Dethleffs and Hymer annual chassis spray (1 Viewer)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Just booked in our Dethleffs for the first habitation service, and been told that without having the underneath sprayed annually that the habitation warranty is void?.
The service representative had no idea what they were spraying just that it was imperative to have it done to maintain the warranty.
Anybody else heard of this?

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Just booked in our Dethleffs for the first habitation service, and been told that without having the underneath sprayed annually that the habitation warranty is void?.
The service representative had no idea what they were spraying just that it was imperative to have it done to maintain the warranty.
Anybody else heard of this?

"They" spray the underside of my Knaus at each "Annual water ingress" checkup... Although looking afterwards at what they'd done... Seems a tad - shall we say - pointless ... It appears to get a "lick and a promise"...

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I asked the same question when mine had its first service. It’s body Schultz, basically bitumen. £5 a tin at your local motor factors but there’s a sticker in the lid that goes in your book.
£80 is a small price to pay for damp warranty in my opinion

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is an underseal spray they spray on pipe and cable entry points. Another rip of off don't see the point with a GRP floor.
Just booked my van in for June for first check it will be 15months old has to be done in first 18 months. Still I suppose £60 not too bad to keep the warranty.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
It is an underseal spray they spray on pipe and cable entry points. Another rip of off don't see the point with a GRP floor.
Just booked my van in for June for first check it will be 15months old has to be done in first 18 months. Still I suppose £60 not too bad to keep the warranty.
Where is this as I have just been told by a hymer dealer that the first annual damp check and under seal is £400 odd ??????

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Where is this as I have just been told by a hymer dealer that the first annual damp check and under seal is £400 odd ??????
Our suppling dealer in Belgium €70. Normal UK price for damp check £125 to £190.
Was your dealer quoting you for a habitation check as well? Habitation check is not necessary for the warranty, on my 3rd Hymer never had a habitation check never had a problem with warranty issues - rip off Britian.

Also British dealers appear to keep quiet about the fact that the first damp check is required between 12-18 months after date of purchase and tell you it must be done in 12 months.

Also British dealers charge £35 for the damp spray seen it on my dealers shelf for €17.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
No it was just for the first damp checks then the following years they said it was about £130
Will have to do some phoning around
I have only paid for a habitation check once on a van as we were selling it and thought it would give a bit of confidence to a prospective buyer.
What a joke £180 for less than an hours work !

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
What a bloody con, having to have some underseal spray to maintain warranty on a new van, especially with a GRP floor. What will they think of next?
So Hymer used to build with timber floors that went rotten and you didn't need an underseal spray to maintain warranty. Now they build with GRP floors you need the spray.:LOL:
Methinks that's the wrong way round Herr Hymer.

Familymad

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs XXLA
Exp
2yrs
Looks like they still require the sticker in the book from my comms with the factory. Bit antiquated

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Looks like they still require the sticker in the book from my comms with the factory. Bit antiquated
Hymer changed a few years ago, dealers now log it on Hymer database and give you a printout, no service book.

Update:
Hymer no longer give you 18 months for the first damp check has to be done at 12 months now.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hymer is the same. Needed in order to keep the water ingress warranty. It is not just the spray, they also need to do a damp check. But Hymer do not require the habitation check to be done, which is frankly a waste of time. All they do is check that everything is working, and I do that every time I use it! However I do get them to do a gas check, as that is something I can't/won't do.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018

not sure about Hymer but not all new Dethleffs MH’s have grp floors , some are still ply wood

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I do think there needs to be more clarity within the MoHo Trade in this respect If a vehicle does need the underfloor spray this needs to be explicit as does the damp checks.

If on the latest MoHo's they do not need underfloor spray then the dealers could be carrying out MISLEADING AND AGGRESSIVE COMMERCIAL PRACTICES:

Regarding MISLEADING AND AGGRESSIVE COMMERCIAL PRACTICES: then as consumers we have the right for addressing this, if you know your manufacturer does not need underfloor sealing then you may want to query what the dealer is doing and why they are doing it, if it is not in line with the manufactures recommendations their business practice may just fall under Missleading and comercial practices.

To me the habitation check is a little like a Simpsons episode with Homer operating a light switch and saying click 'Light on'...click...'Light Off' as far as I can tell there is very little value with a habitation check in my opinion (unless someone can correct me)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I do think there needs to be more clarity within the MoHo Trade in this respect If a vehicle does need the underfloor spray this needs to be explicit as does the damp checks.

If on the latest MoHo's they do not need underfloor spray then the dealers could be carrying out MISLEADING AND AGGRESSIVE COMMERCIAL PRACTICES:

Regarding MISLEADING AND AGGRESSIVE COMMERCIAL PRACTICES: then as consumers we have the right for addressing this, if you know your manufacturer does not need underfloor sealing then you may want to query what the dealer is doing and why they are doing it, if it is not in line with the manufactures recommendations their business practice may just fall under Missleading and comercial practices.

To me the habitation check is a little like a Simpsons episode with Homer operating a light switch and saying click 'Light on'...click...'Light Off' as far as I can tell there is very little value with a habitation check in my opinion (unless someone can correct me)
But what will the 5 year olds that the dealers use to apply this spray do for a living ⚠️?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
We checked with our dealer and were told it was only necessary for UK vans and not required in Spain.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
All the vans we have bought our Belgium dealer gives us a letter stating how much the damp check will cost for the next 5 years.
Bit of a price hike on this van, now €70 (£60) per year price fixed for 5 years.
Why do UK dealers always want to rip you off.

When got the first van I asked about hab checks and was told not necessary if you want one have one in five years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back