Despairing traders demand action over night-time camper van parking (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Most of my views on this issue have been expressed by myself and others in this and previous threads and I would agree that more facilities should be provided for overnighting of all descriptions. Would you want one next to your house or even in your area,apparently lots of people don't.
For many years caravans have had to use sites, please explain why motorhomes are different.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
For many years caravans have had to use sites said:
Caravans need a vehicle to tow them and have no way of propelling themselves..whereas a motor home tends to have a motor in it ( hence the name )

:RollEyes:

barry

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Most of my views on this issue have been expressed by myself and others in this and previous threads and I would agree that more facilities should be provided for overnighting of all descriptions. Would you want one next to your house or even in your area,apparently lots of people don't.
For many years caravans have had to use sites, please explain why motorhomes are different.

There is a clearly defined difference between a caravan and a motorhome. A motorhome is a licensed vehicle for use on the road, a caravan is not, its there to be towed from one place to another for the use of camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I find the term "freeloader" for someone who wants to put the facilities of his/her motorhome to full use offensive. :Angry:

If people want to pay campsite fees and park up like a bunch of factory chickens, fair enough... I wouldn't do it...

If people want to park for nothing where it is allowed along with loads of other motorhome fair enough... I wouldn't do it

I choose to use my motorhome to its full capability and usually choose somewhere quiet, away from residents (pesky, trouble making Houseys :ROFLMAO:) and not with a load of other vans.

Twenty years living full-time in my Wagon(s) and never ever been asked to move by anyone... not ever...

Freeloader?

MOI? :winky:

How come the local traders welcome me into their bars and restaurants with open arms? :winky:

JJ

PS Running my generator all night while attached to the "A" frame and having switched on my gas attack alarm and hidden my Ebay Calor bottle refiller I sleep the sleep of innocence knowing that, at that time of night, no one will notice my waste tank emptying out...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS Enough of this nonsense... I am off to the beach... with my motorhome... and I will NOT pay for a campsite...:thumb: :thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp

PS Running my generator all night while attached to the "A" frame and having switched on my gas attack alarm and hidden my Ebay Calor bottle refiller I sleep the sleep of innocence knowing that, at that time of night, no one will notice my waste tank emptying out...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

PS I am off to the beach... with my motorhome... and I will NOT pay for a campsite...:thumb: :thumb:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
Caravans need a vehicle to tow them and have no way of propelling themselves..whereas a motor home tends to have a motor in it ( hence the name )

:RollEyes:

barry

Sm*****rse:Smile:

Deleted User
There is a clearly defined difference between a caravan and a motorhome. A motorhome is a licensed vehicle for use on the road, a caravan is not, its there to be towed from one place to another for the use of camping.
A caravan attached to a towing vehicle is also licensed to use the road.

Deleted User
I find the term "freeloader" for someone who wants to put the facilities of his/her motorhome to full use offensive. :Angry:

If people want to pay campsite fees and park up like a bunch of factory chickens, fair enough... I wouldn't do it...

If people want to park for nothing where it is allowed along with loads of other motorhome fair enough... I wouldn't do it

I choose to use my motorhome to its full capability and usually choose somewhere quiet, away from residents (pesky, trouble making Houseys :ROFLMAO:) and not with a load of other vans.

Twenty years living full-time in my Wagon(s) and never ever been asked to move by anyone... not ever...

Freeloader?

How come the local traders welcome me into their bars and restaurants with open arms? :winky:

JJ

PS Enough of this nonsense... I am off to the beach... with my motorhome... and I will NOT pay for a campsite...:thumb: :thumb:

Methinks you are somewhat of an exception that proves the rule. My experience of so called wild campers in Spain & Portugal is exactly as you describe ' packed in like factory chickens'. I have lost count of the number of times 'wildcampers come onto sites for one or two nights to do the necessary ablutions, make the place look like a chinese laundry and then depart. Who can blame the site owners for charging excessive prices for 1/2 night stops.
Freeloaders is an apt term and I make no apologies for it's use.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Absolutely brilliant post !!

Freeloader?

JJ

What about the Ferret feces ???

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Get real !!!!

Have you been to Scarborough ? I have, and let's face it....The place is a DUMP, who in their right minds would want to go there, let alone spend any money there !

Excuse me whilst I put my hard hat on !!!

It's not quite as bad as Blackpool though, but pretty close !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

BTW...Any Yorkists attending the Shropshire MH Show.....I am the Chinese guy with a wooden leg, If there's a fire, I won't have a leg to stand on !!! Boom Boom !!

