Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
For those with a Dethleffs A Class probably 2008 on I wondered if your headlights actually flashed. i.e with lights off when you activate the flasher stalk in the cab do the lights come on and flash

The solenoid is working as you can hear it as the falsher is operated?

Mine don't flash and I am told that they do not work on A class Dethleffs.

Is that right?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dont know for sure but i would say yes, they should flash.

the builders will use the standard chassis/cowl with most of the wiring already intact.

it could be they altered the dashboard/steering column wiring but i doubt it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
although you hear the relay click, the power is not being passed to the lights. either a blown relay or wiring fault which should be easy enough to trace back from the light main beam circuit.

i assume the lights do work on main beam normally?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
yes they do flash on main beam which is the odd thing about this. They just do not flash when the lights are off. Other Dethleffs A classes have the same fault it would appear.

My concern is that whilst the van is only a year old it will need an MOT at some time and that concerns me in that this may be a failure.

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Thanks. May well do but it is back at the dealer to fix at present.

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Flash or smash?

Excuse the heading, it was my idea of humour, due to the fact I have had two new headlights in the last two Years, both have shattered. Is this maybe a design fault (nearside both times), a weakness through vibration or am I just really unlucky? Would be interested to hear from other owners
As for the question about headlamp, I bought a new Dethleffs A Class two Years ago, and just as you say, the headlamp flash did not work. The relay clicked, but no light. I contacted my agent who contacted Dethleffs, and guess what, that is how it is meant to be, hmmm, was not impressed and I was not happy at all.:Angry: I got my dealer to get under the bonnet and rewire it so that now I do get a flash of sorts, albeit not main beam flash. So to sum up, apparently it is not a fault (yeah right).
Hope this helps:thumb:
Regards
Chris

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Hi Chris. Seems that we use the same dealer in Torbay as we are from the same area. Same problem and yes mine has had a new near side light too although it was fitted just before we bought it. Ours is just a year old.

Interesting about the flash as if he same dealer they can do the same for me.. Any idea what they did?

Do you like the Dethleffs - we do but had a few issues which Kerrs are slowly sorting.

Regards

D magic

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Opinion

To be fair, I like the Dethleffs motorhome, it ticks all the boxes for me and performs well. That said, we have had a couple of problems which Kerrs leisure have sorted out, all be it over a period of time, the girl on reception, Natalie, is only young but a fully qualified technician. She is very helpful, knows her stuff and offers great after sales support and advice, a name to remember when you phone with a problem.
The light business is a bit of a pain, I believe Mike the techy changed my wiring so I had a flash, but I don't think it is a main beam flash, just a main light flash, better than nothing. I always drive with sides on anyway.
Would be interested to hear if you have a problem with your light cluster, as I said earlier, I am about to order another set, just under ÂŁ500 from Ireland. Much cheaper than Kerrs Leisure.
Cheers
Chris

OP
OP
talaris

talaris

Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
Hi Chris.. sent you a pm but not sure if you got as nothing in my sent items so copied below.

Hi Chris

We like ours too although not without problems initially. I was just a year old but was badly pdi'd,

broken awning, hater issues, radio not working, headlights, wrong manual and service history, loose dash, new habitation battery fitted by them was 65ah (!!!) and some more. Natalie was not hugely helpful and when I called the day after we collected she said they were busy and would look at it in a months time. Did not go down hugely well.

They are on their way to rectifying everything but is has been back with them 5 times for a total of 5 weeks now. Picked up twice and taken back the day after twice. I am picky admittedly but spending that sort of money was not an unreasonable ask in my opinion to have everything sorted quickly. Russell is quite good, he's the new service manager I think.

Apropos the headlamp we had a new fitted by them, n/s I believe as it had a crack but not sure hoe it got like that. I assumed a stone or something. will keep an eye on it though so thanks for the heads up.

Where are you and do you use it locally? We do, Brixham and North Devon are favourites but we are new to this, being our first mh.

Regards

Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back