Deposit down (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Long drive down to serenity leisure for a look at Two M homes, one a concorde on a MAN and a Carthago which to be fair i hadn't even considered, loved the Concorde but just too many compromises, bit of a strange whiff to it also, but for 2008 it was immaculate, any how the mrs had spied the Carthago liner de luxe.

I know i was looking for something with a heavier chassis but this vehicle has clearly been specced up to the eyeballs something like £60-70,000 worth of extras and less than 6000 miles on the clock, need to do a bit of research around the ZF gearbox, i'm sure i read somewhere regarding self destructing clutches! It was well looked after and just had 5 g wifi before the guy sold it,obviously too much money as he went out and bought a morelo:giggle: shes not as attractive as the face of a morelo but i'm sure she'll grow on me(y)
A few things need sorted but nothing major, strange it didn't have a reversing camera fitted so that's being done before collection.

So all being well we pick up at the end of the month, and the gent who owns the place was an absolute pleasure to deal with, I know the proof is in the aftersales but looking at reviews nothing but praise for how he deals with things.

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Serenity Leisure Bristol? Top man not your usual salesman even talked us out of buying one from him after we had 3 ones out for test drives (interesting getting in and out of the yard first time driving a moho), told us what we wanted and he was right. Aftersales I don't know but he was clear and honest with us.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Long drive down to serenity leisure for a look at Two M homes, one a concorde on a MAN and a Carthago which to be fair i hadn't even considered, loved the Concorde but just too many compromises, bit of a strange whiff to it also, but for 2008 it was immaculate, any how the mrs had spied the Carthago liner de luxe.

I know i was looking for something with a heavier chassis but this vehicle has clearly been specced up to the eyeballs something like £60-70,000 worth of extras and less than 6000 miles on the clock, need to do a bit of research around the ZF gearbox, i'm sure i read somewhere regarding self destructing clutches! It was well looked after and just had 5 g wifi before the guy sold it,obviously too much money as he went out and bought a morelo:giggle: shes not as attractive as the face of a morelo but i'm sure she'll grow on me(y)
A few things need sorted but nothing major, strange it didn't have a reversing camera fitted so that's being done before collection.

So all being well we pick up at the end of the month, and the gent who owns the place was an absolute pleasure to deal with, I know the proof is in the aftersales but looking at reviews nothing but praise for how he deals with things.
Glad you're sorted. I think you will find the self destructing clutches were the agile box fjtted to the earlier models and the 170hp of the newer models. I ve not heard any problems with the ZF, not that is any guarantee.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Serenity Leisure Bristol? Top man not your usual salesman even talked us out of buying one from him after we had 3 ones out for test drives (interesting getting in and out of the yard first time driving a moho), told us what we wanted and he was right. Aftersales I don't know but he was clear and honest with us.
Yes it was, v honest and open, no hard sale tactics, anything pointed out will be sorted, couldn’t fault them.
He’s just put three brand new batteries on that Concorde also, I think some outfits would have tried to sell it on with them as they were.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Rudski01 and jongood

The early ZF had problems wit the torque converter drive plates cracking, if it does go bang it can do considerable damage to the gearbox.

How about having 360 camera fitted instead of the reverse only? we have the Camos 360 HD and its a good bit of kit.

EDIT just adding this link, you might need to register though, reading the thread again the suggestion is that it affects a limited number of ZF 8 speed Daily chassis up to 2017 I believe so it might be worth asking an IVECO workshop what they know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Glad you're sorted. I think you will find the self destructing clutches were the agile box fjtted to the earlier models and the 170hp of the newer models. I ve not heard any problems with the ZF, not that is any guarantee.
@
Hi Rudski01 and jongood

The early ZF had problems wit the torque converter drive plates cracking, if it does go bang it can do considerable damage to the gearbox.

How about having 360 camera fitted instead of the reverse only? we have the Camos 360 HD and its a good bit of kit.

EDIT just adding this link, you might need to register though, reading the thread again the suggestion is that it affects a limited number of ZF 8 speed Daily chassis up to 2017 I believe so it might be worth asking an IVECO workshop what they know?

The 360 camera system we had on the RS was very good, although I did find it a little disorienting sometimes, I think that may have been the link I read, but a while ago, I’ll definitely need to check that out, thanks.👍

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018

Hi, if the base is a MAN, good choice, if the gearbox is the astronic lite, great, no clutch worries, l worked for MAN for best part of 20 years and only encountered a couple of issues with the ZF, Astronic lite, so l would not be concerned, what model is the MAN, and l can give you more information

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi, if the base is a MAN, good choice, if the gearbox is the astronic lite, great, no clutch worries, l worked for MAN for best part of 20 years and only encountered a couple of issues with the ZF, Astronic lite, so l would not be concerned, what model is the MAN, and l can give you more information
Hi Popty, I ended up going with the Carthago on a iveco daily chassis, if I could lift the Carthago onto the MAN it would have been perfect. Just to many compromises on the MAN Concorde unfortunately. Thanks for your offer of help, I’m going to try and speak with an iveco service manager to try and find if this vehicle falls within the issues reported and if it was recalled or not 👍

