Design considerations.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by beachcaster, Oct 18, 2012.

1. beachcaster

beachcaster

Ratings:
    +3,178
    We just spent a day and a half wandering around at the NEC looking at mainly motorhomes and I noticed some design trends that I found interesting.

many premium motor home manufacturers seemed obsessed by the idea of turning the interiors into a trendy apartment.
    Masses of white leather.....really pale carpets and my most hated...in the bathroom a small glass "sit on the surface" "washing bowl" not much bigger than a desert bowl. I have my rice pudding in something bigger than that !

One manufacturer of 60 - 100k motorhomes had no wardrobe space at all in many of their motorhomes ....No where to hang clothes or coats !

But the worst thing I saw again from a well know expensive brand was a drop down bed that lowered itself in a very impressive way from the ceiling at the press of a button.............and once in position covered and blocked the doorway !
    I am sure that some of the designers have never used a motorhome !

I could go on ...and on. Whatever happened to practicality ?

Oh and the poncy manufacturers only allowed "Accompanied Viewing"
    You had to have a salesman show you around inside.............

Overall an interesting experience that for me demonstrated an industry that for the most part is losing its way.

barry

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    • Like it Like it x 7
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

Ratings:
    +36,572
    Seems to me to be yet another example of the modern trend of image over content.

It looks great so I will buy it (and pay more than it is worth because it is a "Brand").

I was looking at a luxury, top of the range van once and later learnt that if I put my shaving kit in the flash bathroom cupboard and laid out my Man City Jim Jams on the island bed I would have used up nearly all the payload!

None spare for FB pies... :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

• Like it Like it x 4
  3. Terry

Terry Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,180
    The trend has been around for a long time now ----One of the worst being the nice looking sun roofs above the driving seats.A perfect way of saving money on cupboards/storage and payload.They also stick in lots of open shelf / wine racking that again could be useful cupboards.
    Do a S/B and you get what you want ::bigsmile:
    Terry

• Like it Like it x 4
  4. thearchitect

thearchitect

Ratings:
    +97
    Form should follow function, so I agree with all of the above.

I'm off to the NEC tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing all these 'fancy vans' and if I can hang my flowery shirts and [STRIKE]red[/STRIKE] LILYWHITE strides in the wardrobe and if there's anywhere to store my manbags. :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +66,588
    Bugger. I have just ordered a van with a nice looking sun roof over the driving seats..:Doh:::bigsmile:

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,991
    My 2012 Autotrail still had a stupid crome wine bottle and glass holder in one of the rear top cupboards.. First job was to un-screw it and it's gone in the re-cycle box..
    and to make it worse, no cup / bottle holders in the new cab :Doh:

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,991
    So in the summer when it's hot you will have all that sun shining in. making it nice and hotter.. and in winter another patch for extra condensation / heat loss...

My mate's words not mine.. But a valid point I guess.. There are lots of caravans with that design now..

• Like it Like it x 2
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Funster

Ratings:
    +1,588
    Barry I Totally agree with you 100%:thumb:...looks good in a brochure:Doh: But not in the real world.

Mel

9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

Ratings:
    +1,318
    As the old saying goes, Never Mind the quality feel the width, do you remember that saying? I all ways remember that when i inspect any thing that comes from China:ROFLMAO:

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +35,124
    Then go and sit in an old Hymer, loads on here, just about the best compromise you'll ever see.

I must say brisey's new Autotrail Apache 632 SE comes the closest second I've seen in a modern van.

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. electricscott

electricscott Funster

Ratings:
    +72
    me too, no intention of buying just s nice day out, also looking for a similar layout to our bessicarr 645 just in case we win the lottery.:RollEyes:

12. Terry

Terry Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +7,180
    ::bigsmile: I made 2 cupboards up there and get tv plus 3 single quilts and 3 x 2 ins memory mattresses up there :thumb::Smile:
    terry

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +66,588
    Indeed, but at all other times a lovely bright van. It comes with a blind so not sure it's a great big deal. It is I think a perfect van for us:thumb:

14. Gunner29

Gunner29

Ratings:
    +613
    NEC

Off tomorrow (Friday) but not looking to buy a new M/H.
    Lots of bits and pieces needed but will see what the prices are v Amazon!!!