LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK - time to put my money where my mouth is time after saying we need some more meets.

Anyone up for a meet in one of the most beautiful areas of the UK - The Peak District National Park and the Hope Valley in particular. Wonderful area. Lots to see, especially if you like caves or just take in some stunning views.

I've just had a ride around spotted some potential sites but without an idea of numbers it's hard to do anything concrete in such a popular area.

One potential site: www.lanesidecaravanpark.co.uk

Any takers for, say 18/21 Sept or following weekend. Bit of luck and weather could be good.

If I can get some numbers then I can do some proper planning.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Brian

Glad to see this site come up again - this was the camp site I did our first meet at.

The only thing I would comment on is the access in to the site. The large rigs would need to take a wide sweep in to it which would mean going on to the wrong side of the road. Do-able though.

The other thing is that the camp site operates a one way system. When we had our meet we were all on hard standing. When the large rigs wanted to leave, they had to turn right out of the hardstanding area, then turn round in order to get back on to the one way system. Again do-able but rigs over 32 foot would have to do this.

It's a nice site though - and within easy reach of 2 good pubs. We frequented the pub on both nights as they do good food and whilst they are both within walking distance Geo took the Sooty van so that we could ferry people to and from the site (his excuse anyway).

Somewhere on the forum there will be the photos of the meet - we all had a great time.

We would probably be up for it.

Pammy

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Love Derbyshire but £18.50 a night? Sorry that is too rich for our tastes. :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Love Derbyshire but £18.50 a night? Sorry that is too rich for our tastes. :RollEyes:

I agree especially when you see where we are next month for €15 a night.

But early days, they may do a deal or I keep looking if I can go with some attractive numbers.

Now Jim has clouded the issue - Shrewsbury is also a nice area.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You can pencil us in for either weekend Brian. It looks like a nice quiet site, in a lovely area , 2 pubs as well .
As i read it , is the £18.50 for 1 night or Fri and Sat ?
Theres also a £2 charge per dog i notice. We've got 2. :RollEyes:
So depending on final charges , its a yes.
It would be better if you could get a rally price as we will have just got back from our Hols in Gran Canaria , and will more than likely be skint :winky:
Bev

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Brian
I cant see Pammy paying that sort of rate, we did use the large hardstanding area Near his new "RV" dump point, not the main camp site
so maybe a rally rate is available
The time we went he had just constructed a huge concrete drive on dump point about 40 foot by 20 foot, perfect for RVs he said:thumb: he had never seen an RV before, He has made the actual dump slap bang centre:RollEyes:
And RVs for those that dont know, can only dump from the left so we drive straight over the grate and cant reach it:Doh::Doh::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I'm very interested in the meets if in any of those two places if the price is ok.... When cost of fuel is so high I have to watch the pennies.

Will definitely watch this thread with interest. thank you.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Well done on arranging the meet.

Sorry we cant make it but it looks a lovely site, hope you all have a fantastic time.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This site is close by http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=2596

I've not stopped there myself but have visited friends who have stayed there. The other site mentioned is always extremely busy and has zero appeal compared to Hardhurst.

I think I stopped outside that one. Immediate problem was the railway that formed one side of the field. And of course the Traveller's Arms is now demolished.

It did look a typical cheap 'n' cheerful FUN site.

You're local then, any more suggestions ?

This is another one, I've stayed on this one and would again but no close pubs:
http://www.greenhillsholidaypark.co.uk/

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Brian,

Regarding proposed meet in derbyshire, as you stated Hardhurst Farm is a better option than laneside, the pub is called the Travellers Rest and is still up & running.
We would be interested in a meet in derbyshire. xx :thumb::thumb:

Sheila & Mick

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
as you stated Hardhurst Farm is a better option than laneside, the pub is called the Travellers Rest and is still up & running.
Sheila & Mick

I didn't pugboxter did. So we thank him.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=kPt1QMvbCHSGcfnYDpKydg&cbp=12,90.44,,0,13.48

And the pub, I confused it with the Marquis of Granby.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...nRZHDTf1cbS89fd0NXP3Vg&cbp=12,329.57,,0,16.36

How could we manage with Streets ????

