Design feedback on solar/electrical system (1 Viewer)

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
I'm looking for feedback on the design of my Sprinter vans solar/electrical system.
Sprinter_Electrics.png

Design choices I have made are:

12-volt use only when off-grid.
Shore power to charge leisure and/or starter battery.
Alternator to charge the leisure battery.
250Ah battery should provide 3-4 days of off-grid power during inclement weather (based on load/usage calculations).

Questions:
Are componants sized appropriately?
Can the design be improved in terms of utility, efficiency, and simplicity?

I really appreciate feedback from those with experience.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the alternator will not be sufficient to charge the large leisure battery, you will need a battery to battery charger

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the alternator will not be sufficient to charge the large leisure battery, you will need a battery to battery charger

Or a battery master

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looks unnecessarily complicated to me.

Mine is Solar Panels ----> Fuses -----> Controller ------> Leisure Batteries.

There's also a battery master taking care of the engine battery.

Job done, works perfectly all year round.

And before anyone starts it's a professional install not a DIY one (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
a batterymaster cannot charge at 40amps

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
a batterymaster cannot charge at 40amps

Does it need to? Our engine battery has never run flat.

I've always thought that if everything else is set up properly B2B is over the top. Fine if you don't have solar but not needed if you do.

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Looks unnecessarily complicated to me.

I'm all ears Nick.
How does your system meet the same design requirements? I.e. Shore power to charge leisure and/or starter battery.
Alternator to charge the leisure battery.

I'm all for simplifying things without losing utility.

I'll look into a battery master. Thanks

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Would a generator attached to the shore power input suffice to charge the vehicle battery with the leisure battery isolated?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Your mains sockets are not earthed according to your diagram, also no overload circuit breakers on the mains, just an RCD

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Thank you Reallyretired... I'd mistakenly thought an RCD would deal with overloads as well as jumps to earth.

Great feedback Sir

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the b2b is to charge the large leisure battery by running the engine when the solar cant keep up with draw

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would a generator attached to the shore power input suffice to charge the vehicle battery with the leisure battery isolated?
Why would you want or need to.
The vehicle battery should be fine for a reasonable time if left out of the equation completely.
If necessary, a simple Batterymaster charger would keep it topped up directly from the leisure battery as and when needed. Your method would have the engine battery on constant charge whether needed or not.

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Would a battery-to-battery charger sit in between the alternator and the vehicle battery or the vehicle battery and the leisure battery?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Would a battery-to-battery charger sit in between the alternator and the vehicle battery or the vehicle battery and the leisure battery?
it takes the feed from the alternator and uses electronics to trick the alternator to supply a full charge to the leisure battery. the alternator would otherwise drop to minimal once the van battery had been topped up

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Whether you need a B2B charger is down to how you plan to use your vehicle. A B2B charger is not cheap and I suspect 99% of MHs don't have one and get along fine.
If you find you need one it could be added later so I suggest ignore it for the moment. :)

You need an inexpensive split charge relay to charge the leisure batteries when the engine is running and as suggested a battery master to do the same for the vehicle battery when on solar or EHU - this is the usual setup and for a reason, it works. You dont need manual switches when it can be done automatically.

I would also add some instrumentation so you can actually monitor what is going one. The NASA BM1 or the equivalent Victron model would be fine. These work on a shunt in the leisure battery feed and will tell you the state of charge, voltage etc. :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
a big battery is hard to move which is why most setups will use two smaller batteries
in practice your bus bars will be multiple connections to the battery terminals unless your batteries are a distance from everything else
you dont show any fuses for the 12v side
either a b2b or a split charge in place of your manual switch everyone ive known with manual change over has been stranded with flat batteries at least once
you dont show a fridge? if its a 12v compressor like a waceo youll need a good sized 12v supply for that direct from batteries if its a three way you will need a relay to send a 12v supply to it when the engine runs it also needs a permenant 12v feed for the electronics and light

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The shore supply needs looking at again. If you think that circuit diagram is accurate you definitely need professional advice.

An RCD is double-pole - in other words, it switches both the live and neutral wires. It protects against electric shock but not overcurrent.

An MCB may be single or double pole. It protects against overcurrent. A double-pole one is best, but difficult to find in the UK.

A combined unit called an RCBO contains both functions. It is usually more expensive than a separate MCB and RCD.

I don't know where you get the '110/240V' AC supply from, but that's not what you get this side of the Atlantic Ocean. It's straightforward 230 volts AC over here.

Also you need to look at the leisure battery to starter battery connection. When the engine starter is running, there is a huge current from starter battery to starter motor. If the leisure battery is connected to the starter battery, part of the huge current will come from the leisure batteries, which is probably not what you want.

This is usually avoided by placing a relay between the two batteries. The relay switches off when the engine is stopped, and while the engine starter motor is running.

Once the engine is running and the starter motor is no longer powered, the relay switches on to allow current from the alternator to charge the leisure battery.

