Design problem with my van? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think of caravaners as the ones who put roots down with peg down awnings and lots of loose equipment to accommodate within it. I see motorhomes as being more mobile and principally designed for easy moving on. I do not want motorhome designers compromising on internal layout so that there are long blank walls without windows doors and vents, just in case one or two users might want to do something unusual like add a privacy room. I don’t even find the need for a wind out awning I just clip a sunshade to my chair.

Sorry but I am getting tired of hearing things described as poor design when it is simply a matter of the vehicle being designed for a different type of use. By all means modify it and the fittings you want to use, that is your choice but please stop blaming the design. Why should the rest of us compromise on internal layout, position of fittings, doors, hatches and windows etc. to allow for a fitting that most of us do not need or want.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think of caravaners as the ones who put roots down with peg down awnings and lots of loose equipment to accommodate within it. I see motorhomes as being more mobile and principally designed for easy moving on. I do not want motorhome designers compromising on internal layout so that there are long blank walls without windows doors and vents, just in case one or two users might want to do something unusual like add a privacy room. I don’t even find the need for a wind out awning I just clip a sunshade to my chair.

Sorry but I am getting tired of hearing things described as poor design when it is simply a matter of the vehicle being designed for a different type of use. By all means modify it and the fittings you want to use, that is your choice but please stop blaming the design. Why should the rest of us compromise on internal layout, position of fittings, doors, hatches and windows etc. to allow for a fitting that most of us do not need or want.
Totally agree, designing a MoHo must present challenges trying to meet core needs and then options....the list goes on and on..

Oh and the design issue is not the Van what is being described is the awning / privacy room supplier

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

I am not attacking your opinion, you are entitled to it, as I am entitled to mine.

I agree there is some difference in usage between a motorhome and a caravan, however, in the time I had a caravan, most of the motorhomes I saw, never moved from one day to the next and a good proportion of them had an awning or enclosure of some description, so I feel my view is also justified.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!

I am not attacking your opinion, you are entitled to it, as I am entitled to mine.

I agree there is some difference in usage between a motorhome and a caravan, however, in the time I had a caravan, most of the motorhomes I saw, never moved from one day to the next and a good proportion of them had an awning or enclosure of some description, so I feel my view is also justified.

The one motorhome related post in yonks and it turns out to be an argument!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We're up to 93 (now 94) posts on this subject. Just think of the awning problem as a pleasant distraction from the sh*t construction (rather than design) standards reached by the leisure vehicle industry. And move on.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
May sound a bit drastic but the door and it’s surround are one unit, could you not remove and refit with hitches to the rear of van and door handles to the front ? At least then you could open the door and it would just rest against your awning side pane. If you are not a diyer then there a number of mobile service engineers who could complete the job for you.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Robster on a positive note in this image the tent is smaller than the van which would give clear access to the Garage, I suspect that this could be installed to the rear of the van giving access to the Garage (and venting of the Fridge), the only difference being no rear wall to the van but you can get draft strips for the lower part of the van which should help keep your dog in situ. It not perfect but as you have found none of the solutions are.

One other suggestion is if you want to have a good discussion with a very knowledgable supplier try Rose Awnings https://www.roseawnings.co.uk They are often at the MoHo Shows and from experience they have a wealth of knowledge why not give them a call.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 08.20.47.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My opinion too, Motorhome manufacturers are in business to make a profit so they produce what the market wants. Privacy room are propably used by less than 0.1% of owners not exactly a lot of people want then so why would a manufacturer go out of their way to produce something that is not required by the majority of their customers.
The OP should have done his research rather than buy something that is unsuitable for his use then bitch about it. A caravan would have been more suitable for him.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Just a thought where are your toilet waste access point and boiler vent? We had a Hobby and could not have a privacy room as it would have meant gassing us or removing the muck through the room. ( Good German design or what!) The continentals obviously do not use privacy rooms as much as the UK
I think you will find that a massive percentage of motorhome/caravans have the fridge/heater/boiler vent on
the habitation door side so would be inside any awning.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think you will find that a massive percentage of motorhome/caravans have the fridge/heater/boiler vent on
the habitation door side so would be inside any awning.
Indeed just like the Thule photo

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Bürstner designed the van, Bürstner installed the awning as a standard fitment in this position.

That in my book is a design fault By Bürstner, I have no issue with Thule, they cannot mandate how and where the awning is fitted, but someone at Bürstner should have realised this could/would be an issue.
I cannot see how you can blame Burstner or Thule.

It is an awning designed to be a sun shade and light rain shield for a motorhome not a caravan. Unlike the steel framed awnings used with caravans, it can't cope with winds or heavy rains because it is not designed to. Very few people people add a privacy room to their awning

Just looking at your motorhome, or even just a photo of it, before buying should have shown that this was not going to work for what you wanted to do. Most continental makers like Burstner list an awning as an optional extra, and most offer several different sizes to choose from. Many people choose the longest one, in which case a problem like this is inevitable because of that choice. If this was so important to you did you not check before buying that it would work with the length of awning you have?

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
On my 726g 55 the awning was positioned over the rear side window or garage door, so l decided to improvise by buying a Jormax windbreak and sometimes using a porch awning. Job done great van. (y)
49211AAB-4CE4-4B94-A52C-5C83E11DA844.jpeg
DCDDB743-BCB9-4E48-96B3-DA8404A42123.jpeg
19438522-451C-445A-AF03-0C5BAA66C249.jpeg
D8196206-B1B5-4F5D-82DD-8944FFA92380.jpeg

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If this was so important to you did you not check before buying that it would work with the length of awning you have?
I cant tell you how many conversations I was having with the dealer when I ordered the Hymer, I must have drove them mad, and had at least 3 calls with Rose Awnings and a couple of conversations at the Show, I also contacted Thule who kindly sent and engineer drawing of the roof rails. Check, Check and check again......The sales guys are not technical and I had so many questions. in the end I understood 99% of what I was buying and received 99% of what I was expecting.....the 1% is something I can live with

OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hey Dan and Jan, I really like the look of the windbreaks you have, look like they would do the job a treat, can you point me at a manufacturer please or a link?

Silly question, but I notice in the picture you are on a heard standing, how easy was it to drive the poles into the ground or am i missing something?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Silly question, but I notice in the picture you are on a heard standing, how easy was it to drive the poles into the ground or am i missing something?
He has to carry one of these ... :rofl:

1587395366018.png

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
Hey Dan and Jan, I really like the look of the windbreaks you have, look like they would do the job a treat, can you point me at a manufacturer please or a link?

Hi the windbreaks are by Jormax there are a few posts on here. They are really strong and stable. So far the posts have gone into any surface. Not cheap but are fool proof for dogs.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012

We have a Kampa windbreak at sensible money which also has base posts that are driven into the ground. I made some struts from gardening poles to eliminate the bits of string holding it up!
John
DSC00873.JPG

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I’d personally go for a rain blocker and a front piece aswell, you can choose your length and which end you prefer to fit depending on weather etc.
The rain blocker will just pull out of the way to enable you to get in the garage. I had this same problem on my last Dethleffs but it didn’t worry me.
I also had a safari room but only used it a handful of times as the rain blocker and 1.5m front panel was ideal for us.
B6F8B965-8F7B-440C-AA4A-583EB6F20F6C.jpeg
2006D842-3601-4DC8-BCC0-A13F5C4F87DC.jpeg
2271B489-7B0A-4243-951B-4B3C67F39862.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back