LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes he's still there, have you ever seen anyone checking if youv paid we havnt and the French never seem to get a ticket, must admit we got there late last time and we didn't pay either because we were offearly but usualy do
We've not seen anyone checking the tickets. The last time I went to pay the parking fee, there was already a ticket in the dispenser, but nobody was around to claim it.............so I did. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ring them up and remember if your over 60 you get 20% discount. BUSBY.
Thanks, gave them a call, positive result, although the web booking states 6.5m they in fact allow up to 12m and as you correctly advised a 20% discount for over 60s, telephone booking to claim this discount. Thanks.

OP
OP
Tom A
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the replies. I booked Dover-Dunkirk for a 7M van. £93 return. Roll on 7 weeks tomorrow.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Out of interest. Yesterday I read an article in "The Times" that stated the DFDS had leased not purchased 2 0f the 3 vessels used by MyFerryLink from The Channel Tunnel Company. Now the dispute by the UK competitions authority was that the vessels were owned by the Channel Tunnel Company, so that resulted in that company having to big a hold on the cross channel traffic market. MyFerryLink also leased the vessels from The Channel Tunnel company and was a cooperative run by the crews. The Channel Tunnel Company are now trying to get the MyFerryLink cooperative put into administration.

There is therefor no change in who owns the vessels, so the status quo remains, but the UK government has reduced the competition on the Dover - Calais ferry crossings by banning one operator (MyFerryLink) from using Dover Harbour. No wonder they are striking as they stand to lose 400 jobs.

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Just booked Dunkirk - to Dover on Sat 15th on the 8:00am sailing, will overnight Friday night on the Gravelines aire as suggested by Chaser.

Booked a landbridge fare ( includes the Fishguard - Rosslare section) as it was the cheapest option to get home

We are going out direct to France next Thursday so can't wait

Thanks again for all your help

Raymond

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for the advice, it looks like Dunkirk is the better option.

Have any of you stayed overnight in Dunkirk, I seem to remember someone mentioning parking in front of the office building

Thanks
Raymond
yes , Dunkirk every time for me. You are allowed to park for a maximum of 15 days in the office car park .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just booked Dunkirk - to Dover on Sat 15th on the 8:00am sailing, will overnight Friday night on the Gravelines aire as suggested by Chaser.

Booked a landbridge fare ( includes the Fishguard - Rosslare section) as it was the cheapest option to get home

We are going out direct to France next Thursday so can't wait

Thanks again for all your help

Raymond
If you like French markets, there is an excellent one in gravelines on Fridays, so if you are interested it might be worth your while to get there during the day, also if you eat out there is a restaurant over the other side of the marina , towards lidl called au cap compass, that we have been to many times and never been disappointed at the meals or cost, but as someone else mentioned there are good places in the town square for meals and bars.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is therefor no change in who owns the vessels, so the status quo remains, but the UK government has reduced the competition on the Dover - Calais ferry crossings by banning one operator (MyFerryLink) from using Dover Harbour. No wonder they are striking as they stand to lose 400 jobs.

Perhaps they should be looking at a different port to Dover - Harwich to ? might be popular for those from the north who don't want to go round the M25.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Dare I politely suggest that advertising here when you will be away from home could have repercussions.

Reactions: f6c

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Roll on the return of Zeebrugge. It was far better for Holland Belgium and Germany.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
did you have to remind people not to say thay wont be at home,, im a pro thief who needs to know these things, now,, wheres all the addresses gone to ,lol

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
did you have to remind people not to say thay wont be at home,, im a pro thief who needs to know these things, now,, wheres all the addresses gone to ,lol
You can call at our house anytime while we are away, and while you are there can you please feed the dog, he would be very pleased to see you.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
no prob jumar, ive got steak for every dog,, ops, its laced with sleeping powder
you dont think i like dogs ,ha ha

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We used Dunkirk in May and wouldn't use Calais again now. Stayed overnight on the Dunkirk ferry car park ready for a good start south in the morning.
Didn't know about the reduction for over 60's though. Not that we are over 60 of course.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
thanks for that. I will use that bit of info. as I am now 70.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Looks like it does have conditions for the over 60s discount. Broken Link Removed
Still it's not unknown for the staff not to be aware of these offers so still worth a try.

