Devastating news (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Sadly we don't know yet if it's a crime scene or not, but at least forensics may be able to ascertain that and her family will be able to say goodbye.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I suppose it is better than a crime scene
Which is what the French prosecutor was stating in a report today that I read early this morning as they had not been able to locate anything else in the surrounding area? I was surprised when I saw this sad news via bbc report

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Radio 4 news at five suggested an accident was the most plausible cause due to the location of the body ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Even young people can have sudden medical episodes, I have seen many tragic cases unfortunately so it could be one of many many things.

What I am trying to say is speculating is pointless as none of us know, my thoughts remain with family and friends and hope the tragic discovery can at least give them some closure on this chapter.

Rest in Peace.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
MEDIA ADVISORY - ESTHER DINGLEY
Contrary to an erroneous report, LBT Global would like to confirm that Daniel Colegate has not been 'quizzed at length' by police. As he found Esther’s body, he will give a statement, as is standard procedure, but has not yet done so. Media are urged again to check such information with LBT Global before publication. We would like to take this opportunity to thank those media that have clarified facts with us in order to ensure accurate reporting.

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Posted by Dan himself on Facebook about an hour ago:

"Dear Friends,
I expect some of you will have seen some of the recent statements made by the French authorities overseeing the investigation into Esther's death. Myself and Esther's mum visited the lead investigator in Toulouse this morning and they provided us with all the information they have at this time. It is, of course, up to them now to release that information once it is formally confirmed.
The purpose of this post is simply to express my, and the rest of the family's, continued gratitude and admiration for the work done by all of the various police teams that have been involved on both sides of the border -since day one of the search - both of the search and rescue units and both of the investigative teams.
I simply don't have the vocabulary to fully express how challenging these past months have been, but I am certain that without the support, courage and determination of the individuals assigned to lead this case and their team members, those difficulties would have been significantly increased.
We've thanked everyone in person already, but I wanted to say it publicly. Having experienced first hand how hard it was to find answers, I honestly don't think they could have done more. The only difference between me and them was that I only had a single task, while they continued to rescue others as well. They are heroes.
Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts."

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's so easy to have an accident. It doesn't matter how competent you might be at any sport/activity. Two people I know, in separate occasions, in different countries, just fell from their motorhomes. One died, the other had a bad head injury, luckily recovered from now.

RIP Esther. She died doing something she lived for.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I see that police are saying it was an accident and that the shoes she was wearing were not appropriate for the icy conditions up the mountain.
I feel this is lazy reporting, not by you, but wherever you have read it. She was not walking in icy conditions, the weather closed in shortly after she went missing.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I feel this is lazy reporting, not by you, but wherever you have read it. She was not walking in icy conditions, the weather closed in shortly after she went missing.
It is on the BBC news website, it says French police say an accident, injuries were associated with a fall and shoes were not appropriate for the icy conditions and she probably slipped and fell.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Posted by Dan himself on Facebook about an hour ago:

"Dear Friends,
I expect some of you will have seen some of the recent statements made by the French authorities overseeing the investigation into Esther's death. Myself and Esther's mum visited the lead investigator in Toulouse this morning and they provided us with all the information they have at this time. It is, of course, up to them now to release that information once it is formally confirmed.
The purpose of this post is simply to express my, and the rest of the family's, continued gratitude and admiration for the work done by all of the various police teams that have been involved on both sides of the border -since day one of the search - both of the search and rescue units and both of the investigative teams.
I simply don't have the vocabulary to fully express how challenging these past months have been, but I am certain that without the support, courage and determination of the individuals assigned to lead this case and their team members, those difficulties would have been significantly increased.
We've thanked everyone in person already, but I wanted to say it publicly. Having experienced first hand how hard it was to find answers, I honestly don't think they could have done more. The only difference between me and them was that I only had a single task, while they continued to rescue others as well. They are heroes.
Thank you all, from the bottom of our hearts."
What a selfless and heartfelt statement.

