Detachable steering wheel? (1 Viewer)

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
I've been reading! Detachable steering wheels. 2001 Autocruise Vista Peugeot Boxer. Are they still available or does anyone have one hidden away they would like to part with? I'd like one.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I've been reading! Detachable steering wheels. 2001 Autocruise Vista Peugeot Boxer. Are they still available or does anyone have one hidden away they would like to part with? I'd like one.
Now, I don't really know about the Moho type but I saw one on an old Lotus but it was prior to air bags and unless they've done that since then it's unlikely to be that good as I reckon we all need air bags these days

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Think they did away with them when the air bags became common ,which is a pity cause I would like to have one again myself

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Concorde and Morelo mho have them as an optional extra on there Iveco models not sure if they can be fitted to Fiat Chassis.
No controls for radio or phone are fitted to steering wheel if detachable option taken.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
This reminds me of the Mr Bean stuff :clap2:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Yes it would be nice if the Fiat steering wheel could move out the way a little more when swivelling the front seat.
I know Air Bags are supposedly safety items and most of us feel reassured that they are there, or at least I did, until a work colleague came into the office one morning having been involved in a head on with a dustbin truck on a quiet country road, not as higher impact as that sounds as they saw each other in time to brake hard, its just the lorry skidded the last 10mtrs on mud and hit him front on. His arms face and neck were severely burnt from the pressure of the gas and speed of inflation of his air bag, it was a new Jag as well, which was repaired.
I just hope that mine never needs to be deployed, just as a fast jet pilot hopes he will never need to use his ejector seat :eek:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
IMG_5622.JPG

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Like the above ? Sorry came with the van . Turning the seat easy also great for security

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
OK, I like that. Are they still available?

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Concorde and Morelo mho have them as an optional extra on there Iveco models not sure if they can be fitted to Fiat Chassis.
No controls for radio or phone are fitted to steering wheel if detachable option taken.

I have the removable wheel option on my MORELO a way over priced option if you ask my opinion. I bought a removable wheel for my Swift Bel Air back in 2001 and it cost around 100GBP at the time. The one on the MORELO looks very similar but weighs about 3 times the weight. I have no idea why its so heavy and so expensive, it is a 1500GBP extra on any MORELO.
I was looking for one when I had my Flair but could not find one anywhere. I tried a number of dealers to find the right adaptor plate and whilst doing so found it was very easy to remove the original wheel. Pulled off the cover on the middle, box spanner removed the nut and the wheel pulled off. Same putting it back, it was as quick as when I had the removable wheel and cost me nothing. The important part was to ensure you did not knock off the steering sensor switch as if it is out of alignment it went into fault and disabled the ASP etc.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
This is a 2001 van. Radio hadn't been invented then!

We have a 2001 Hymer on Fiat chassis, no steering wheel controls & no airbag so we have a detachable steering wheel!
Not sure wether they are still for sale or not.
Just asked Google for above and
Marcle Leisure do a 'snap off' kit for the wheel but then of course you need the wheel, not sure if it's still available tho!

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Take it to the supermarket and the pub then?

I don't think you have to carry it around with you. Hiding it somewhere else in the motorhome would delay a potential thief. ( and for all they know the owner might have it with them!)
I heard a radio discussion last week where an anti-crime bod was talking about the rise in the old fashioned steering lock sales. Longer thieves are delayed, more they have to do, more likely they are to walk on.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We would use universal quick release adaptors when we were building historic race cars as most drivers were a little older and carrying a little more around the midriff so needed a removable steering wheel to comfortably get in and out of the car.
There are several different types available on the market that maybe suitable for earlier motorhomes without lots of control gubins on the steering wheel.

Here's a few on eBay to have a look at ,

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Take it to the supermarket and the pub then?

Both removable steering wheels I have owned have had a small lock on the side of the wheel which when the key is removed it cannot be refitted to the vehicle without the key. So only need to take the key to the pub :)

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
The removable steering wheel that I had was from Tony Suggs. But, when I changed vans 10ish years ago he told me he could not get them any more because of the air bags.

OP
OP
J
Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
The problem is, I don't really know what will fit my van. Does anyone have a Peugeot Boxer circa 2001 with one fitted?

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
If you have an airbag wheel I'm pretty sure you won't be able to have removable wheel
Certainly not using existing wheel and if u change wheel to non airbag type I would think you'd have a dash warning light on showing airbag fault.....

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have one on our 2001 Fiat based Hymer, I'm pretty sure the Peugeot would be the same.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back