Reactions: f6c
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Looks like it does have conditions for the over 60s discount. Broken Link Removed

There's always conditions. Why do they do it? I've just discovered DFDS do Tesco tokens, then discovered its only for cars under 2.35m high. And it appears the 20% discount for over 60s is only on Newhaven/Dieppe route. I was thinking about changing my long-held anti-DFDS position, and booking Dover/Dunkirk. Not now, evidently. It's really a minefield, you have to pick your way through.

What difference is it if it's over 2.35m, they can still fit them in, the ferry is going anyway. The last DFDS ferry I used some years ago was nearly empty, and they really whacked up the return cost by 3 times for on-day travel, having arrived a day early. That really annoyed me, which is why I have never used them since.

In the 60s, you could just drive up to any ferry, if you had booked on another, they'd just wave you in. I know times are different, but can't get over the fact that if there's space in the ferry, why do you have to pay a premium to change? As someone said, it's their trainset. But it doesn't make me want to use it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What difference is it if it's over 2.35m,

, but can't get over the fact that if there's space in the ferry, why do you have to pay a premium to change? .
Yes, the height charge makes me laugh when I am between 2 artics. :LOL:
If you book the 'flexible' ticket at £20 more, then you can arrive 3 days either side of your booking & assuming there is space you go on the next available ferry with no additional charge. BUT if (like I did first time) you ring to change it they have to charge you the difference.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I just booked dfds with Dover eurochange they offer a fully flexible ticket which if you want to change the day you contact them a couple of days prior to your booked date and they amend your ticket. If it is within the same day as your original date you just turn up at the ferry and they switch you no extra to pay.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
We stayed overnight at Gravelines on our way to the WW1 journey late April/June this year and it was very quiet, however it was a different story on the way home. It was a French B.H. so was very busy and lots of places were closed. The Pizza van in the square is recommended Must keep Grand-Fort-Philippe in mind if Gravelines is full.
I know I am late into your journey but have a great time
:france::france::wine::wine:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My earlier photo of the empty aire was just before Xmas last year, they had a market on that was far better than others we had been to but not advertised anywhere , a real authentic French Xmas market , well worth a visit

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
got to be gravelines?

finyar

Free Member
Sep 30, 2014
Wexford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Since 2004
Hi all,
We have just returned from a lovely holiday and wanted to say thanks for your advice.

We stayed in Gravelines as suggested and also used DFDS from Dunkirk.

There was absolutely no problems with migrants ( we saw 2 on the motorway ) and found Dunkirk port easy enough to manage.

DFDS were very busy and while the crossing was good, I thought the boat could have done with a good clean, perhaps they were struggling to cope with the increase traffic as every crossing on the day we returned were full.

Regards
Raymond

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dare I politely suggest that advertising here when you will be away from home could have repercussions.

And we always have one of the kids and or some of the 7 million ( thats what it feels like some times ) grandkids and their husbands staying in the house.. In fact to be honest, there is proly MORE activity in and around the house when we are away than when at home !!!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you want to go to the market get there early morning as it finishes at lunchtime, as do most French markets.

Denise

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You all knew I'd be in on this one wouldn't you;)
Our first and last stop on every trip over, love the place, never seen it full though,View attachment 70020

We'll be there next Monday after exiting the tunnel.
Always use Calais Aire on our return but that'll be end of October.
Dover Calais for us tunnel or ferry whichever is cheapest. Hate ferries at the best of time have no intention of spending more time than necessary on one.

Been through Calais 4 times in the last 2 months not had a single problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back