Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi

Just been in Denmark for 2 weeks and "wild camped" every night. When I was asking for information I heard from many sources that "wildcamping" isn't allowed and is illegal. Well - thats wrong ish.

Wild camping, as in "camping", as in getting out chairs/tables/BBQ etc is illegal.

Wild camping, as in simply "overnight parking" is permitted unless it says otherwise.

(We only ever "park overnight")

There are many signs with a tent/caravan crossed out - this means "no camping" - overnight parking still is fine.

There are some signs, fewer, with a motorhome crossed out, or "no overnight parking", or similar where its clear you can't stay.

But generally, absolutely no problems whatsoever anywhere.

In addition there are many water/waste points (free) - enough for us anyway - though these aren't listed in "All the Aires" or bordatlas or camperstop! Weird - only found these last week and glad we did! Details here: Link Removed

Probably got another 10 days in Denmark before thinking about coming home. I'll be updating our blog and wildcamping database in the next hour or two.

So don't let the formal "no wildcamping" put you off Denmark - just use your eyes and common sense!

/says he sitting next to marina/sea; fresh tap; chemical waste; and free wifi from the marina! (ok - using my long range aerial but hey!)

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
thanks for that, I have ordered one, only problem now is will it work with my lappy which does not have wifi built in, I have a plug in wifi adapter is that just another form on antenna? what software do you use to decipher unknown wep codes etc?

OP
OP
activecampers
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
The rocket aerial is a USB wifi adapter "all in one". So now if I look on my laptop I have 2. (Inbuilt and aerial). So laptop without a wifi card will just see 1. Drivers will either self install (from Internet) or from CD it comes with. The higher you have the aerial the better, and make sure it is vertical as the orientation is important.

As for breaking WEP - look for Backtrack 3 or 4. Not easy and not simple or even guarenteed to work and probably not legal.

To be honest, on this trip I've had wifi every day, Holland/Denmark within minutes and Germany a bit longer, but there is enough unsecured wifi around its never a problem. When we're desprate the wife drives "slow" and I sit with laptop till we get an unsecured signal, link, check, send/receive email, drive off:thumb:

All depends on where you are and how generous people are.

Seriously, in Denmark/UK/Holland, a 5-10 minute walk, anywhere in a town, with my iPod touch on, I will see and check email via an unsecured WiFi with ease. There are that many around....

(Got some business going on at home, once thats sorted I won't need email so often!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back