Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Bit worried about where to park the motorhome whilst touring these two counties.
Any suggestions as to the best method of getting around?
we have bikes ,are there any rail trails,or is it best to get buses to major towns.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Carnon Downs is a good central site nr Truro - lots of good local walks and pubs and on a bus route! Excellent site and great facilities

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just go where ever you want .theres loads of places in every town to stop . playparks .super markets . quiet roads . a few wild beach carparks . i,m sure you will find them . clifftop
parking is almost every where.
you could stop a night here in my front garden if you want . its tarmac . very often have a camper stoping for a few days so check first. but another place is available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
there is so much to see in north Devon and the Tarka trail runs along old railway tracks. it is rather hilly but the old rail tracks cut out the worse of the hills. historic houses, zoos, beaches, cliff walks and fishing are plentiful.
busses will usually stop by request
Best two counties in the UK, plus of course the pasties and cream teas:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and cider Oh yes the cider:thumb::thumb::thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Plenty of places to stop in Cornwall, and plenty of cycle trails and byways. I think on the byway side of things, there are 260 miles of them which often link better than roads.

Lots of small rail links too - for example, St Austell to Newquay is a couple of pounds return, and you can take you bikes. Easier to do that than drive there or cycle. Interesting routes on disused lines, treffrey bridge was one of the first aqua/viaducts built in cornwall. Featured in The Omen 3 apparently. They recently rescued and refurbished the old line around that area too.

So much to investigate - give me a shout when you come over and I can lend you some maps.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Be very careful in Cornwall not to rely on your satnav. Quite likely it will take you down single track roads and you will be scraping the sides. Of course it gets even worse if somebody is coming the other way. Best to look at the map and avoid the very thin roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Be very careful in Cornwall not to rely on your satnav. Quite likely it will take you down single track roads and you will be scraping the sides.

It's not only satnavs - my copilot has a tendency to do the same :ROFLMAO:

Seriously tho kiwicamper, we are regular visitors to Devon and Cornwall, and have had very little problem finding somewhere to park up or getting around in the van. There are some scrapey moments, but worth a few branch scrapes to get to some of the most beautiful spots in the UK ::bigsmile:

Ordnance Survey Explorer maps are useful in deciding if a road is just too skinny. In combination with iPad and Googlemaps to spot possible parking places.

National Trust car parks are very useful if you're looking for a quiet spot with stunning views to park up. Worth getting a NT sticker if you can. Or you can join up online and print off temporary membership to display.

Jamie.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just becarefull near st agnes and blue hills area by the coast .its narrow steep and i can only just sneak through in my bongo ,width and height a problem . but its well sign posted .
always keep eyes open for width /height signs its important .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back