Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
having type 2 diabetes myself for the last few years and having had it under control with diet and tablets and never, [to my knowledge], suffered any insurance loading or increased premium because of it. i got to wondering if i were to require to go onto insulin injections in the future, [i thought this only applied to type 1] but according to the diabetic nurse, it is also very common for type 2 patients to end up on insulin as well,not to prevent hypos, but to help keep good stable control as you get older! do the insurance companies take a different view on the condition and charge accordingly, or even refuse cover if you are on insulin? i am also led to believe that you must notify the dvla about the insulin and you are then restricted to 3500kgs and are required to have yearly medicals ! as i am in the process of looking for my first A class i thought it might be prudent of me to seek the answer to this question now rather than later! diabetes is being diagnosed in more and more people nowadays so i am sure i am not the first person to find themselves in this position and i cetainly wont be the last !

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks chrisgreen . looks like a usefull site for me to put in favorities ! i would still like to hear from any funsters who have actually had to go through the whole process though,as sometimes the reality is somewhat different than it is supposed to be in theory .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I know quite a few funsters have this condition and will be along to help soon

MadMerv

Free Member
Jun 23, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Type 2

your quite right in that you have to notify DVLA if on insulin!
They will check your Dr`s/diabetic nurse to see if you have good control of you blood sugars.
You insurers can not discriminate against you being diabetic!
As long as you have no hypos needing help from others, you will get a limited license 1, 2, 3, years, and must check you b/s before driving!
Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thanks for the replies so far guys. weighing up some of the pros and cons involved and not having a crystal ball i think i will certainly limit my hymer search to 3500kgs max for starters anyway ! i take it i would still be allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kgs if req ? i also take it that the usual insurance companies [comfort ,safeguard etc ] are ok quoting on insulin users ? its no fun getting older is it !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back