Dethleffs Advantage - gas / connectors setup for France (1 Viewer)

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Hi All,

Hoping someone might be able to shed some light for us on a stumbling block we have encountered!

One thing we haven't quite figured out - and have done quite a bit of reading everywhere! - but still slightly baffled is switching our gas connectors so can use French propane bottles. Sorry in advance, as I know this is a well discussed topic, but still can't seem to find a answer. Or perhaps an answer, for a simple headed newbie like me, that I can cater our needs!

Right, so here goes, my understanding is this...When we bought our motorhome we were told we didn't need to but anything whilst in the UK and could simply buy new hoses/connectors/gas bottles in each respective country..should we wish to. Sounded easy, so didn't query it at the time.

As we're planning spending most of our time in France, between places, we thought we'd take our one Calor propane uk bottle with us, and then when in France get the parts/new bottle so could get French gas whenever needed..

However, we've been to lots of supermarkets and diy stores, even one motorhome place, and no one has been able to help us unfortunately. Even had my native French friend with us to assist.

So where I am currently is, I have bought a French propane regulator (see pic 2 below) which connects to a French bottle, and removed the original pigtail (male/female 6.3mm), and was then hoping I could then find an adaptor that would connect to it with my new French regulator....but so far no joy!

I have also included a pic 2 below of what the wall mounted end looks like, once I removed pipe - of course making sure all was gas turned off. As well as a pic of original Calor propane bottle and Uk regulator, see pic 3.

I've seen some threads mentioning adaptors or new pigtails, but can't see how would work with my setup, plus we're abroad now so can't order stuff from UK easily.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Am I going about it the wrong way? And sorry again a the rather first long first post! Yours in hopeful anticipation, many thanks, Will.

Pic 1: original pigtail pipe and new French regulator
image3.JPG
Pic 2: what wall mounted end looks like, once I removed original pigtail
image2.JPG

Pic 3: orginal Calor propane bottle and Uk regulator,
image1.JPG

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
One of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Bsp-M...661390?hash=item1c238f0b4e:g:ZXsAAMXQeKNTO8lt

Two of these

and these

An English regulator and a French regulator tee'd into either side.
One Calor Bottle and a French bottle (free from Super U) use the one easily available in each country and use the other as the spare.
Just make sure you turn of both bottles when you change bottles.

Maybe think about having a competent person fit them.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Im sure there are experts who will come up with easier solutions, but to get you through your trip, buy one of these fittings to connector to french regulator.
IMG_0829.JPG

Buy a length of hose, 2 sets of 8mm quick release fittings and jubilee clips.
IMG_0830.JPG

Cut the pigtail you already have in half and connect the female quick release to it. Connect that back up to van.
Connect male quick release to other length of your existing pig tail that fits to Uk regulator.

Cut your new gas hose to pig tail length, connect new french reg fitting (above)to one end and male quick release to other end!
You will then have 2 pigtails and be able to inter change UK and French bottles using the quick release fittings.
Check all fittings for leaks(y)

@Stealaway beat me to it(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Sorry to state what seems obvious to me but if you look at the Classified section, there are plenty of refillable bottles for sale at fair prices. No need then to concern yourself with changing bottles anywhere in Europe or the UK.... ever!

OP
OP
Will Robertson

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Brill thanks @Stealaway and @jessthedog for your responses back! I had half considered something like this might work but didn't want to risk it...well certainly without someone more sage and experienced giving us full instructions on how to do it and was ok! anyway!

Out of interest it is safe isn't it? I note @pyro comment above.. Appreciate it comes down to how is installed, which I would ensure is done correctly.

Few last questions:

1. is there a way to test for leaks once done?
2. Anyone know whether I can get these parts in France? Hoping DIY store might be ok...?
3. Lastly, are there any other ways you think would be better? Or is this do you reckon best/easiest?

Thanks again (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Before we installed gaslow we used a system using the quick release fittings without problem. We had the male part of the fitting jubilee clipped to the hose that feeds the van and had 3 female parts of the fitting attached to lengths of hose, the other end of which were clipped a French, UK(Calor) & Spanish regulator. Whichever bottle we wished to use we connected the female fitting that was attached to the correct regulator.
YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THESE FITTINGS MUST BE ON THE FLOW SIDE OF THE REGULATOR ie on the low pressure side.

Regarding testing, a weak liquid soap solution squirted onto the joints will show bubbles of gas escaping or you can buy a can of propriety gas test spray.
I dont know anywhere you can buy these fittings in France but if you look them up on ebay and then show the picture at DIY or plumbing stores they may be able to help.

Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Brill thanks @Stealaway and @jessthedog for your responses back! I had half considered something like this might work but didn't want to risk it...well certainly without someone more sage and experienced giving us full instructions on how to do it and was ok! anyway!

Out of interest it is safe isn't it? I note @pyro comment above.. Appreciate it comes down to how is installed, which I would ensure is done correctly.

Few last questions:

1. is there a way to test for leaks once done?
2. Anyone know whether I can get these parts in France? Hoping DIY store might be ok...?
3. Lastly, are there any other ways you think would be better? Or is this do you reckon best/easiest?

Thanks again (y)
Beg pardon.

I was querying to what I understand entails the refilling of normal gas bottle, not the issue of the tails. Broken Link Removed

I saw a thread somewhere where (if I interpreted it correctly) someone had fitted an external BBQ socket, and then used that to plug in a foreign cylinder (via a suitable regulator, and with the regular gas bottle isolated, of course)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
No problem, i think @Stealaway solution would be good long term.
Ive noticed that you have 2 threads going on same subject!
As someone said on other thread. You could cut off fitting at Uk regulator end of pigtail and fit the brass fitting. (Below) with jubilee and worry bout UK and future gas fittings when you get home.(y)
Good luck and enjoy your trip:)
IMG_0829.JPG

OP
OP
Will Robertson

Will Robertson

Free Member
May 12, 2017
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
1 month
Amazing guys, thanks so much for all your learned advice - feel much more rest assured have the "knowledge" to go forth and adventure setting everything up! Will look into DIY stores here and see if can find the bits I need.

Thanks @Stealaway @jessthedog @namwaldog great tips! @jessthedog yes my bad on posting two similar threads...wanted to post edit/remove part of my other welcome post but couldn't find a way..Don't suppose you know how anyone?

Let the good times roll...!! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back