Dept of Transport and Elevated roof (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Has anyone converted a van to a campervan - with at Pop Top Roof recently?

Is the a problem with the DoT only accepting High Top vans

Thanks in advance

Cheers Spike

OP
OP
S
Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Thanks Nasher - I'd read the stuff on the site. I wanted to know how people are taxing/insuring their vehicles if not reclassified as motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Nasher - I'd read the stuff on the site. I wanted to know how people are taxing/insuring their vehicles if not reclassified as motorhome.

Since the rule changes last year, when it became much more difficult to change classification to 'motor caravan' most of the regular motorhome/campervan insurers offer insurance based on the van having been converted but not registered as a 'motor caravan'

Tax is no different, whether it's a van or a motor caravan

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Since the rule changes last year, when it became much more difficult to change classification to 'motor caravan' most of the regular motorhome/campervan insurers offer insurance based on the van having been converted but not registered as a 'motor caravan'

Tax is no different, whether it's a van or a motor caravan
Same on tunnel and ferry as well.
In fact it doesn't make a lot of difference apart from some speed regs.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
A question that often gets raised and not only pop tops that are having a problem. If you convert following the DVLA guidelines and send V5 for reclassification it will be changed to Van with Windows and also receive a letter from DVLA saying in their opinion it does not look externally like a Motor Caravan but you can still use the vehicle as a Motor Caravan. and most insurance companies will now accept this for insurance as a Motor Caravan, and you will also have other benefits such as Motor Caravan speed limits. I

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
A question that often gets raised and not only pop tops that are having a problem. If you convert following the DVLA guidelines and send V5 for reclassification it will be changed to Van with Windows and also receive a letter from DVLA saying in their opinion it does not look externally like a Motor Caravan but you can still use the vehicle as a Motor Caravan. and most insurance companies will now accept this for insurance as a Motor Caravan, and you will also have other benefits such as Motor Caravan speed limits. I
Thanks Bordeland - re: speed, it's already an 8 seater MPV/Minibus. (Pre 2013 Ford Mk 7 Transit Tourneo)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back