Just looked at Greenhills prices - WOW.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
knowing how difficult it is arranging a meet Brian. You book where you want mate and I shall do my best to attend. Late Sept would be god for me as already in the past few hours, I have committed to France, Bath and Now Derbyshire.
And Bryan, I dont care how much it cost's mate, You can't put a price on good company,:winky:
as long as it is not a CC or CCC site.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would suggest you don't go for the following weekend (25/26) as it's the motorhome season finale show at Lincoln so some funsters might want to go there instead ...

Not a clue what we'll be doing in September though! :Smile:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Hi Bryan
We would be interested in a FUN meet in Derbyshire, providing we could get a good rally price, Derbyshire always seems to be more expensive, but is a loely place for walk's.
We too have a dog now, so may need to pay for him as well.
We stayed on CC site at Losehill but always full and quite expensive

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I would suggest you don't go for the following weekend (25/26) as it's the motorhome season finale show at Lincoln so some funsters might want to go there instead ...

Not a clue what we'll be doing in September though! :Smile:

Thanks for that....

So the proposal is a £10 max priced site in Derbyshire 17th to 19th.

This is like Challenge Anneka except it's me on my bike rushing round. I pass a lot of sites around Derbyshire but few in areas as cute as the Hope Valley. I wouldn't invite you lot to some wind blown hill farm where you'd have to tie the vans down. You think I joke ? See picture. This is 5 miles from the Hope Valley and it was tied down.

Watch this space.

Attachments

• JohnM2.jpg
    JohnM2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 61

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
derby

we could fancy going it depends on steve getting hols though its our anniversary on the 18th so it would be a nice way to celebrate it :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
we could fancy going it depends on steve getting hols though its our anniversary on the 18th so it would be a nice way to celebrate it :Smile:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh dear another thick head coming up:Doh:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You can pencil us in for either weekend Brian. It looks like a nice quiet site, in a lovely area , 2 pubs as well .
As i read it , is the £18.50 for 1 night or Fri and Sat ?
Theres also a £2 charge per dog i notice. We've got 2. :RollEyes:
So depending on final charges , its a yes.
It would be better if you could get a rally price as we will have just got back from our Hols in Gran Canaria , and will more than likely be skint :winky:
Bev

Just noticed its an extra £2.50 per child per night as well .
So it would cost us £30 per night.
May have to give it a miss Brian , unless you manage to get the price down a bit.
We've got into the habit of paying a lot less now , using Cl's and going on rallies.
That and with it being just after our main holiday of the year , no doubt we will have spent up . Looks a lovely campsite though just like the sort we like.
Mmmm we could always leave the kids and dogs in the cellar , i suppose.
I'll have to butter up the M.I.L.
Bev

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
It's a possible for us - seeing as how it's in our back yard!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I've looked in my accounts :)Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:) and we paid £13 a night at the last meet there in Oct 2007!

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just noticed its an extra £2.50 per child per night as well .
So it would cost us £30 per night.
Bev

That won't work.

Watch this space, I'll be trying harder next week before we hit the road.

Apr 29, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 155
Exp
a few years
New to motorhoming but would be interested - work local to Hope and would recommend Hardhurst (the pub is closer too!!)

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Gone pear shaped....

I would not dream of competing with Jim, because he's lined up a much better meet in Bath for this WE, and we want to go, it sounds a reet good do..

But don't despair, if we return from Italy in a month I'll be on the case again.

There are lots of use oop north and not enough meets.

I wonder what early October weather will be like ?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
New to motorhoming but would be interested - work local to Hope and would recommend Hardhurst (the pub is closer too!!)

Well if you are close, not so much FUN for you, but if could you find time to call in and just ask "would 10 or so vans be welcome early October and now much would they charge us".

No commitment, just an idea of price so FUNsters can see if they have enough pennies left after what is going to happen to us today.

Lots of google hits for this site, only problem seems to be the railway line.

If you are new then the meet here:

Link Removed

would be a good place to come and get the FUN bug. Very similar Hardhurst except a canal replaces the railway line.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back