DesNdonut got robbed in France ( no joke ) (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the way back home.. stopped in a truck stop on the A428 approaching Rouen ( as we all do..)

Des woke up early and decided to grab a coffee from the service area

Donna and Tom ( grandson ) still in bed

Donna heard the front door open but thought it was Des returning

Nope.. It was some scrote who opened the door, reached in, rummaged through Donna's handbag and stole about £1300 in cash

Des was the first to say how stupid he had been leaving the cab door unlocked, and Donna said how daft SHE was leaving the bag in sight..

But guys and gals.. be warned..

It is safe to do as they did providing you are not complacent about basic security
These scumbags are opportunity thieves.. If a door is open and they can see easy pickings, be sure they WILL take advantage

A locked door and nothing on show will deter the passing scrote from bothering to try

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
saw it happen in Spain a few years ago

I saw this at the first stop point as you arrived in Spain a few years ago.. Dutch car and caravan .. distraction at the side of the tab door and the other team member opened the car doors and grabbed the woman's bag.. then tore off in a car never to be seen again.

On my RV my central locking allows for the cab doors (including drivers) to stay locked when we open the habitation door up on the remote.

Eddie of VanBitz dealt with it for me.. the cab doors need a double click to open and the tab door a single, so the driver and passenger door always remain locked... great

Even when I stop I always ensure the cab doors are on locked position when I climb through to the back.

Bob

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
dreadfull thing to happen,although it could have been a lot worse,i'm glad your family are safe and well:thumb:
in france of all places,i thought france was the promise land:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Bad news..

Even when we stop for a short tea break I remove my sat nav off the dash and push down the locks on the cab, even when sitting in the rear of the van or standing by the side door.
As you say opportunists so best not give them any reason to come mess by your van.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Last year in Spain I thought I was abouty to be a target. We had pulled into a little service area (the type without facilities) and I was having a cofee. I happened to look in my mirrors and saw a couple of Spaniards looking at my van and walking towards me. They had come from 2 separate cars.

I had just read Jim's security book so I was a bit more aware than usual.

I locked all the doors and legged it as quickly as possible.

It was only when I arrived at the Med that I realised I had been trailing diesel all across Spain but had assumed it was fluid from the air conditioning unit:Doh: I couldnt smell it.

My guess is these suspicious looking Spaniards were approaching to help/warn me rather than rob me::bigsmile:

Good tips though Jaws and a timely reminder:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Could happen anywhere though not just france. We just feel more vulnerable in another country. Services on the motorway in the UK have just as many unsavory characters :Sad:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nope.. It was some scrote who opened the door, reached in, rummaged through Donna's handbag and stole about £1300 in cash

And what about £1300 in a handbag when there's a whole motorhome to scatter it around ! That's just encouraging the criminals to try yours and my MH next. Thanks a lot Donna.

PS

I suppose it's never too late to read Jim's book.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just pass on my best wishes to them both John, terrible thing to happen, and i know what him up there ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^is saying. Not what anyone wants to here at a time like this but, 1300? I wish I ever had that much in cash :Eeek:
Unfortunately some lucky scroate is laughing all the way to the [HI][STRIKE]bank[/STRIKE][/HI] drug dealer. :Angry:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Des had just collected the cash from a friend who lives in France who had bought a car from him..
Usually Des is well clued up ( welll.. .he IS a gypsy ! :winky: ) and stashes any lolly in various places. This was the last stop on the way home and the lolly was all together as he ( Des ) had arranged to make a purchase of some gold from another friend as they travelled back up

Des has been very philosophical about it and has accepted it as a lesson hard learned.
They travel around Europe a hellova lot ... As he said, last run in for the ferry, got lackadaisical and paid the price :Sad:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well you have met em a few times Ray so proly know not a lot phases them .. They are fine mate.. but I will pass on everyones good wishes :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Des has been very philosophical about it and has accepted it as a lesson hard learned.
They travel around Europe a hellova lot ... As he said, last run in for the ferry, got lackadaisical and paid the price :Sad:

And then a "friend" spreads his gaff all over the internet.

For the greater good of course.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Des had just collected the cash from a friend who lives in France who had bought a car from him..
Usually Des is well clued up ( [STRIKE][HI]welll.. .he IS a gypsy[/HI][/STRIKE] ! :winky: ) and stashes any lolly in various places. This was the last stop on the way home and the lolly was all together as he ( Des ) [HI][STRIKE]had arranged to make a purchase of some gold[/STRIKE][/HI] from another friend as they travelled back up

Perhaps he ought to stick to lucky heather next time John, :winky:

saves carrying that amount of cash. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And then a "friend" spreads his gaff all over the internet.

For the greater good of course.

A FRIEND !! I aint no friend !!!

It is my daughter and her hubby..

And Des did ask that I post it up in the hope others would not fall foul and remain diligent at all times :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Perhaps he ought to stick to lucky heather next time John, :winky:

saves carrying that amount of cash. :ROFLMAO:

Have you ANY idea how much room a grands worth of lucky heather takes up !! Naaaa.. I reckon pegs are a safer bet !

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
30 years ago I drove into Barcelona, noticed a small white car behind. Pulled over to park by the Port, the white car pulled over further down the road. Took wife's bag and other stuff out of the car and locked it in the boot. Came back an hour later - a pile of rocks on the boot lid holding it down. Luckilly we only lost the contents of the wifes bag, bit of cash (cards were not around then) and her drivers licence. I always carry passports, cash, tickets etc, never leave stuff in the van. The handbook for the 2004 Burstner I bought 6 months ago had a section on security and recommends locking all doors at all times even when driving - which I do.

Sad that there are some that still and always will steal and take advantage - glad it wasn't worse - nobody injured. I hope you get over it soon - but a lesson for us all :Sad:

Old Vic

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A FRIEND !! I aint no friend !!!

It is my daughter and her hubby..

And Des did ask that I post it up in the hope others would not fall foul and remain diligent at all times :thumb:

Well you didn't train her very well did you ! Didn't you mention a relative minding the shop for you whilst away ? Better train them better.

I take my hat off to Des then, it takes a real man to admit they've dropped a clanger like that.

The good news is it's not a life threatening amount, the fuel bill for a big trip, they'll survive. Maybe Jim will be sympathetic and give them a copy of The Book.

I must admit, I always leave via the hab door when filling up and I never lock it with 'er indoors inside but they'd never lay their hands on anything of great value, the passports and some cash in the safe. Emergency cash well hidden. I'm sure I'll still leave the hab door unlocked, we can either live life or cower in a corner.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Could happen anywhere though not just france. We just feel more vulnerable in another country. Services on the motorway in the UK have just as many unsavory characters :Sad:

Agreed half of them serving the food and the others trying to get you to join the AA !

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back