Design flaws and health and safety (1 Viewer)

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
There is one thing that has bothered me almost since I bought my Dethleffs in February and it is the silly positioning of a 230V plug right next the kitchen sink. Look at the picture below to see what I mean.
The tap can even be swivelled enough so that it would be pouring water over any plug that was in the socket.

If this was a house it would surely be condemned as a serious safety hazard.

So that had me thinking, are motorhomes exempt from the standard and common sense electricity regulations?

I assume not, but surely this design is very questionable and just downright stupid.

Attachments

• taps2.jpg
    taps2.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There is one thing that has bothered me almost since I bought my Dethleffs in February and it is the silly positioning of a 230V plug right next the kitchen sink. Look at the picture below to see what I mean.
The tap can even be swivelled enough so that it would be pouring water over any plug that was in the socket.

If this was a house it would surely be condemned as a serious safety hazard.

So that had me thinking, are motorhomes exempt from the standard and common sense electricity regulations?

I assume not, but surely this design is very questionable and just downright stupid.

No actually it wouldn't.

It could be considered bad practice unless there was really nowhere else it could go but there nothing in BS7671 to prevent it. There is suggested guidance but nothing more.

Your second question: BS7671 does not apply to motorhomes and caravans.

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
So Motorhome designers have 'free reign' to do what the hell they want even if it contradicts common sense!?
Seems a bit 'off' to me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So Motorhome designers have 'free reign' to do what the hell they want even if it contradicts common sense!?
Seems a bit 'off' to me.

Like I said there would be nothing wrong with it in a house either if the kitchen area was similarly sized. I've come across similar things in houses many many times. There's absolutely nothing you can say about it on a report unless there is somewhere obvious further away where it could have been sited. Even then you can only make a comment, it's not a fault as such.

Actually I was wrong in my first post (y)

I've just checked and caravans are a special installation in BS7671 these days. There's still nothing wrong with the socket in that location though (y)

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We have already decided to not use the socket anyway for this reason. I will also try to get a socket blanking plate, so no big deal.
Still slightly annoying though:unsure:

Thank you for your informative reply NickNic.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I wouldn't worry about it, you're on four rubber tyres :D2
Actually, the one in our van is above the sink drainer, the steam from the kettle hits it full on :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have an RCD in the van and if on a site the EHU bollard with have one as well don't see the problem, I expect you have one near the sink in the washroom as well. Every van we have had has been similar current van has one on the back wall above the sink and another just below the worktop right below the sink doesn't worry me.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interestingly when we took delivery of our new van (Hymer DL) in January the dealer had disconnected the 230 vac socket in the bathroom cupboard when queried I was told it was against UK regs, they posted a small sign below it stating it was disconnected. The one above the sink was left live but they had stuck another little label below it stating sink cover had to be in place before use.

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I do not want to 'labour the point' or get too off topic, but there seems to be a contradiction in the regulations and the accepted way of doing things.
We are not allowed to put plugs in bathrooms in a house for the same reason I started this post.
See here: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...tb9dSPn4Bkq-kvJIXVt5NvJat0MEuyZ6O0aAuY-8P8HAQ

The same danger applies does it not.o_O I am not too worried about it, it just seems a bit contradictory and weird.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do not want to 'labour the point' or get too off topic, but there seems to be a contradiction in the regulations and the accepted way of doing things.
We are not allowed to put plugs in bathrooms in a house for the same reason I started this post.
See here: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...tb9dSPn4Bkq-kvJIXVt5NvJat0MEuyZ6O0aAuY-8P8HAQ

The same danger applies does it not.o_O I am not too worried about it, it just seems a bit contradictory and weird.
Just celebrate the fact that motorhome designers assume their customers have some common sense. There's no danger caused by a socket near the sink unless the user decides to do something dangerous with it.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We use the 230 socket in our bathroom (Hobby 700) every day for hairdryer, well not me obviously :D2

Signed 'bald eagle badknee' :LOL::LOL:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
And you'd have to make sure one of those little people(I think they call them children) doesn't fiddle with it while your back's turned.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Interestingly when we took delivery of our new van (Hymer DL) in January the dealer had disconnected the 230 vac socket in the bathroom cupboard when queried I was told it was against UK regs, they posted a small sign below it stating it was disconnected. The one above the sink was left live but they had stuck another little label below it stating sink cover had to be in place before use.