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi Rudski01 and jongood

funflair I have spoken with North East Truck and Van, very helpful service manager, he said that they only recalled the vehicles with the Telma retarder (Spelling) it seems that the failure was caused by micro cracks initiated from the rivets, he said that if failure happened it would/could destroy the gearbox, he also said that the VIN wouldn't identify which converter drive plates had been fitted.
He mentioned that there was usually tell tale signs that something was going wrong by the noise the converter would start making, he said it can be checked while being serviced which plates were installed, so I suppose it's bit of a unknown and i will look to get it checked as a matter of course.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
funflair I have spoken with North East Truck and Van, very helpful service manager, he said that they only recalled the vehicles with the Telma retarder (Spelling) it seems that the failure was caused by micro cracks initiated from the rivets, he said that if failure happened it would/could destroy the gearbox, he also said that the VIN wouldn't identify which converter drive plates had been fitted.
He mentioned that there was usually tell tale signs that something was going wrong by the noise the converter would start making, he said it can be checked while being serviced which plates were installed, so I suppose it's bit of a unknown and i will look to get it checked as a matter of course.
Pleased you got a good response off NETV, we used their Billingham branch and found them very good, interesting that it’s only Telma equipped drivetrains and that was mentioned on the German forum, we have Telma but 2019 chassis so fingers crossed that is OK, I am not sure how the retarder affects the torque converter drive plate though.

Anyway nice van so good luck with it all.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Pleased you got a good response off NETV, we used their Billingham branch and found them very good, interesting that it’s only Telma equipped drivetrains and that was mentioned on the German forum, we have Telma but 2019 chassis so fingers crossed that is OK, I am not sure how the retarder affects the torque converter drive plate though.

Yep not sure what the connection is either, and should have asked really, 2019 I believe they had changed from rivets to something different well before that so should be fine, I’m hoping due to how well it’s been looked after I have no repeats of the RS issues🤬 I understand things break but that thing nearly broke me😩

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Could it be because its loading it in the opposite way to the design load Martin?

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Im

I’m not Jon I just went onto serenity leisure website and looked at it.
There 102 photos of it.
Yes that’s the one, excellent condition inside and outside, stone chip in the windscreen needs sorted, couldn’t see any signs of damp, but had a musty smell to it. The mrs just thought it a bit dated, I thought it was ok and quite liked the bar version, didn’t have levelling, solar, tv’s, fly screen on the door was missing or just never specced

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes that’s the one, excellent condition inside and outside, stone chip in the windscreen needs sorted, couldn’t see any signs of damp, but had a musty smell to it. The mrs just thought it a bit dated, I thought it was ok and quite liked the bar version, didn’t have levelling, solar, tv’s, fly screen on the door was missing or just never specced
Wow someone must have taken the flyscreen off the door as it got damaged it is standard.
Surprised no solar does it have a built in generator?

No drop down so a lovely van for 2 people it looks.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Somebody must have planned to be on camp sites and hook up all the time, 7500kg on a MAN chassis they wouldn't have been able to tick any option boxes or it would have been overweight before they loaded it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It just brakes the prop shaft so I can’t see how it’s that different to putting the brakes on.
Because putting the brakes on doesn't load up the driveline? I dont know Martin just speculating, quite likely to be driver abuse.

I know retarders but big loads on - have to really- I've used lots of them over the years and never really thought about it but I'm much more careful with my own.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Somebody must have planned to be on camp sites and hook up all the time, 7500kg on a MAN chassis they wouldn't have been able to tick any option boxes or it would have been overweight before they loaded it.
Probably shortcutted because they didnt want to do the licence, no big deal to upplate and add the missing bits, plenty of money in the price difference. As we've often discussed, its all about the requirements of the purchaser

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Because putting the brakes on doesn't load up the driveline? I dont know Martin just speculating, quite likely to be driver abuse.

I know retarders but big loads on - have to really- I've used lots of them over the years and never really thought about it but I'm much more careful with my own.
Exhaust brake retarder goes through the gearbox but Telma is on the prop after the gearbox and only comes in after you come off the throttle, maybe a question to ask when I take ours for an oil change ;)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Look good, just wondering is this a graphic issue.
27C07FC1-41D6-4820-BFFF-95134FD7901F.jpeg

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
Thanks for pointing that out! and for the other comments Rudski01 and CazPaul. I had a look at that and was interested but those details help to clarify ...

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none

That Carthago is a beautiful van with great spec. Best of luck with it!
Apologies for 'jumping in' on your thread, due to my interest in the Concorde.
Kilroy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back