Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
We just spent a day and a half wandering around at the NEC looking at mainly motorhomes and I noticed some design trends that I found interesting.

many premium motor home manufacturers seemed obsessed by the idea of turning the interiors into a trendy apartment.
Masses of white leather.....really pale carpets and my most hated...in the bathroom a small glass "sit on the surface" "washing bowl" not much bigger than a desert bowl. I have my rice pudding in something bigger than that !

One manufacturer of 60 - 100k motorhomes had no wardrobe space at all in many of their motorhomes ....No where to hang clothes or coats !

But the worst thing I saw again from a well know expensive brand was a drop down bed that lowered itself in a very impressive way from the ceiling at the press of a button.............and once in position covered and blocked the doorway !
I am sure that some of the designers have never used a motorhome !

I could go on ...and on. Whatever happened to practicality ?

Oh and the poncy manufacturers only allowed "Accompanied Viewing"
You had to have a salesman show you around inside.............

Overall an interesting experience that for me demonstrated an industry that for the most part is losing its way.

barry

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Seems to me to be yet another example of the modern trend of image over content.

It looks great so I will buy it (and pay more than it is worth because it is a "Brand").

I was looking at a luxury, top of the range van once and later learnt that if I put my shaving kit in the flash bathroom cupboard and laid out my Man City Jim Jams on the island bed I would have used up nearly all the payload!

None spare for FB pies... :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The trend has been around for a long time now ----One of the worst being the nice looking sun roofs above the driving seats.A perfect way of saving money on cupboards/storage and payload.They also stick in lots of open shelf / wine racking that again could be useful cupboards.
Do a S/B and you get what you want ::bigsmile:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thearchitect

Free Member
Sep 20, 2012
North London
Funster No
MH
Getting closer.
Exp
Short stint 1972-6 none since
Form should follow function, so I agree with all of the above.

I'm off to the NEC tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing all these 'fancy vans' and if I can hang my flowery shirts and [STRIKE]red[/STRIKE] LILYWHITE strides in the wardrobe and if there's anywhere to store my manbags. :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The trend has been around for a long time now ----One of the worst being the nice looking sun roofs above the driving seats.A perfect way of saving money on cupboards/storage and payload.They also stick in lots of open shelf / wine racking that again could be useful cupboards.
Do a S/B and you get what you want ::bigsmile:
Terry

Bugger. I have just ordered a van with a nice looking sun roof over the driving seats..:Doh:::bigsmile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
They also stick in lots of open shelf / wine racking that again could be useful cupboards.

My 2012 Autotrail still had a stupid crome wine bottle and glass holder in one of the rear top cupboards.. First job was to un-screw it and it's gone in the re-cycle box..
and to make it worse, no cup / bottle holders in the new cab :Doh:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Bugger. I have just ordered a van with a nice looking sun roof over the driving seats..:Doh:::bigsmile:

So in the summer when it's hot you will have all that sun shining in. making it nice and hotter.. and in winter another patch for extra condensation / heat loss...

My mate's words not mine.. But a valid point I guess.. There are lots of caravans with that design now..

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We just spent a day and a half wandering around at the NEC looking at mainly motorhomes and I noticed some design trends that I found interesting.

many premium motor home manufacturers seemed obsessed by the idea of turning the interiors into a trendy apartment.
Masses of white leather.....really pale carpets and my most hated...in the bathroom a small glass "sit on the surface" "washing bowl" not much bigger than a desert bowl. I have my rice pudding in something bigger than that !

One manufacturer of 60 - 100k motorhomes had no wardrobe space at all in many of their motorhomes ....No where to hang clothes or coats !

But the worst thing I saw again from a well know expensive brand was a drop down bed that lowered itself in a very impressive way from the ceiling at the press of a button.............and once in position covered and blocked the doorway !
I am sure that some of the designers have never used a motorhome !

I could go on ...and on. Whatever happened to practicality ?

Oh and the poncy manufacturers only allowed "Accompanied Viewing"
You had to have a salesman show you around inside.............

Overall an interesting experience that for me demonstrated an industry that for the most part is losing its way.

barry

Barry I Totally agree with you 100%:thumb:...looks good in a brochure:Doh: But not in the real world.

Mel

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
As the old saying goes, Never Mind the quality feel the width, do you remember that saying? I all ways remember that when i inspect any thing that comes from China:ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
barry

Then go and sit in an old Hymer, loads on here, just about the best compromise you'll ever see.

I must say brisey's new Autotrail Apache 632 SE comes the closest second I've seen in a modern van.

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
Form should follow function, so I agree with all of the above.

I'm off to the NEC tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing all these 'fancy vans' and if I can hang my flowery shirts and [STRIKE]red[/STRIKE] LILYWHITE strides in the wardrobe and if there's anywhere to store my manbags. :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

me too, no intention of buying just s nice day out, also looking for a similar layout to our bessicarr 645 just in case we win the lottery.:RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

::bigsmile: I made 2 cupboards up there and get tv plus 3 single quilts and 3 x 2 ins memory mattresses up there :thumb::Smile:
terry

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
So in the summer when it's hot you will have all that sun shining in. making it nice and hotter.. and in winter another patch for extra condensation / heat loss...

My mate's words not mine.. But a valid point I guess.. There are lots of caravans with that design now..

Indeed, but at all other times a lovely bright van. It comes with a blind so not sure it's a great big deal. It is I think a perfect van for us:thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
NEC

Off tomorrow (Friday) but not looking to buy a new M/H.
Lots of bits and pieces needed but will see what the prices are v Amazon!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back