact times but Mo did just over the two hours compared to my son who did the Norwich half marathon in a minute under two hours. Training eh? Mind you Mo is seven years younger. :LOL:

And don't forget the massive hills and mountains in Norfolk so he did ok. :D being part of the Norfolk Mountain Rescue group I know lol.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Life is not a sprint,it’s a marathon......if you live long enough. Well,no, I’ve never done a marathon,just watching it makes me emotional......why is that?!?!
Possibly because it is something that you have never done and the chances are that it is now too late. Bit like climbing a mounting or joining the Royal Navy.....

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
To answer your question regarding parking the MH the two times I've run it we used Abbeywood cc site, lovely site and easy access to the start.

This year I watched it on TV and glad I wasn't running in that heat, in 2012 I ran Edinburgh marathon and they had a heatwave that weekend with temps of 27degrees. It's my slowest marathon to date and my only one over 4 hours, all due to the heat and exhaustion. Without going in to great detail but to give you an insight to how heat effects you, during most marathons I sip small amounts of water often and after most will need to pass water within an hour or so. When I did Edinbrugh in the heat I still drank plenty and my wife met me at 12 miles to give me some sports drink to help with hydration, after the race I drank plenty of water and had some coke with my dinner. I didn't pass water until the next day nearly 24 hours after the race, I don't think people realise what the heat does to you it certainly affected me that day.
Thanks Lorger... I've never used Abbeywood but it does appear a popular stop over. As far as the heat and running wow it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Long distance running has never been my forte, wrong size wrong weight it never ceases to amaze me the speed that some of these runners can maintain throughout the race...:eek:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Thanks Lorger... I've never used Abbeywood but it does appear a popular stop over. As far as the heat and running wow it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Long distance running has never been my forte, wrong size wrong weight it never ceases to amaze me the speed that some of these runners can maintain throughout the race...:eek:
Yes Abbeywood is popular and a lovely site as it has that country feel to it with easy access to the city. I know what you mean about wrong size and weight as I'm like that :).

Until you actually see them running in the flesh you don't appreciate how fast they're going, they're trundling along just under 5min a mile. If you can imagine sprinting 100 meters as fast as you can then some you'll be close to their speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back