DFDS Newhaven Dieppe booking for Oct 2018 (1 Viewer)

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Hi All
Anyone know when bookings for October onward open?
Although a regular traveller Dover to Dunkirk in the car we are planning first trip abroad in the moho and like the look of starting just a bit further down France.
DFDS seem to view Newhaven route very differently, we get frequent offers for all the other routes but nothing for this one. Is it due to its subsidised nature?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the timetable comes out in April. They do have special offers but they don't publise them. Recently booked a return for £89, if I had booked the week before it would have been £210 just pot luck, apparently they had an offer for Motorhome but didn't tell anyone about it.
Don't forget if you make the booking by phone or at the port 20% discount if you are over 60.
As we only live 20 miles from Newhaven if heading down the west side of France it saves us 400 miles on a round trip cheaper & easier even if it costs over £200.

OP
OP
Scotsblood

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Don't forget if you make the booking by phone or at the port 20% discount if you are over 60.
As we only live 20 miles from Newhaven if heading down the west side of France it saves us 400 miles on a round trip cheaper & easier even if it costs over £200.

Thanks Lenny but still got a few years before I can 'enjoy' the discount I'm afraid!
Not a great difference in mileage for us coming down from Lincolnshire, 198 to Dover , 205 to Newhaven but want to do Normandy so the more westerly entry to France seems better.
Marketing of this route seems very poor, I wondering if the subsidy means they don't want to draw too much attention!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
As Lenny said they are not good at updating their website. In spite of being part of the DFDS group Newhaven still seems to operate very much as an independent port. It's friendly and charmingly 'old fashioned' on the ground, unlike Dover which I have used quite often when heading for countries to the East and which I still find rather intimidating. I always look at the website for a guide to times and prices but phone to book. The (usually French) phone booking ladies have always been most helpful and pleasant.

OP
OP
Scotsblood

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Update!
Messaged DFDS as no sign of bookings opening, received reply from French booking office saying "I cannot give you a precise date. However, it may be towards the end of May or the beginning of June or later."
Seems a strange way to do business but I suppose a French style shrug of the shoulders is the obvious response!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
......received reply from French booking office saying "I cannot give you a precise date. However, it may be towards the end of May or the beginning of June or later."
Seems a strange way to do business but I suppose a French style shrug of the shoulders is the obvious response!

I refer my Anxious Friend to the reply I gave earlier:
Newhaven still seems to operate very much as an independent port. It's friendly and charmingly 'old fashioned' .......
;)

Bit of a nuisance though if you have to firm up plans well ahead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Not the sharpest chisel in the toolbox. I just booked Dieppe to Newhaven for 10 days time. Luckily I read the confirmation email, which said Newhaven to Dieppe. When I called them back they said “on this occasion we won’t charge you for changing the booking”.

They do, however, still provide 20% discount for silver/grey hair. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back