Deposit paid (1 Viewer)

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
Hello Funsters.
I have been looking to exchange my mh for the last few months. I have enquired after a few I found online but not long after they were taken off line. I was confused as to how people were buying motorhomes during lockdown. Then I enquired about another one I fancied and phoned the dealer. He said if a paid a deposit he would take it offline until i could get there after lockdown to do the deal. My question is :- If I or the dealer decide the price agreed on the phone should be different after our own inspections and then realise we can't do the deal, would I lose my deposit ?
Thanks.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I put a deposit down to reserve the van. It was a refundable deposit. I then went to see it and negotiated th price.

I pick it up next week.

I put a deposit on another one somewhere else but decided not to go and they refunded the deposit.

You should have agreed it was a refundable deposit first though.

Some dealers are selling during lock down.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If the conversation is as you have said, then you have paid a deposit which the dealer accepts is good faith that you are interested enough to get him to take it off the market.
This is in order to allow you, the Prospective purchaser, to see the product and then Negotiate with the dealer to purchase the van at a price agreeable to you both.
If you can't agree then you get your deposit back.
Over to another Funsters to put an alternative point of view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Colino

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
I put a deposit down to reserve the van. It was a refundable deposit. I then went to see it and negotiated th price.

I pick it up next week.

I put a deposit on another one somewhere else but decided not to go and they refunded the deposit.

You should have agreed it was a refundable deposit first though.

Some dealers are selling during lock down.
Neither of us mentioned whether it was refundable. I assumed it would be just so they know I am a serious potential buyer before they took it offline.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Also never put down a deposit that is more than you are willing to lose. We have only ever put down £1000, ordered 3 new vans without any problems. If they want any more than that I would walk.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back