Devastated (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi @lamyj , you must be really disappointed, I would be and in fact I was.

Unusually I actually wanted a LHD because I believe that it is easier driving a LHD in a country I'm familiar with than it is to drive a RHD on unfamiliar roads. I ordered mine from the main (sole) concessionaire in the UK almost exactly 12 months ago at the NEC.

When the delivery date kept slipping I was able to source a brand new one with exactly my specification in Germany and did a little battle to get my £10,000 deposit back.

I will admit I saved many thousands and in fact tens of thousands but the reason I went for it was that my health at the time was less than 100% and a short delivery time was more important to me than anything else.

I would go there again but wouldn't try to tell you to do the same, each to his own and rightly so.

I worked for a Ford dealer in the early 80's and watched the imported XR3's coming into this country via Ebbeca International Ltd and cursed the early importers so I can see it from both perspectives.

In a nut-shell go with your instincts and don't let anyone influence that instinct without you desire them to give advice and the very best of luck in your search.

Hopefully we can have a laugh about all this over a beer in a field somewhere soon.

Griff

So nicely put...(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Just a quick update - no joy yet from TravelWorld
All 2016 vans allocated to dealers - non available in TCL Automatic. Will have to wait until August for new one to our spec
TravelWorld offered alternative van coming in April, higher spec BUT at a cost to us of a further £6,000.00 - Afraid I do not have that sort of money laying around in my knicker drawer.
No offer yet of deposit back with interest or compensation for loss of holidays and deposits lost
I think will have to seek advice on TravelWorld negating contract
Await events !!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Just a quick update - no joy yet from TravelWorld
All 2016 vans allocated to dealers - non available in TCL Automatic. Will have to wait until August for new one to our spec
TravelWorld offered alternative van coming in April, higher spec BUT at a cost to us of a further £6,000.00 - Afraid I do not have that sort of money laying around in my knicker drawer.
No offer yet of deposit back with interest or compensation for loss of holidays and deposits lost
I think will have to seek advice on TravelWorld negating contract
Await events !!
My advice would be to try and negotiate and get the higher spec van at the price already agreed
To be honest you probably don't have a leg to stand on with regards to compensation for the lost holidays as this was not part of the contract - consequential loss is generally at buyers risk.
I'd go and speak to them face to face - always works better
Best of luck

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'd cut my nose off to spite my face and get my deposit back and tell anyone who will listen, why.....

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Did a round trip of 260 miles on Monday - no joy that's when I was told the bad news - no offer on the table unless I chose upgrade
yeah lovely van - upgrade higher spec BUT £6K hell of a lot to cough up

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Calm down ... calm down.

Have a look at the 2 photos I linked to. You will see that the RHD and LHD wipers are exactly handed. In both the drivers side wiper sweep up to vertically on the drivers side by the same amount. Not only is the sweep in the opposite direction, but the position of the bottom of the wiper has been moved. The sweep area has changed and the one on the drivers side of the LHD is the same as the RHD only handed. The effect is therefore exactly the same for the driver (and the passenger).

Now compare the way the RHD one sweeps with the way that the one on the photo of the RHD car/van (can't tell) does. They are the same. The only difference is that Hymer has 3 blades rather than two.

BTW I am perfectly happy with the wipers on my RHD Hymer A class, especially after having to drive through an absolute deluge a couple of weeks ago. Don't know about others. Maybe Hymer occasionally make a mistake and fit the wrong wipers (and windscreen) to RHD models? Or maybe other makers?
My 2005 RHD Hymer has LHD wipers. I don't know when they started to fit the correct 'hand' wipers but on older ones they didn't and on newer ones they do. Not really an issue for me but some owners find it annoying.

Reactions: DBK
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Hi. I've been watching this thread from Spain, wher we're spending a couple of months in our Hymer Tramp 554 sl, imported from Germany last summer. Don't know whether you reached any conclusions re importing, maybe you decided it wasn't for you. Anyway, don't want to tempt providence, but we've no regrets so far and saved a shed load of money.
We went for sl rather than cl because of the double floor. It means you don't get those steps in floor, thus providing extra floor space for the dog to lie down, added underfloor storage lockers, better insulation, and removes any trip hazard.
I've just had a quick look on mobile.de and see Palmowski, a well-known German discounter, are offering sl' s for Euros 64,899, including the 'luxury package' which comprises more or less every extra that you could possibly want. There is a 3 month order time, and upgrades on engine size cost an additional Euros 1490 and automatic Euros 2290. Sorry I can't provide a link, but I'm on an I pad and don't know how to do it. It may be worth looking at, though.
We didn't buy from Palmowski and I've no experience of dealing with them - also the exchange rate was much better, when we bought, last summer.
We live about 15 miles from TW, but decided that the cost-saving by going to Germany outweighed the convenience of dealing locally. This may be something we come to regret, but decided it was a chance well worth taking.
I hope you reach a satisfactory conclusion.
So far, we are very happy with out choice of van.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Obviously very disappointing when you have looked forward to collecting it but will the world end if you accept the manual version together with a large goodwill discount, that is of course if you are able to drive a manual. You can still go ahead with your plans with a decent wedge in your pocket

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sorry I can't provide a link, but I'm on an I pad and don't know how to do it.

For your info..... Just hold your finger on the top search bar where it has the Internet address and it should come up with copy/paste.... Select copy then open up the forum page you want and hold finger in the reply space and copy/paste will come up again, select paste and it should paste the link there....(y)

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Matter now closed - well once we get our deposit back -
Have decided TravelWorld think more of profit than they do customers. The only positive thing if you chose to buy from TravelWorld is look out for Karl the salesman - very conscientious guy who will see you right if he can.
We will be picking up a Hymer in July - ordered today from Heart of England and yes this time I will be keeping a close eye on proceeding
You live and learn in life - just now 'looking forward rather than behind me'
Crossing off the days and re-planning holidays
Thanks for all your support - it's been a big help

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
These things happen for a reason, the hymer just might be the van that was meant for you... (y)

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Should have collected my motorhome today :(
Coincidentally received confirmation from my bank today that I have got my deposit back from TravelWorld - ha ha as expected
No interest, although they have had my money for ten months
No compensation for loss -
Roll-on mid July when I will be picking up my new motorhome from 'Heart of England' dealers. Growler alarm date booked for fitting
Whilst crossing off the days we are reading very useful info in the forum from fellow 'Funsters' about what we should and should not expect when we are finally on the open road 'living the dream'

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If that's how they treated you before you payed all of the remaining, just think how they treat you at after sales service...
Treat this as a blessing in disguise, the new van is what you wanted all along...(y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What a nasty firm to deal with.
Number two daughter was looking at a van they have at the moment and asked me to do some digging before she made a move.
Thank gawd for 'Fun'..
Travelworld have just lost a £37k sale

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Ask your daughter to contact 'Heart of England Motorhomes' - family run business very friendly - not pushy and know their stuff

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Coincidentally received confirmation from my bank today that I have got my deposit back from TravelWorld - ha ha as expected

You've done well, some of them would have messed you around right up to the day of the court hearing.

July is an excellent time to be motorhoming.

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
if you are in the midlands you cannot get a better family run motorhome company than Edgehill Motorhomes in Mansfield. Paul and his son Lee. Very nice people indeed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back