Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just starting up
Heading to Devon in August. We are staying between Totnes and Paignton for a few day. My family is organizing a birthday do in a fab looking pub in East Prawle. It wil be my first time driving the camper in Devon, and having been on Google street view I am beginning to panic about getting there. The roads look pretty narrow. I have driven in the lanes in a car, but several years ago. Our camper in 7 m long. Any locals know the route? Is it feasible? Thinking of getting up early and doing the drive before everyone else to lessen the chances of meeting anyone!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We was down there last year in Paignton at the C& CC site , don't rely on your sat nav mine took me down a narrow lane but having said that the road I should have taken wasn't much better in parts, but plan your route and take your time and you should be ok. Peter :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi there is a big milk depot at totnes or there was . tankers arrive from all over the place . trucks have to use just about all the lanes . dont worry drive slowly and just read the road ahead and if something is coming pull in and let it go past. artics and tankers and drag .have to just crack on with the work. narrow lanes are the way down here . we dont like busy cities ,ha ha .
look out for tractors they have right of way . or so they think. hee hee .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I think vwalan and others have hit the spot here - take your time, don't rely on a SatNav, plan your route carefully using a conventional map and you'll be fine. You'll probably find that many oncoming drivers will make way for you in the narrow bits. If they don't, then you stop first and tuck in as far as you can.

Totnes is a brilliant town which I'm sure you'll enjoy. Hope your birthday bash goes really well for you too.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We've spent many holidays in and around the South Hams, our favourite spots are Dartmouth, Totnes, Stoke Fleming, Slapton Sands, Salcombe, but that was before we got the mh.

Some of the roads between Totnes and Dartmouth can get very narrow, especially around Tuckenhay and those smaller roads. Gorgeous area but beware of the narrow roads with the high hedges, some are a nightmare for larger vans:Doh:
The roads in Darmouth are quite narrow too, but we would use the Park and Ride when we go there the next time probably, if just going to Dartmouth for a few hours. The road from the top of the hill up by the naval college along to Slapton Sands is fine though.
Bill

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Word of caution - behind that lush greenery that lines some of the roads is a stone wall. Most overhanging stuff has been trimmed by larger vehicles. Have you done Loch Lomand? - that is scary :whatthe: far, far worse than Devon. Brother and sister-in-law live in Totnes and we've had our Autotrail Mohican down there several times; just take your time.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
coaches, trucks ,furniture wagons all have to use them . normal routine . no other way of getting by. just dont pull too close as stones very often stick out of the hedges hidden by the long grass.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
coaches, trucks ,furniture wagons all have to use them . normal routine . no other way of getting by. just dont pull too close as stones very often stick out of the hedges hidden by the long grass.

Yup! I can vouch for that. :cry: Nasty scrape down the passenger door. Ho-hum:Doh:

That was actually in Cornwall, but there's little difference between them road-wise.

John

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
being a tgruck driver i also have lost a few mirrors . look out for low strong branches they can hook a mirror so easy . once lost some then two days after having new ones did the same again . .wasnt the favourite driver for awhile at 500quid a throw.
live and learn.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Word of caution - behind that lush greenery that lines some of the roads is a stone wall. Most overhanging stuff has been trimmed by larger vehicles. Have you done Loch Lomand? - that is scary :whatthe: far, far worse than Devon. Brother and sister-in-law live in Totnes and we've had our Autotrail Mohican down there several times; just take your time.

When we did the Loch Lomond road (A82) the last time it was very much improved and had been straightened out. Between the narrow lanes in Devon and the road up the west side of Loch Lomond, I'd feel better on the Loch Lomond road.
The majority of the main roads in south Devon are ok, but once you get onto the narrow back roads it gets a bit hairy:cry:
We've always found the locals will go faster than the tourists and that's when the hassles can start, if us visitors want to take it a bit easier
Bill

OP
OP
moo963

moo963

Free Member
Sep 27, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just starting up
Thanks for all your advice. I am quite happy with the drive down to Totnes, but will carefully plan the route to East Prawle, looking out for branches and errant stone walls. I think the getting up early plan will be a good one!
:Smile:

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Speaking as a local yokel then I do understand that the lanes of Sunny Deb’n can be a little daunting to the uninitiated. I know this because when our relatives from Manchester come to visit and we drive them to one of the more out the way pubs they have to close their eyes in the car because we treat a single track Devon lane as if it were the M5. This seemingly reckless behaviour is honed from knowing the lanes well and driving at all times with our feet hovering over the brake pedal. On the plus side we are used to meeting terrified visitors coming the other way and we really do make allowances. A bigger plus is that you will be passing through stunning scenery so just take your time and get there dreckly my ‘ansome

Richard & Lynne

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tincataylor's hit the nail on the head, do as the locals do, Summin commin tother way?

Hammer down close eyes and hope they are a Grockle or an Emmet:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Tincataylor's hit the nail on the head, do as the locals do, Summin commin tother way?

Hammer down, close eyes and hope they are a Grockle or an Emmet:ROFLMAO::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back