An utter tragedy. :-(

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Posting by Dan on Facebook an hour ago:
"
Dear Friends,
I’ve always found that writing helps me make sense of the world, in the same way Esther took pictures to share her joy. But today I’m struggling to extract any sense from the chaos, or frankly to even see the keyboard through the bouts of tears.
But I also feel this is important to do today following on from some of the many messages we’ve received in the past few days.
In the days or weeks ahead, Esther will be returned to us. Years ago, we promised each other that on our 70th anniversary we’d walk hand in hand on the same beach we visited on our first anniversary. We’d eat chips, play in the arcade again, fail to win any cuddly toys, and reflect on all of our many adventures before, hopefully, slipping away together in time – still holding hands if we could.
In the end we only got 19 of those years. It’s more than a lot of people get with a soul mate, but (selfishly) it isn’t nearly enough. She’d already taught me so much about how to live, how to love and how to live a multicoloured life. That’s what she called our lifestyle, the beautiful, trusting, simple way that she used to squeeze in so much joy into every waking moment. I honestly believe our best years were yet to come.
Knowing that Esther didn’t suffer, that she was doing what she loved and that our last words were “I love you” will (perhaps), one day give more comfort than I can find today. I also hope I can find a way forward that honours Esther’s spirit, though I haven’t a clue yet what that looks like.
Of course, Esther also had a backup plan – she always did. That’s why, when the time is right and after a very small family service, her ashes will be scattered in the places she loved the most. She’d have done the same for me – and we’d already agreed on those places.
And that’s why I’m writing this.
Following suggestions from some of you, in lieu of flowers and cards etc., I’ve set up a fundraising page to raise money for a charity close to Esther’s heart – Sightsavers, who work to cure preventable blindness (The Royal Commonwealth Society For The Blind- https://www.sightsavers.org/)
Sharing the beauty of the world was another of Esther’s passions. It’s why she set up all of our social media in the first place and posted so many pictures. That anybody should be unable to see this amazing universe we inhabit, for totally preventable reasons, hurt her deeply.
I’ve set a target of £5000, just a few pounds more than Esther raised last year in her epic NHS bike challenge. I hope we can reach that goal.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/t8gevj-remembering-esther
At the same time, if you would like to, please leave a message on that fundraising page. If you want to share a personal memory, long or short, named or anonymous, if you would like to then just speak to Esther.
My commitment is to read out each message to Esther when we do lay her to rest. I think she’d like that.
And, if aren’t able to donate at the moment or would just prefer to send a message privately, please do so via the Facebook page or blog – and I’ll read those to Esther as well.
Thank you all.
p.s. Not sure when I’ll post again, but I will be leaving all of our pages online – they’re the second best testimonial to Esther that I can think of. The best is simply to live life bravely, and gently, and kindly, and to smile at strangers. Because that’s who my angel was."
Remembering Esther, organized by Dan Colegate

https://www.gofundme.com/f/t8gevj-r..._6t6VTdZbAT-4BgMuGxnsB_Witv2-mBcF0O3xjRpm5tLM

OP
OP
Fenman
Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Dan just posted this on their Facebook page:

Dear Friends,
I wanted to let you know that a while ago now, Esther was laid to rest, according to her wishes, among the places that she loved the most.
Prior to her cremation, so many messages arrived from all over the world, all of which I read to Esther and which also gave comfort to myself and other members of the family.
At the same time, the response to Esther's fundraiser has been deeply touching, with enough money raised to give over 300 adults or 100 children back their sight (as confirmed in a thank you message from the charity's fundraising director).
Thank you all so much for your kindness and generosity of spirit, which I see as a humbling reflection of Esther's own beauty and gift for connecting with people. While the pain of her absence haunts me constantly, I try to remain grateful that Esther, for reasons I'll never understand, chose to share so much of that gift with me.
I don't know if I will ever post here again, however, this page, along with the other social pages, will remain online just as they are now, as part of Esther's legacy.
With love and best wishes to everyone who has supported us through this difficult time.
Live life bravely, and gently, and kindly. And smile at strangers. It's the best memorial Esther could have wished for.
Dan x

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back