Depreciation. MH Vs Caravans. (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Just bought a MH (first one) and as all of you Funsters wwill know depreciation is low and used MH's are expensive.
Touring caravans on the other hand depreciate heavily and quickly and of course contain by and large the same internal equipment and fittings.

MH's start at a much higher purchase price but accounting for this caravan depreciation as a percentage is still much heavier.

Just wondering what you think contributes to this...................

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
law of economics, supply and demand..

good used motorhomes are in high demand, but short supply..

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Simple a MH is a better but over ten years . Buy a new caravan which will cost £30 - £35 k for a twin axle . Then a new car to pull it would be £35+ so about £70k for an outfit . In ten years time the caravan will sell for about £8k and the car about £6k so less than £15k for outfit . £70K for a new MH in ten years will hold its value better and still hold a price of about £25 k.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Simple a MH is a better but over ten years . Buy a new caravan which will cost £30 - £35 k for a twin axle . Then a new car to pull it would be £35+ so about £70k for an outfit . In ten years time the caravan will sell for about £8k and the car about £6k so less than £15k for outfit . £70K for a new MH in ten years will hold its value better and still hold a price of about £25 k.

I understand what you mean but I was thinking purely about a caravan vs a MH, without the tow car. Scotjimland has a point as well and it may be so but I was wondering if there were other factors to be considered.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The UK is the odd one out because unlike most continental countries, in the UK caravans (about 500,000) massively outnumber MHs (about 200,000). On the continent it's the other way round. That might help explain why MH prices both new and used are lower in places like Germany and seem to stay artificially higher in the UK.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot depends on how you buy, our last caravan had it 6 years lost about 6 % a year but I bought a German caravan in Germany saving 40% on UK price. :D

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I understand what you mean but I was thinking purely about a caravan vs a MH, without the tow car. Scotjimland has a point as well and it may be so but I was wondering if there were other factors to be considered.

You would also need to factor in the cars running cost as you are usually running a bigger vehicle every day just to tow the
caravan when you need it .

You might find it is cheaper to run a smaller car just commute to work every day ?

A caravan will loose about £ 2 k a year and then about £2 k for the car then 2x insurance .

People always say MH are expensive but so are caravans and in 45 years I have had experience of both .

I now run a MH and a small car everyday that I can trailer .

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think a contributing factor is the horrendously long waiting time for new motorhomes. People who don't want to wait a year or so will buy secondhand and then its down to supply and demand.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you need a car for work etc but can not afford to tax etc 2 motors a caravan answers your problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back