Dethleffs or Burstner - Longitudinal bed over lounge (1 Viewer)

Anji

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
London, - but retiring to Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Hi there,

We about to buy our first motorhome. We did hire a really basic one in New Zealand a few years ago and absolutely fell in love with the concept. We’re intending to retire out to Spain and use our motorhome for a grey nomad experience around Europe while we’re still able. We’re intending to visit the Motorhome exhibition in Dusseldorf next week, - because this is such a big outlay we want to be sure we’re making the right decision. We’ve done a fair bit of internet research and went to Peterborough to have a look at what’s on offer.

Hubby is tall, 6’ 4”, - so we’ve ruled out most of the fixed beds. There’s just the two of us, - so we like the idea of just having a bed drop down over the lounge area, - we like the use of space and having a bigger lounge area during the day.

We’ve seen and really like two models which have longitudinal beds, and that seems to be perfect for us, - the bed length for hubby and the larger lounge. The models are:

Burstner Ixeo it 640 and Dethleffs 4-travel T 6966-4.

The layouts look identical to us, and we are aware both brands come under the Hymer umbrella.

So the questions are:

Is there a difference between the quality between Burstner and Dethleffs? If so, which would you recommend?

And are you aware of any other motorhomes, around the same price mark or less, that has these longitudinal beds over the lounge.

Many thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to respond.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We have the Burnster version, Dethleff didn't do them last year and I think these are the only ones doing the longitude beds, massive beds very comfortable, we had the traverse bed on a hobby and the longitude beds are much better and comedown to the seating area so easier to get on
Nothing between the two manufacturers and as you know from the same group

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't have one, but something to consider, especially if fulltiming. The bed is electric and there have been lots of posts about problems with electric beds. It looks to me as if the bed failed in the down position, it may be impossible to drive the vehicle to get it repaired.

I may be completely wrong of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I don't have one, but something to consider, especially if fulltiming. The bed is electric and there have been lots of posts about problems with electric beds. It looks to me as if the bed failed in the down position, it may be impossible to drive the vehicle to get it repaired.

I may be completely wrong of course.

I suppose like anything electrical it can have it's off days! Thankfully, if there's ever a problem, certainly with the Burstner, there is a manual option to raise or lower the bed;)

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We've looked at these and agree with you regarding the lounge area, it gives you a great floor space, the only thing that would put me off would be that if one of you need to get up in the night for the loo then it might mean clambering over the other person, it's a great use of the space though.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
As above and you will have to go to bed at the same time. We considered it we tend not to go to bed at the same time. We're sticking with our fixed bed T660

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
op is talking about longitudinal beds, not transverse(y)

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
op is talking about longitudinal beds, not transverse(y)

I thought the bed came down in bewtween the back rests of the lounge seats so that the only way off the bed is to get off in between the seating, perhaps I'm thinking of a different system though

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The Frankia 640 (and possibly other variants) has a drop down bed that can be used transversely or longitudinally (with pull out extensions that make a massively long bed).

Ian

Upvote 0

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
As above and you will have to go to bed at the same time. We considered it we tend not to go to bed at the same time. We're sticking with our fixed bed T660

We looked at electric drop down beds, and I'm sure they work very well for some, but as others have pointed out, retiring to bed for the night or getting up in the morning will usually have to be done together rather than individually. Also there's usually nowhere to put your early morning tea to drink while loafing in bed while you read :(

Hence it's a fixed bed for us everytime I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What if one of you wants an afternoon kip?

Can you still easily get in/out of the door?

We have a fixed transverse bed over the garage. If we changed it would be for an Island bed over the garage. We would not want to sacrifice the garage.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Our last Motorhome had an electric bed over lounge all was well until er indoors was ill you cant stay in bed as it covers the lounge

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anji

Free Member
Aug 16, 2017
London, - but retiring to Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Thank you all for all the replies and the welcome, - all very helpful and I really appreciate it. I should have mentioned in my original post that we want to buy a motorhome from a dealership in Spain, - because we’re going to be based there when we retire, so need to have localish maintenance, and importing a vehicle seems fraught, - and we want a left hand drive vehicle as most of our tramping will be in Europe.

So, we were initially looking at some of the British manufacturers Elddis and Bailey, - as they had vehicles with bench seating behind the cab which you could make up into huge beds, - and they suited our budget. Unfortunately they do not produce left hand drive vehicles or sell into Spain. We also looked at the Chausson twin bed solution and thought it ideal, - it’s a very clever concept, and loved that one bed could be used whilst the other remained as seating. But again unfortunately they do not sell into Spain, - only their Challenger range which doesn’t have anything similar.

Thank you for the tips regarding other makes. Cannot see anything on the Laika website with this layout, but we’ll certainly speak to the guys in Dusseldorf, - as with the Frankia 640, - their website isn’t too clear. We’re kinda hoping that some other manufacturers will be introducing this longitudinal bed layout in their 2018 range, - and we might get some goodies thrown in!

Thanks for the comments about electric motor. We’re getting kinda creaky, so anything that works with the push of a button is fine with us!!!, - we’ll just keep our fingers crossed! J

Thanks for the confirmation that there really isn’t any different between Burstner and Dethleffs. We couldn’t see any real differences, - but wondered if we were missing something.

So, once again, thank you all for your replies, - it’s been really helpful and we’re looking forward to the Dusseldorf exhibition at the weekend.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
We rented a Chausson with an electric drop bed last October. What a nightmare! Worst bed I ever tried to sleep in. Too short, feet ended up on the wall, but there were curtains, one morning fond them teared off the wall, probably moved while sleeping. Horrible experience.
Years ago we bought the first Bürster with a drop bed. The bed was comfortable for sleeping but could not stay up while driving.

We have decided to accept to go from 6 to 7 meters and had fixed bed. Fixed beds are better beds. It is simply not possible to have the same mattress thickness on a drop bed.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back