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
How a few miles makes a difference.Just up the road from Scarborough at Whitby there is a car park that you can pay about a fiver and park all night perhaps we should all boycott S/bro :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::thumb:
terry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ooooh - don't send all them freeloaders to Whitby; I like Whitby!! :ROFLMAO:

Apart from the cost I'll tell you what's wrong with campsites - you often can't easily walk to the town/beach. This means if you fancy a gander at the newspaper or wish to purchase a packet of screws to affix the bit of floor Swift omitted to put the screws in, you have to use your M'H to drive to the shop to get it/them because you can't walk that far and there isn't a bus that goes past the site except on market days which was yesterday. :cry:

This is only a local shop and doesn't have its own parking. It may be in a pedestrian area or a street with double yellow lines. You find that all the towncentre carparks either have a 2.5m height barrier or a 3m concrete arch to go under on your way to the 11th floor. :Doh:

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Scarborough

As far as I remember there are no traders at north Parade only a cafe who must be pleased with mhs parked stopping the boy racers tearing up and down.Another case of a rundown seaside resort looking for something to blame for ther lack of trade other than the real reason lack of investment.
me thinks maybe metamophis is a bit miffed because his unit is to big to get into the parking spaces for a bit of free parking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Yeh !!

As far as I remember there are no traders at north Parade only a cafe who must be pleased with mhs parked stopping the boy racers tearing up and down.Another case of a rundown seaside resort looking for something to blame for ther lack of trade other than the real reason lack of investment.
me thinks maybe metamophis is a bit miffed because his unit is to big to get into the parking spaces for a bit of free parking:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

M'Lud..I rest my case !!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Scarborough sucks !!!!

If only the local council could read these posts, they might just extract their heads from up their rectums and do something about promoting their town !!! Unlikely though, too bloody insular to care !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
M'Lud..I rest my case !!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Scarborough sucks !!!!

If only the local council could read these posts, they might just extract their heads from up their rectums and do something about promoting their town !!! Unlikely though, too bloody insular to care !!

Send them a e-mail with a link :thumb:winky:::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Looks like Scarborough is on my miss list next time I'm in the UK :cry:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Nah, we will not conform. Lets shop in Whitby and then organise a meet on the Scarborough sea front. :shout::shout::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Methinks you are somewhat of an exception that proves the rule. My experience of so called wild campers in Spain & Portugal is exactly as you describe ' packed in like factory chickens'. I have lost count of the number of times 'wildcampers come onto sites for one or two nights to do the necessary ablutions, make the place look like a chinese laundry and then depart. Who can blame the site owners for charging excessive prices for 1/2 night stops.
Freeloaders is an apt term and I make no apologies for it's use.

You have no need to apologise for anything, sir... you consider the term "freeloader" apt, so be it... allow me to find the term offensive... it suggests (to me) someone who does not pull his/her weight in this world. :Sad:

I don't call what I do "wild camping" either... I choose to park "off site."

I don't "camp" either. No tables, no chairs and certainly no washing lines with me!

I am well and truly confused now for it appears you don't approve of folk with motorhomes calling in on paid sites and using the facilities they have just paid for. :Eeek: Is there some sort of ideal duration for visits to camp sites?

If I were to be travelling from the UK to a camp site (paid for for three weeks) in Spain, would it be ok for me to visit a site en route for only one night and, if I did so, could I do any washing?

JJ

PS it is the motorhomes and caravans on paid for sites that seem packed in like chickens to me... not the "freeloaders" :winky:

PPS. I am "freeloading" here for a while... ok?

Attachments

• freeloader 1.jpg
    freeloader 1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 41
  • freeloader 2.jpg
    freeloader 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 37
  • freeloader 3.jpg
    freeloader 3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why dont the council charge , say £5 for an overnight park on the front .
They charge up to a certain time on an evening there. I cant remember if its 5,6 or 7pm .So from then until when ever they start charging in the morning.
I would pay it and I am sure most would.
Those that wont , would have to find somewhere else to park , for free. ::bigsmile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
They go around in pairs !!

[/SIZE]
Send them a e-mail with a link :thumb:winky:::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

I am an aged funster,crusty around the edges ! You may assume from that , that I do not have the necessary nouse to be able to do such a task ! I have difficulty in winding up my watch, such is the advance in technology !
The reason for the title (above) is, that I imagine, the troglodytes of Scarborough Council go around in pairs because....one can write...and the other can read !
It's so dark when your head is up your bum !! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think the question was answered in that caravan parks are there to cater for campervans too and those parks income is being affected

copied from report

“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added.

“But when people abuse our parking facilities they are in effect taking away income from local caravan parks which are set up specifically to cater for camper van visitors.”

It would seem more and more seaside towns are saying enough is enough when you park for free on their seafronts (I dont blame them either) but it is a shame that the councils either wont or dont want to set up aires for motorhomes. I also think site rates are on the expensive side generally more so in popular destinations but do use them when away if not at a show

would that include the caravan site owned by ......

