Designing the space (1 Viewer)

RollingRobson

Free Member
Nov 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi,

We are a family of 5 who would like to convert a panel van into space for 5. I have a plan of what I want but how did people design their spaces to make sure they were going to work?

Ideally want three seats at front as usual. Behind on off side a table and two more seats. Ideally a set of seats that would convert to a bed. I know Rock and Roll do this but seem to take out quite a bit space when down that must be left empty unless I am wrong. Then behind that the wet room. Then at the back a U shaped lounger 1.8m long. On other side if possible a full-height fridge freezer(the bigger Dometic) followed by kitchen space.

Now I know will fit in a XLWB I think given load area but wonder if anyone knows a designer that won't charge earth to see if would fit in a LWB sprinter or Crafter as easier to get hold of?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
If you have 1.8m bunks at the rear,

0.9m toilet and kitchen unit,

0.9m kombi seats.

=3.6m lwb.

One child can sleep across the front or second row of seats.

Another option is using bongo seats and runners which slide forward and back and fold back to give a narrow double but your legs would hang off the edge without extra support.

Cheers James

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
You could get the help you want here on Fun (y)

Maybe start by downloading an accurate floor plan of the van you'd like, then draw out a rough layout and post asking for input.

You'll likely get loads of replies and re-designs from a lot of people with a lot of knowledge. Plus answers to any questions you have during your build. Not bad for £20 a year (y)

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Last night on TV was a film showing a couple designing their own pop top panel van. They budgeted for £20,000 but wound up paying over £30,000.
The builder was a graphic designer with extensive visualisation skills. He did not find the task easy.
On the other hand I converted an ambulance by drawing the fittings on the floor and with ignorance in abundance, converted it to suite our needs on a minimum budget. It was far from pretty but gave us loads of fun. With a little less ignorance I converted a high top VW and later sold it at a profit/ Good Luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I had the 3D cad skills to design the interior but used the old methods of measuring drawing and cutting out scale templates and moving around bits of paper when sorting out my Bongo. I also changed it totally 3 times before just allowing it to evolve. I used the cheapest ply to make prototype templates and perfect ideas before committing to vohringher.

Edit look at lots of examples then look again

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
In my opinion I would avoid any Domestic appliances. Expensive crap. Thetford products are far better. Have you thought about converting a box van? Much more room for five.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Slide outs would give you additional space, especially if you fitted a rear slide out using the rear door opening. You could make it into a rear lounge/dining area that converts Into sleeping accomodation at night? Start thinking outside of the confines of 'the box' of the van.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
After having converted our own vans total of 8 over 40 yrs i have found its much easier to get hold of what i call trick bits that are space saving and adjustable in many ways. so really do research on factury fitted one taking ideas of parts you can get hold of new and second hand.
Apliances we love a large frigde freezer and have that in our van we have had for several years but in our van i am converting at the moment which is a 2017 renault master because of the curve of the side of the van haveing my prefered 3 way fridge freezer pushes it to far into the van.
Finnally i am a convert to compresser fridge freezer. which having the compresser on the top is stepped .
I have realised one reason factory fitted panel vans are the fiat is because they are a few inches wider unlike the renault and sprinter.
Parts for converting fiats are also more readily available .

I steered away from the sprinter because you see even 2016 vans rusting badly once stone chiped.
I,m not suggesting you buy any particular van just i have noticed these things myself and thought it may help

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
I've just finished my conversion of an XLWB boxer. I've got seating and beds for 4 - I think you will need either a pop top or bunk beds to comfortably sleep 5.

I used SketchUp software to design it - there is a free option that is absolutely capable. Its not too difficult to learn - there are lots of YouTube video tutorials.

Ian

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
The challenge is the 2nd row of seats that convert to a bed - as you say, a rock and roll bed will do this, but you need to budget the length in the extended position - approx 1.8m

Therefore you've got 1.8m for the front bed, 1.8m for the back bed, and not enough left for even a very narrow bathroom.

A Ducato / Boxer / Relay is wider than a Sprinter and you can sleep width-wise at the back which shortens the length to 1.3m and gets the bathroom in, but you'll lose the U shape lounge.

You can get side pods for a Sprinter that give an extra few inches in width the achieved the same thing.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
From the experience of converting five smaller (VW T4, T5s, 7 T6) over the past seventeen years I suspect that whatever you create will spawn a number of subsequent conversions each tuning the design to your needs.
There are many component suppliers who can be used to source everything for insulation to lighting.
If you think of buying a very recent model to convert you may find this FB group worth a look https://www.facebook.com/groups/2017CrafterTGE . There are also various other sources on the internet devoted to self-build campers, Google is your friend.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
40+ years ago we had a Volkswagen caravette, with a popup roof with 2 bunks ,one on each side.,the front seat was a bench with no access through to the rear so we made
a couple of pieces of ply that were cut so they fitted over the seats with hinged legs to accommodate a child bed across the seats .So with the rock and roll double we could accommodate 2 adults and 3 children Space was tight but you seem to get into a rhythm of doing things so you were not falling over each other .

IanFl

Free Member
Nov 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Self converted boxer
This is YouTube series of a van conversion for 5 people - it might give you ideas of what's possible

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
From the experience of converting five smaller (VW T4, T5s, 7 T6) over the past seventeen years I suspect that whatever you create will spawn a number of subsequent conversions each tuning the design to your needs.
There are many component suppliers who can be used to source everything for insulation to lighting.
If you think of buying a very recent model to convert you may find this FB group worth a look https://www.facebook.com/groups/2017CrafterTGE . There are also various other sources on the internet devoted to self-build campers, Google is your friend.
Defo go for a crafter my next van will be a new shape crafter / tge, best vans ATM.

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back