Devon & Cornwall (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are planning a trip to Devon and Cornwall area in October. We have 6 days only as we are from Newcastle and have a wedding to attend at Bigbury 31st October. Before heading home.

Will be a family trip with my wife and 2 boys 8 & 10. Will have the mountain bikes, paddle boards and maybe my Kite surfing gear if (I can sneak it on when she's not looking).

Having not been before im Keen for any suggestions of must sees / stays from those who know the area well. (Wife prefers some facilities and ehu)

Initial thoughts are 2 nights Woolacombe, 2 Newquay next to Gammel estuary at Quary Field. 2 at St Ives ??

Also need to find a safe pull in for a sleep on route down somewhere approaching Bristol just off the M5 looks about as far as I think I could manage.

Many thanks

Dan

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Hi one of the problems with Cornwall is beach access.
damage barton@ woolacombe is a nice site or if you want to be near the beach there is an overnight stay at the top car park but no facilities, probably better suited for yourselves. some of our favorites in Cornwall near Newquay are mother ivey‘s bay at padstow, which has a private beach on site, good surf. padstow is lovely. Treago farm at crantock lovely independent site with lovely walk to holly well bay beautifull beach, but a long walk with your kit, nice new barn pub on site.
Never stayed at st Ives as normally too busy but trevalgan touring park is on our bucket list. If your after a nice view from the van treweth farm c&m site is great, You can walk to the beach on the footpath but it’s tidal and will take 20 mins,if you go non electric on the hill the sunsets are amazing. There are a few beach car parks around the area but still a good walk with the kit.
The best surf beach is at sennen cove but thats a long way.
Thinking about it mother Ivey bay would prob be your best site.
might see you there ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi one of the problems with Cornwall is beach access.
damage barton@ woolacombe is a nice site or if you want to be near the beach there is an overnight stay at the top car park but no facilities, probably better suited for yourselves. some of our favorites in Cornwall near Newquay are mother ivey‘s bay at padstow, which has a private beach on site, good surf. padstow is lovely. Treago farm at crantock lovely independent site with lovely walk to holly well bay beautifull beach, but a long walk with your kit, nice new barn pub on site.
Never stayed at st Ives as normally too busy but trevalgan touring park is on our bucket list. If your after a nice view from the van treweth farm c&m site is great, You can walk to the beach on the footpath but it’s tidal and will take 20 mins,if you go non electric on the hill the sunsets are amazing. There are a few beach car parks around the area but still a good walk with the kit.
The best surf beach is at sennen cove but thats a long way.
Thinking about it mother Ivey bay would prob be your best site.
might see you there ?
Awesome thanks will check these out.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Trevedra farm at sennen cove near lands end is really good surf beach, gwynver beach,15 minute walk from site, but it’s a 2 hr run from Newquay. In fact if water sports is your thing I would focus on mother Ivey’s bay then head to Trevedra ? or possibly making it a longer trip, as it’s a long drive from your place there and back

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Also need to find a safe pull in for a sleep on route down somewhere approaching Bristol just off the M5 looks about as far as I think I could manage.
If it is literally a pull in for a night sleep, then Gloucester services on M5 allow overnight Motorhome parking. It is away from the lorry parking and has showers and toilets but costs £23, but you get £5 voucher for the rather nice farm shop.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We stayed at Briarfields Touring Caravan Park which is less than a mile off the M5 at Jctn 11. You can get a bus from the gates to either Cheltenham or Gloucester

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Another vote for Briarfields, aways use when going to Cornwall from the North East. By the way it's now adults only.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I would stay eddievanbitz camp site, Its called The Cornish Farm, just off M5 near Taunton.
You wont find a better shower block, and it has hook ups and wash up facilities.
Tempting shop with loads of MH electrickery bits also.
Best to book before leaving home though.
Have Fun
LES

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Been a few years since cornwall but we did 15 surfing down there.
Only one realistic choice up at Woolacombe which is the car park, quite a trek otherwise
Newquay, Quarry Field makes sense as it is about as close as you can reasonably expect to get and it sounds like you have been before so should know the tides of the Gannel as the river can change very quickly, Kitesurfing will be at the South end of the beach though towards the Bowgie Inn (who do pub stopovers with good view of Crantock Beach.
If i were going with your gear and had to go to St Ives I would do Hayle instead and use Churchtown Farm where you can just back on to the beach and you still get rollers coming in.

I would be tempted to leave out Woolacombe because you now need to travel the A39 instead of hot footing it up and down the A30. I would replace it with wither Perranporth Haven or St Agnes Beacon Farm and probably plump for the latter so i could salivate outside the old meadery which used to do the best (and only) meal out we would go for.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Hi
Safe pull on for night at Asda carpark Bristol cribbs Causeway. Park at back by overnite lorries very safe as security at Asda and free.

October- very late season for Cornwall, check opening times of site you need open all year ones or CLs

Aye St Ives- lovely site, expensive but 10mins up hill from town. Nice bike ride over to carbis bay that time of year.

TBH Newquay October you will need to check what sites are open if not doing independents

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If it is literally a pull in for a night sleep, then Gloucester services on M5 allow overnight Motorhome parking. It is away from the lorry parking and has showers and toilets but costs £23, but you get £5 voucher for the rather nice farm shop.
This sounds a good option thanks

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
When travelling back home along the M5 we always stop in to stock up on the Old Spot sausages from the butcher for the freezer, its been a while since we were last there and we have nearly run out. Must pay a visit - would it be classed as essential?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I have never done tebay services. I don’t normally do services at all really, more on a needs must basis

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Been a few years since cornwall but we did 15 surfing down there.
Only one realistic choice up at Woolacombe which is the car park, quite a trek otherwise
Newquay, Quarry Field makes sense as it is about as close as you can reasonably expect to get and it sounds like you have been before so should know the tides of the Gannel as the river can change very quickly, Kitesurfing will be at the South end of the beach though towards the Bowgie Inn (who do pub stopovers with good view of Crantock Beach.
If i were going with your gear and had to go to St Ives I would do Hayle instead and use Churchtown Farm where you can just back on to the beach and you still get rollers coming in.

I would be tempted to leave out Woolacombe because you now need to travel the A39 instead of hot footing it up and down the A30. I would replace it with wither Perranporth Haven or St Agnes Beacon Farm and probably plump for the latter so i could salivate outside the old meadery which used to do the best (and only) meal out we would go for.
Thanks for this. Yes good point may well make sense to miss out Woolacombe as we are limited to 6 days in the area. Wouldn't normally consider a Haven tbh but I get that the direct beach access is otherwise difficult. Thanks again much appreciated

allski/snr.

Free Member
May 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
citreon relay pvc
Exp
absolutley yonks
Hello Big Bet, When you come down south to do your six day stay and complete all your activities you will be (in cornwall) miles away from "BIGBURY" My favourite place in the UK Just been viewing my photos of the tractor and of the Burgh Island Hotel, Wish I were with you on the 31st Enjoy. P.S. mother wasborn in Biker!!!!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think you're being very ambitious for a six day trip! It's a awful long way from Newcastle to St Ives in six days. There's so much to see and do in Devon, without even reaching Cornwall.

OP
OP
BigBetty
Oct 21, 2019
North Shields
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think you're being very ambitious for a six day trip! It's a awful long way from Newcastle to St Ives in six days. There's so much to see and do in Devon, without even reaching Cornwall.
I know and I'm sure we will be back at some point. But the school break and a wedding to attend limits us this time. Cheers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back