DFDS Dieppe Ferry Port? (1 Viewer)

Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
We are booked on the 05.30 early morning ferry on 4th. October. Do you know if we can enter the port/boarding area the evening before? Save going on an Aire and getting to the port at silly o’clock.
TIA

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you roll up early you may get straight on a ferry if there’s space, we have done a few times 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
We have arrived a couple of times around midnight for an early sailing, no gates to worry about, straight off the roundabout into the approach lanes, parked up, along with a few others getting a few hours sleep before the boat. Not been since the Covid problems, but seems quite relaxed compared to many other ports.
Otherwise follow the Quai de la Marne which skirts along the port perimeter fence and the aire is on the left after the car park.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We have arrived a couple of times around midnight for an early sailing, no gates to worry about, straight off the roundabout into the approach lanes, parked up, along with a few others getting a few hours sleep before the boat. Not been since the Covid problems, but seems quite relaxed compared to many other ports.
Otherwise follow the Quai de la Marne which skirts along the port perimeter fence and the aire is on the left after the car park.
Yes, we noticed the aire on our penultimate return from Dieppe. Unfortunately, we were towing a caravan so had to take a chance an leave it in the Loading Lanes while we went for a leg stretching wander, hoping that there wasn't a fit of French enthusiasm and/or early ferry arrival while we were strolling ...

Steve

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
If you use the Aire when you exit you need to get really close to the barrier for it to open. Smashing aire though, not far into town

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just park in the right at the entrance to the port.
Don't make the mistake we did of parking in the carpark, dozens of French arrived about 4:30 to pick up their kids from the ferry it was mayhem. Doubt if it will be a problem this year.

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
As you say - very laid back. Arrived at gates around 7pm and parked behind a motorhome already there. Sorted ourselves out and in bed for 9pm. Even had a knock to wake us up at 03.15. So everything went like clockwork. Thanks.
However, thoroughly spoilt with the French roads. We could pootle along at 40 mph - nobody up my dirt box - so little traffic. Got back to Newhaven and our run to Burnley - cars and lorries everywhere. Get me back to France.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Dieppe is a great port to sail from. Very relaxed.
We once arrived in from Newhaven at about 11pm and headed straight for the aire.
Ended up moving to an inland aire at 1am due to youths trying door handles and checking out bike racks etc. I watched them out of the window and they were filtering in and out of the aire through a hole in the fence and hiding in bushes.
I couldn’t work out whether they were locals after nicking anything they could get their hands on (there were a few cars with stereos on loud whilst they fished) or immigrants trying to climb aboard.
Either way, I don’t work hard for some sh#t to damage my Motorhome and didn’t want to risk staying.
It was a shame as I would have liked to have looked around Dieppe and it’s museum from the war.
Hope you have a great trip though.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Dieppe is a great port to sail from. Very relaxed.
We once arrived in from Newhaven at about 11pm and headed straight for the aire.
Ended up moving to an inland aire at 1am due to youths trying door handles and checking out bike racks etc. I watched them out of the window and they were filtering in and out of the aire through a hole in the fence and hiding in bushes.
I couldn’t work out whether they were locals after nicking anything they could get their hands on (there were a few cars with stereos on loud whilst they fished) or immigrants trying to climb aboard.
Either way, I don’t work hard for some sh#t to damage my Motorhome and didn’t want to risk staying.
It was a shame as I would have liked to have looked around Dieppe and it’s museum from the war.
Hope you have a great trip though.
When we was there the police was about as there was migrants up on the cliff top coming down to the port

May 30, 2013
Vale of Glamorgan, Barry, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2010
We really like this crossing and the port of Dieppe. We prefer the Aire at the end of the promenade opposite the port. It is close to the town, the beach, nice walks and there is plenty to see.
It is also a reasonably priced crossing especially with the over 60s discount available if you book direct by phone. it is a cheaper alternative to BF and ideal for a short break along the Cote D’Albatre.
We have not been across since the beginning of COVID and are missing it!! Roll on the spring!

OP
OP
kimndon
Aug 2, 2019
Hapton, Burnley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
Since 2007
Last time we were in Dieppe we hadn’t discovered the older part. So lucky this time as we were here for 2 days and enjoyed the old area with it’s large Saturday market. And I agree, Littlewheels, the UK is a rubbish tip - no respect. However we do manage to pick up more dog poo than the French manage!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back