What regulations? Caravan regulations ? I wouldn't be happy finding them disconnecting stuff.

Your link does not state that , just that if one is fitted it must be 3m from the bath or shower.
If you go to"kitchen" on the same link it only says that socket must be 30cm from the sink

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The continentals allow much more application of common sense. It is normal to have standard mains sockets in bathrooms, in nearly 60 years of visiting I have only rarely seen an isolated shaver socket. Be sensible and it will be OK

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
If you go to"kitchen" on the same link it only says that socket must be 30cm from the sink
I was only making the point that electricity and water do not mix wherever and whatever scenario it is in, and my tap and sink are more like 30mm from the plug, not 30CM and in fact, as mentioned, the tap spout can be positioned OVER the plug. I am not one of those anal 'health and safety' nutters, just mindful that IMO, my tap is too dangerously designed and positioned to a 240V plug. I do not care about regulations, or even that it seems to be common in motorhomes. I just think it is NUTS!(n)

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I was only making the point that electricity and water do not mix wherever and whatever scenario it is in, and my tap and sink are more like 30mm from the plug, not 30CM and in fact, as mentioned, the tap spout can be positioned OVER the plug. I am not one of those anal 'health and safety' nutters, just mindful that IMO, my tap is too dangerously designed and positioned to a 240V plug. I do not care about regulations, or even that it seems to be common in motorhomes. I just think it is NUTS!(n)
I agree, I wouldnt be happy.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Although I am now out of touch with up to date H & S legislation
I can confirm that everyone in the UK has a legal duty of care to everybody else. Also in the 1974 haswa under section 3.1 All employers have a duty of care to others. In essence, everybody who can be effected by his/her acts and omissions. So yes, the manufacturer has to take all this and a whole shed load of other considerations, regulations, rules and codes of practices into account when building and supplying products to Joe public.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

What's missing from that is the the way it's worded in BS7671 (the wiring regs) The words "where practicable" are added to the end.

I don't have a regs book any more so I can't post the exact reg but someone else might.

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I've just checked and caravans are a special installation in BS7671 these days. There's still nothing wrong with the socket in that location though (y)
Well maybe from the point of view of the regulations manual. But in reality, I am going to override the regulations with common sense. I have shown the photo...surely you can see my point:whistle:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Well maybe from the point of view of the regulations manual. But in reality, I am going to override the regulations with common sense. I have shown the photo...surely you can see my point:whistle:

Like I said previously there is one in my van in a similar position. I have no problem with it. (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It amuses me in my sons house in France all the bath and shower rooms have the light switch inside the room and they all have a socket. Bare in mind that the UK domestic wiring systems are not as safe as the continental systems, they use double pole switches and have had RCD's for a long time.

Personally the location of your socket wouldn't bother me, if you're not happy, remove and disconnect it.

OP
OP
smiffy64

smiffy64

Free Member
May 3, 2017
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Like I said previously there is one in my van in a similar position. I have no problem with it. (y)
Personally the location of your socket wouldn't bother me, if you're not happy, remove and disconnect it.
There are plenty available in baby shopts / online

So what you are saying is, and I do not mean any disrespect (at least in your direction), you are happy to accept a situation where a tap hovers over an electrical 240V outlet, and just accept it because 'that is the way it is' ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
So what you are saying is, and I do not mean any disrespect (at least in your direction), you are happy to accept a situation where a tap hovers over an electrical 240V outlet, and just accept it because 'that is the way it is' ?

I accept it because based on my qualifications and many years experience I don't see a significant risk (y)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The risk is always the user. It poses no risk if not used, if used correctly it poses no risk. Just make sure you don't spray water on it. As above, if you're not happy with it remove and disconnect it. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
As an aside and as best as I can recall, all British Standards have been incorporated into EU standards and are pretty much obsolete as they have on effect been superveeded. I'm going back at least 7 years.
Bet a pound to a pinch of dog shit this will now be challenged. Lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back