Diabetes and over 70 - C1 Application (1 Viewer)

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Hi
Any type 2 diabetics out their who are over 70 and have retained their C1 category?
We are just looking at the D4 medical form and my partner has his medical with Doctor on Wheels in a couple of weeks. Page 2 the section 2 Diabetes Mellitus questions:
2a) Does the applicant test blood glucose at least twice a day?
He doesn't need to - but what is the best way to answer this question?? He is not on insulin, just l
metformin
2b) Does the applicant test within 2 hours of driving?
No, he doesn't, but should he say he does?

All a bit of a nightmare and worry....
Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
Thank you - helpful download.
We're always honest and it can sometimes cause us difficulties ......
We would be mortified if he lost the C1 category - actually, me more than him as I'd have to do all the driving - and look at tarmac instead of beautiful scenery!!

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
As @Chris says just best to be honest. If you aren't it could invalidate your insurance. My husband had his C1 revoked on health grounds (heart). We appealed and it was reinstated. If you need any help with that I would be happy to tell you what we did. But having type 2 diabetes will not necessarily be a problem judging by the criteria on the link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabetes-mellitus-assessing-fitness-to-drive.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Does he inject insulin? - if not then type 2 diabetes is not notifiable to DVLA

I have been type 2 diabetic for 15 years now controlled by exercise, diet and tablets (metformin) and passed my C1 medical in May no probs :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
F

Freedom Hunter

Free Member
May 6, 2012
Sherborne
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2008
No he doesn't inject insulin and it's not reportable to DVLA. But question 2 on the form just states Diabetes Mellitus - which I had thought was Type 1 - looked it up on Google and it says it's either Type 1 or 2 - so assume he needs to answer these questions?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
No he doesn't inject insulin and it's not reportable to DVLA. But question 2 on the form just states Diabetes Mellitus - which I had thought was Type 1 - looked it up on Google and it says it's either Type 1 or 2 - so assume he needs to answer these questions?

I used Doctors on wheels and found them very good so just ask the doctor for advice (I don't remember anything about blood sugar tests before driving being asked) the whole test took 10 minutes blood pressure& eyesight seemed to be the most important things

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
As Teuchter say's the doctor will help filling in form. I used my own doctor although cost me £111 I needed to get all my medical history correct as type2 also have stents in artery and had heart attack 13 years ago.
The Medical team require me to have exercise ECG with heart consultant which I am having tomorrow, then they will review results and hopefully keep my C1.
Otherwise it will be goodbye motorhome.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bit leery about using my own doc for a driving medical - last time he did the PCV he obviously misread the sight section and I got a letter a few days later telling me not to drive anything! Took a bit of sorting although DVLA were quite quick once it was all explained. Doctor on Wheels for me next time.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
In my opinion Doctors on Wheels are very good - they carry out the test multiple times every day and therefore are more experienced and much more familiar with the intricacies (gobbledegook) of the DVLA forms! This enables them to carry out the medical exam to the correct level without having to worry whether or not they have interpreted the DVLA rules correctly

They are also much cheaper £51 weekdays & £59 Saturdays!! :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think this is the relevant bit
Diabetes treated by medication other than insulin
Severe hypoglycaemia
The Secretary of State’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panel on Driving and Diabetes has defined ‘severe’ as hypoglycaemia requiring another person’s assistance.

Group 1
Car and motorcycle
Managed by tablets carrying hypoglycaemia risk

Including sulphonylureas and glinides ! - May drive and need not notify the DVLA, provided:

■ no more than 1 episode of severe hypoglycaemia in the last 12 months
■ if needed, detection of hypoglycaemia is by appropriate blood glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving and clinical factors, including frequency of driving
■ under regular review.

It is appropriate to offer self monitoring of blood glucose at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.

If the above requirements and those set out in Appendix D are met, the DVLA need not be informed.
Group 2
Bus and lorry

The DVLA must be notified if clinical information indicates the agency may need to undertake medical enquiries. ! - May drive but must notify the DVLA. All the following criteria must be met for the DVLA to issue a licence for 1, 2 or 3 years:

■ no episode of severe hypoglycaemia in the last 12 months
■ full awareness of hypoglycaemia
■ regular self-monitoring of blood glucose – at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving eg no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every 2 hours while driving
■ demonstrates an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia
■ has no disqualifying complications of diabetes that mean a licence will be refused or revoked, such as visual field defect.

I suppose as he has been driving Group 2 vehicles he should have previously notified the DVLA (but not if under 3.5 t) but who would have realised!!!. It looks like the frequent monitoring is required .

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Severe hypoglycaemia
The Secretary of State’s Honorary Medical Advisory Panel on Driving and Diabetes has defined ‘severe’ as hypoglycaemia requiring another person’s assistance.

Group 1
Car and motorcycle
Managed by tablets carrying hypoglycaemia risk

Including sulphonylureas and glinides ! - May drive and need not notify the DVLA, provided:

■ no more than 1 episode of severe hypoglycaemia in the last 12 months
■ if needed, detection of is by appropriate blood glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving and clinical factors, including frequency of driving
■ under regular review.

It is appropriate to offer self monitoring of blood glucose at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.

If the above requirements and those set out in Appendix D are met, the DVLA need not be informed.
Group 2
Bus and lorry

The DVLA must be notified if clinical information indicates the agency may need to undertake medical enquiries. ! - May drive but must notify the DVLA. All the following criteria must be met for the DVLA to issue a licence for 1, 2 or 3 years:

■ no episode of severe hypoglycaemia in the last 12 months
■ full awareness of hypoglycaemia
■ regular self-monitoring of blood glucose – at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving eg no more than 2 hours before the start of the first journey and every 2 hours while driving
■ demonstrates an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia
■ has no disqualifying complications of diabetes that mean a licence will be refused or revoked, such as visual field defect.

