Tour Guide Wanted Denmark and Norway (1 Viewer)

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
We are thinking of touring Denmaark and Norway April, May and June 2018 any help ànd tops would be appreciated
CLYDE AND Chris

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We toured Norway in 2016 and I toured Norway by bike in 2017.
To get there~:
There are no direct ferries to Norway from UK.
By MH we took ferry Harwich to Hook of Holland, then drove through Holland and Germany to Denmark.
Ferry to HOH is enjoyable overnight
That is a fairly dull drive and Denmark centre is flat and fairly dull.
We camped close to the ferry - Hirtshalls to Kristiansand. That is surprisingly quick and easy.

By bike we rode under Denmark and then up to Kiel and overnight to Oslo. That is a huge ferry and quite enjoyable - although the ferry staff (especially Norway end) are useless dudes!

How much you enjoy Norway depends on the size of your unit and the weather.
Tolls can be very high and some roads get a bit narrow, but the scenery is beyond beautiful. They have spent and spent on bridges and tunnels.

Food and booze is expensive, but you can stock up before.

By bike we went above the Arctic circle and then back down the West coast - it was +24'c and spectacularly beautiful.
By MH (8m) I had a few tight moments and our tolls were many £100's. We had snow and some rain and my wife was less than ecstatic at times.

Bottom line is that Norway is all geography - get the weather right and there is nowhere better (Scotland on steroids). Poor weather and your options are limited.
Denmark's beauty is on the coast.
The big bridge to Sweden is impressive, but southern Sweden is flat so there is a surprising limit to great views.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
inside of big ferry to Oslo.
IMG_7474.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm a member of a Bookface group campaining to reopen a direct link to Scandinavia since DFDS dropped anchor on the Harwich to Esbjerg route. An interesting item was posted a day or two ago with a link to a news article that raised our hopes. If it ever gets off the ground it won't be soon enough for the OP or my trip planned for May.

Edinburgh Evening News

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We've been 4 times - twice camping and twice in our camper van. It's great (can't be beaten if you like fjords - and we've been to NZ and Alaska). It is a bit weather dependent but if you anticipate that it's not a problem especially I imagine in a larger van as you have.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm a member of a Bookface group campaining to reopen a direct link to Scandinavia since DFDS dropped anchor on the Harwich to Esbjerg route. An interesting item was posted a day or two ago with a link to a news article that raised our hopes. If it ever gets off the ground it won't be soon enough for the OP or my trip planned for May.

Edinburgh Evening News

I watched that on the news yesterday. It would be great if it happens.

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but lots of classic VW and camping experience
We are heading up that way pretty much the same time so will follow this thread / you guys @C+C and maybe be able to pass each other tips depending on whose ahead :)

OP
OP
C+C

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
That would be great will keep you informed via this thread

OP
OP
C+C

C+C

Free Member
May 2, 2017
Gosport
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
Thank you blade runner, a great help

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
if you have a refillable gas tank make sure your full before going into Denmark we only found 2 listed in the whole country:(

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
One at Middlefart, Ingemans Tank. We went there after a visit to the vet in Fredericia. The same old boy came out to help who was mentioned in a blog we'd read before our trip.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
This thread is a year old, I blame romany for bringing it up again! :giggle:

I brought it to life again as being an experienced forum user :)whistle:) I realise new users click on old threads on subjects they are interested in and turning up in a country that has very few opportunities to refill your gas tanks is important info for people (y)

PS if you believe that your believe anything:cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back