Cllr Andrew Backhouse
portfolio holder for parking services in scarborough.
vested interest i'd say :Doh:

this one pops its head up every year and will continue to do so.
the police arent interested, as long as theres no nuisance.
the council cant afford to police all the car parks all the time.

i've yet to see 50 motorhomes parked up on the esplanade, which is known locally as deaths waiting room and is one street where complains are from, and the elderly residents complain when one or two are parked there...never mind 50.

the marine drive may have a couple of dozen during daylight hours but almost none during the night.

havent actually parked on the 'drive' for a long time but i'm sure there are signs regarding overnight sleeping so do so at your own risk.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Good post Pappajohn.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
i've yet to see 50 motorhomes parked up on the esplanade, which is known locally as deaths waiting room and is one street where complains are from, and the elderly residents complain when one or two are parked there...never mind 50.

I don't know what age has to do with it .. have oldies lost the right to complain ? if there were motorhomes parking overnight on my street I certainly would, as I'm sure most on here would.

put it to the test..

hands up all who would welcome motorhomes parked up overnight outside their door ..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Jim the esplanade is a large road at the top of the cliffs and even a couple of hundred vans would not fill it.So it would be like one van parked on a normal road :ROFLMAO:Marine drive is at the bottom of the cliffs well out of sight from the houses and you could fit probably 1000 vans on there :ROFLMAO: so it is a little bit pathetic that people should complain that vans are parking at night.During the day everybody parks where ever they can find a spot --that is part of living on the coast ::bigsmile: They welcome you by day but want you to go home at night :ROFLMAO: not necessary:Smile: in the M/H :ROFLMAO:
They need to decide to welcome tourists or not :thumb:If that means the caravan parks miss out on a few bookings tough but it also means all the shops etc suffer because I for one would not give them any of my business with attitudes from the dark ages.I would sooner travel another ten miles or so to Whitby that beats Scarborough any day
terry
BTW I have never wild parked at Scarborough only ever used sites :Eeek: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
You have no need to apologise for anything, sir... you consider the term "freeloader" apt, so be it... allow me to find the term offensive... it suggests (to me) someone who does not pull his/her weight in this world. :Sad:

I don't call what I do "wild camping" either... I choose to park "off site."

I don't "camp" either. No tables, no chairs and certainly no washing lines with me!

I am well and truly confused now for it appears you don't approve of folk with motorhomes calling in on paid sites and using the facilities they have just paid for. :Eeek: Is there some sort of ideal duration for visits to camp sites?

If I were to be travelling from the UK to a camp site (paid for for three weeks) in Spain, would it be ok for me to visit a site en route for only one night and, if I did so, could I do any washing?

JJ

PS it is the motorhomes and caravans on paid for sites that seem packed in like chickens to me... not the "freeloaders" :winky:

PPS. I am "freeloading" here for a while... ok?
I regularly use sites for one night stops en route and have no problem with others doing exactly the same but there is a world of difference between that and 'wildcampers' using sites as a convenience after spending weeks or months without facilities and all that means regarding effluent etc.
As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as wildcamping in a motorhome, it is neither wild nor camping. Incidentally do you use sites in the manner described or do you have other means, after 20 years on the road you must have developed your own strategies.
I personally do not go on sites that are full and do not like crowds and have spent many years finding sites throughout Europe that suit me, each to there own. Nuff said !!

" Born a grumpy old git and getting worse" my wifes opinion 1970 - present

" Grumpiness is deeply agreeable to the heart" misquote L. Cohen 1989

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
I don't care !!

:ROFLMAO:
I don't know what age has to do with it .. have oldies lost the right to complain ? if there were motorhomes parking overnight on my street I certainly would, as I'm sure most on here would.

put it to the test..

hands up all who would welcome motorhomes parked up overnight outside their door ..

I am at Parc Verger in France !!! Loads of 'em around ! I don't give a toss ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp

people do not park their motorhomes right outside peoples door. But they can't help parking in peoples eyesight............

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Incidentally do you use sites in the manner described or do you have other means, after 20 years on the road you must have developed your own strategies.

" Born a grumpy old git and getting worse" my wifes opinion 1970 - present

" Grumpiness is deeply agreeable to the heart" misquote L. Cohen 1989

One of the many advantages of growing old is that it gives one the natural right to be grumpy...::bigsmile:

Yes indeed I have my "strategies"... washing = laundrettes, black tank/cassette = appropriate manhole and grey = where suitable...

Of course those who know me a little know I like to keep stuff like washing, washing up and washing one's self to a minimum...:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back