I suppose as he has been driving Group 2 vehicles he should have previously notified the DVLA (but not if under 3.5 t) but who would have realised!!!. It looks like the frequent monitoring is required .

Only relevant if individual has been diagnosed as having severe hypoglycemia requiring another persons assistance!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
Severe hypoglycaemia

QUOTE="The Wino, post: 2494394, member: 20245"]I thought I had it wrong but if you look at the web link it appears that is a definition set out at the beginning of the section rather than who it applies to.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabete...etes-treated-by-medication-other-than-insulin. Having said that the driver information leaflet says there is no need to notify if there are no complications and no hypos.[/QUOTE]

MMMmmmhhhh perhaps some DVLA gobbledegook?

Your comment (unless a genuine mistake) "I suppose as he has been driving Group 2 vehicles he should have previously notified the DVLA (but not if under 3.5 t) but who would have realised!!!. It looks like the frequent monitoring is required " is slightly unwise and indeed may heighten the concern of an already slightly concerned @Freedom Hunter? (see their post #4 of this thread "We would be mortified if he lost the C1 category - actually, me more than him as I'd have to do all the driving")

When I had my medical the Doctor from Doctors on Wheels knew I was type 2 diabetic but I still passed without having to inform DVLA or take blood samples to monitor my blood sugar before driving as your post suggests! so I will trust the Doctors judgement on the interpretation of the rules rather than yours in this instance I think :cautious:

No offence meant but I do feel your conclusion is a tad misleading :):):)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
QUOTE="The Wino, post: 2494394, member: 20245"]I thought I had it wrong but if you look at the web link it appears that is a definition set out at the beginning of the section rather than who it applies to.https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabete...etes-treated-by-medication-other-than-insulin. Having said that the driver information leaflet says there is no need to notify if there are no complications and no hypos.

MMMmmmhhhh perhaps some DVLA gobbledegook?

Your comment (unless a genuine mistake) "I suppose as he has been driving Group 2 vehicles he should have previously notified the DVLA (but not if under 3.5 t) but who would have realised!!!. It looks like the frequent monitoring is required " is slightly unwise and indeed may heighten the concern of an already slightly concerned @Freedom Hunter? (see their post #4 of this thread "We would be mortified if he lost the C1 category - actually, me more than him as I'd have to do all the driving")

When I had my medical the Doctor from Doctors on Wheels knew I was type 2 diabetic but I still passed without having to inform DVLA or take blood samples to monitor my blood sugar before driving as your post suggests! so I will trust the Doctors judgement on the interpretation of the rules rather than yours in this instance I think :cautious:

No offence meant but I do feel your conclusion is a tad misleading :):):)[/QUOTE]
Fair enough I didn't mean to panic anyone but it probably was unwise. Looking at the DVLA website it is not made really clear as I said though the drivers information leaflet says as you do that there is no problem. What made me comment was the thought that as we mostly have a licence that covers over 3.5t as a grandfather right who knows who is driving heavier vehicles and needs to meet the higher medical requirements until someone reaches the age of 70?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There is an answer to the Type two diabetes problem.
It involves removal of ALL sugars from your diet, cut the carbohydrates to a little as possible and start to eat fats, proper fats from animals. Carbohydrates are absorbed into the blood stream and trigger the insulin response which the tries to take it to the muscles as energy . However the muscles are already filled and the only place then is the liver and adipose tissue.
Fats do not trigger the insulin and the system than takes energy from the reserves and uses that. also the fats sate the person so no snacking because they are hungry.
It is difficult to explain all the processes on here but if you want to find the definitive answer to the new research look for Ivor Cummins , The Fat Emperor, of the Irish Heart Awareness site on YouTube and if you need it explained simpler than those look for Butter Bob, in 'Butter makes your pants fall down.' He makes it simple just for the US rednecks to understand.
The research over the past ten years and more in the last 5 years all lead to the lies we are bring told in the guidelines put out by the big corporations, all quoting Ancel Keyes faulted research of forty years ago. FAT IS NOT BAD FOR YOU. Animal fats will fix your diabetes and pre-diabetes . It is estimated that 70% of the UK population's affected with the condition.
You can chase a lot of medical conferences that are discussing the research on YouTube as that is where the universities put the work and for other worldwide people to see what was said at these conferences. Vitamin D2 and K3 mk 7 are also very important to a very large number of the cases.
DO NOT COME BACK AND CALL ME NAMES FIRST, JUST LOOK ON THE SITES, then come back to me.
It probably applies to you and your family, nearly every overweight person is caught by the Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin resistance. Starts with small children and the fizzy pops.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
I can personally recommend Michael Mosley's 8 week blood sugar diet. Actually its more than just an 8 week system, got my blood pressure down, my bad cholesterol down and generally felt fitter. I've also come back from being pre-diabetic. He makes the same point as @GWAYGWAY regarding fat.
https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have been trying to get the message out to as many of my contacts as possible, the trouble is that it is so contradictory to the perceived truths of the past 40 years that nobody believes what is being said. The big food corporations and pharmaceutical companies have the truth tied up in lies. Even the mainstream medical community have not seen the current literature and still follow the guidelines. There are a few leaks into the press but nothing groundbreaking yet. Vitamin D3 at real levels of 6000iu's not 400iu's and K 2 MK7 ,will be the BIG breakthrough in the near future. They affect SO MANY of the current diseases of modern life as to be worth covering up for profit reasons. Sun creams alone make £80 million per year, and statins a huge figure worldwide, big pharma want the money so try and cove the truths , that are coming out over the past ten years.
If you are overweight and/or prediabetic I urge you to look at the medical conference websites available to view on YouTube. It is your life and you only get one of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back