Devils Brood (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi got the final book in the trilogy for xmas, now hoping for some peace and quiet to read it. :Smile:

To anybody who hasn't a clue what its about, its a fictional account of Henry II, he's the one who had a little bother with old Thomas Becket.:ROFLMAO: Although fictional its very accurate in events and the people involved, to me this is how history should be taught.

Have to admit its not for the faint hearted, this book is over 800 pages, and from memory the other two are similar. Sharon Penman is one of my favourite authors.

Olley

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds interesting Olley, come back here when your half way through and let us know if its worth buying:thumb:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi jim having read the other two, plus her Welsh trilogy, which starts with the childhood of Llewellyn the Great and finishes with the death of the last Welsh prince, Llewellyn ap Gruffudd, I know it will be good. :Smile:

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
One of my sadest losses with my eyesight is that I cannot read anymore. I really miss it.

BUT all is not lost. Just discovered calibre audiobooks books. I will see if they have it coz it sounds good.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
One of my sadest losses with my eyesight is that I cannot read anymore. I really miss it.

BUT all is not lost. Just discovered calibre audiobooks books. I will see if they have it coz it sounds good.

Have you thought about an Amazon Kindle 2 ebook reader??

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=amb_link_86425591_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1AGDCQWP3KTNYRHW2DPB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=506632571&pf_rd_i=507846[/ame]

It has the facility to read any book you download to you. Its not perfect and can sound a bit robotic but is just another advantage to this great bit of kit. :thumb: Only available from USA at the moment (but i have seen them for sale on Ebay :Eeek:)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Have you thought about an Amazon Kindle 2 ebook reader??

Link Removed

It has the facility to read any book you download to you. Its not perfect and can sound a bit robotic but is just another advantage to this great bit of kit. :thumb: Only available from USA at the moment (but i have seen them for sale on Ebay :Eeek:)
Thanks for the thoought.
Calibre have over 8000 books in stock read by professional readers. They come on mp3 cd so it is easy to download them onto my Ipod.

brilliant so far....... and it is all totally free.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sounds interesting Olley, come back here when your half way through and let us know if its worth buying:thumb:

Hi Jim about halfway now, and its up to her usual standards, :Smile: Here's a brief synopsis:

This last book covers from around 1170 after the murder of Becket up to his death in 1189. his eldest son (Henry) called Hal is around 17 with Richard, Geoffrey and John, younger still. Henrys wife is Eleanor of Aquitane, a fabled beauty of her age, and the only Queen to have been married to both the French and English king. When he married her he gained vast holdings in France to go with those he already had, and became the most powerful ruler in Christendom.

He was without a doubt one of our most effective kings, both as a battle commander and as an administrator, unfortunately he was also a control freak, and his refusal to allow his children or wife any say in the running of these vast holdings, led to them rebelling with the help of the French King, Philip Capet. At the moment he has as usual wiped the floor in battle with the rebels, who at this time include three of his children, Hal, Richard and Geoffrey, and imprisoned his wife.

He now has a problem, he would like to divorce his wife, but if he does he will lose Aquitane, he cannot kill her as his children would never forgive him and its likely his barons would rise in revolt, but he can't leave things as they are. And that's where I am in the book.

What I love about reading this type of fiction that's based on real characters, is that you meet old favourites from other books, like William Marshal, who is the central character in "The Greatest Knight" by Elizabeth Chadwick, his father gave him as a hostage to King Stephen when he was five years old, and when the father rebelled, he told King Stephen, hang the boy, "I have the hammer and anvil to make better" but king Stephen refused to hang the five year old.

William Marshal went from being a penniless second son, to be the premier knight of his day, at one point saving Eleanor of Aquitane from capture by rebels, and is credited with being the only person to unhorse King Richard in defence of Henry II, He also for a time governed England after King Johns death. Another fascinating book. :Smile:

Olley

William Marshal: http://www.williammarshal.com/

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Hi Jim about halfway now, and its up to her usual standards, :Smile: Here's a brief synopsis:

This last book covers from around 1170 after the murder of Becket up to his death in 1189. his eldest son (Henry) called Hal is around 17 with Richard, Geoffrey and John, younger still. Henrys wife is Eleanor of Aquitane, a fabled beauty of her age, and the only Queen to have been married to both the French and English king. When he married her he gained vast holdings in France to go with those he already had, and became the most powerful ruler in Christendom.

He was without a doubt one of our most effective kings, both as a battle commander and as an administrator, unfortunately he was also a control freak, and his refusal to allow his children or wife any say in the running of these vast holdings, led to them rebelling with the help of the French King, Philip Capet. At the moment he has as usual wiped the floor in battle with the rebels, who at this time include three of his children, Hal, Richard and Geoffrey, and imprisoned his wife.

He now has a problem, he would like to divorce his wife, but if he does he will lose Aquitane, he cannot kill her as his children would never forgive him and its likely his barons would rise in revolt, but he can't leave things as they are. And that's where I am in the book.

What I love about reading this type of fiction that's based on real characters, is that you meet old favourites from other books, like William Marshal, who is the central character in "The Greatest Knight" by Elizabeth Chadwick, his father gave him as a hostage to King Stephen when he was five years old, and when the father rebelled, he told King Stephen, hang the boy, "I have the hammer and anvil to make better" but king Stephen refused to hang the five year old.

William Marshal went from being a penniless second son, to be the premier knight of his day, at one point saving Eleanor of Aquitane from capture by rebels, and is credited with being the only person to unhorse King Richard in defence of Henry II, He also for a time governed England after King Johns death. Another fascinating book. :Smile:

Olley

William Marshal: http://www.williammarshal.com/
I know this post is from a considerable while back, but Ian m fond of the Angevins for some reason; I needed to tell you that I read an article about Eleanor of Aquitaine then got hooked on the whole nine yards.
William Marshall was a long lived canny statesman, an all round great knight and a lucky booger. And I touched that elderly door at Chepstow castle which he also may have shoved at some point.

I also find Edward 1st interesting.
Now for something completely different -
Presently i am reading His Dark Materials. By Philip Pullman lol

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
John and sandy White theirs a name I haven't heard for a long time, wonder if they are still about?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back