I can see nothing in this circuit that performs this automatic switching function. This device, called a split charge relay, is standard on motorhomes and caravans.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The shore supply needs looking at again. If you think that circuit diagram is accurate you definitely need professional advice.

An RCD is double-pole - in other words, it switches both the live and neutral wires. It protects against electric shock but not overcurrent.

An MCB may be single or double pole. It protects against overcurrent. A double-pole one is best, but difficult to find in the UK.

A combined unit called an RCBO contains both functions. It is usually more expensive than a separate MCB and RCD.

I don't know where you get the '110/240V' AC supply from, but that's not what you get this side of the Atlantic Ocean. It's straightforward 230 volts AC over here.

Also you need to look at the leisure battery to starter battery connection. When the engine starter is running, there is a huge current from starter battery to starter motor. If the leisure battery is connected to the starter battery, part of the huge current will come from the leisure batteries, which is probably not what you want.

This is usually avoided by placing a relay between the two batteries. The relay switches off when the engine is stopped, and while the engine starter motor is running.

Once the engine is running and the starter motor is no longer powered, the relay switches on to allow current from the alternator to charge the leisure battery.

I can see nothing in this circuit that performs this automatic switching function. This device, called a split charge relay, is standard on motorhomes and caravans.
Other than @autorouter comments there's little wrong with your circuitry. I woud suggest, as others have, that you maximise use of the alternator by using a b2b unit.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
no overload circuit breakers on the mains, just an RCD

no overload circuit breakers on the mains, just an RCD

incorrect

I'd mistakenly thought an RCD would deal with overloads as well as jumps to earth.

You were correct

The RCD is also an CB rated at 16A

That is what is fitted in my Hymer.. with no other CBs

This popular esr RCD is suitable for installation in esr Consumer Units.
esr RCD works by detecting overcurrents due to both overload and fault currents.

https://www.elementlighting.co.uk/c...AkKHEALw_wcB&zenid=ok40f9jkg4h22upkra4rpga7n5

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
the b2b is to charge the large leisure battery by running the engine when the solar cant keep up with draw

Like I said, unnecessary. Or it is for us anyway. Our solar has never not kept up.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I stand by What I said. The diagram only mentions an rcd not an rcbo as in your link.

fair point.. it doesn't,

perhaps he didn't realise there is a difference between RCD and RCBO .. or it was an omission on the drawing

in any case, now it has been highlighted he can buy the correct one for the job.. :)

Edit ..

this is the problem with unqualified DIY electricians

Just noticed on the drawing, the RCD is shown as single pole

According to 17th caravan regs, The RCD should be DOUBLE POLE>>

The RCD must comply with BS EN 61008-1 or BS EN 61009-1, interrupt all live (line and neutral) conductors and have the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Sorry to bang on about this, but that link is to an RCD, not an RCBO. The web site description is wrong.

Look at the RCBO description and you will see it is identical apart from the letter O.
https://www.elementlighting.co.uk/c...cbo-16a-30ma?zenid=ok40f9jkg4h22upkra4rpga7n5
The RCD in the first link will NOT protect against overcurrents. The guy who does the web site just cut and pasted the description text. Careless, but quite common on technical web sites.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@Red_48 Just for reference.. extract 17Th edition IEE Regs Caravans and Motorhomes, may be useful .

Attachments

• 17th. Edition IEE Regulations Caravans and Motor Caravans .pdf
    137.3 KB · Views: 8

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
He is doing the conversion on a Merc so it will probably have a smart alternator so will need one of the electronic control boxes that flools the alternator so it doesn't shut down. Hymer fit a Schaudt unit and I think Votronic make one as well.
Also most Motorhomes have an uprated alternator (Hymer fit 160 amp one) will the standard one be up to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just for information, this is the device fitted to mine..

Residual current operated circuit-breaker with integral overcurrent protection (RCBO)

Rated current (AC) 13 A

Rated residual current I∆n 0.03 A

IMG_3312.jpg

sold by Amazon
Amazon product ASIN B074GC5GXX

OP
OP
Red_48

Red_48

Free Member
Aug 26, 2018
Funster No
MH
Sprinter CDI313 LWB
Exp
Posting privileges restored!!!!

Very frustrating to read comments that I can't contribute to.

Amended diagram a few days ago with a B2B, and a breaker in addition to an RCD on the AC side.

Please feedback (including comments on size). My current daily load estimates are 147Ah (1772Wh).

Attachments

• Solar Load Estimate.png
    Solar Load Estimate.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Sprinter_Electrics.png
    Sprinter_Electrics.png
    112 KB · Views: 31

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You have the RCD on the wrong side of the input socket, & do you have a smart alternator.
Something wrong with your figurers thats 113 a/h a day - unsuportable.
E.g. Fantastic fan draws only between 0.5 to just over an amp on full. You would be better working your figurers on amps easier to understand as you normally calculate the power in amp hours.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back