Delivery delays - are we being told the whole truth? (1 Viewer)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Sounds like a retention incentive at that rate which is fine by me to.
Yes I think so too, he's only been driving trucks since the beginning of the year, agency work to start with but he's on the books with Dunelm Mills now. He got a rise when they took him on and this added rise out of the blue, good luck to him is what I say.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
How much of a hiccup do we want to pay for though? My brother drives a truck, he's just received a 12% pay rise without asking for it... Someone is going to pay for that.
Without prying (but I am) would be interested to know what the old wage was 🤷🏻‍♂️

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Without prying (but I am) would be interested to know what the old wage was 🤷🏻‍♂️
No great shakes for the job in my opinion. It was £14/hour for the agency, that went up to £16/hour when they took him on the books. He's since had the 12% on top.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
No great shakes for the job in my opinion. It was £14/hour for the agency, that went up to £16/hour when they took him on the books. He's since had the 12% on top.
Where is he based in the middle of the country somewhere ?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Yes, Stoke-on-Trent. Does that make a big difference?
Yes on average the money in the middle of the country is more than on the edges, due to more rdc places in the middle wanting more drivers. Hence more money.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Yes on average the money in the middle of the country is more than on the edges, due to more rdc places in the middle wanting more drivers. Hence more money.
RDC, Road Distribution Centres?

Makes sense, what would the rate be around here, you and I aren't that far apart.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
RDC, Road Distribution Centres?

Makes sense, what would the rate be around here, you and I aren't that far apart.
You might be better off depending on how close to Felixstowe you are , but it’s not that great.
Zero hours, £100 for 12 hrs, includes your holiday pay etc in the rate. No sick pay or bank holiday etc

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
You might be better off depending on how close to Felixstowe you are , but it’s not that great.
Zero hours, £100 for 12 hrs, includes your holiday pay etc in the rate. No sick pay or bank holiday etc
K'nel! I honestly didn't know it was that low. That's got to be close to minimum wage?

I occasionally mooch, in our MH's with a lad who trunks for an agency between the docks and Alconbury, he seems to earn decent money.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
K'nel! I honestly didn't know it was that low. That's got to be close to minimum wage?

I occasionally mooch, in our MH's with a lad who trunks for an agency between the docks and Alconbury, he seems to earn decent money.
If based at alconbury there’s more competition around so helps push it up. If you head north like Tyneside or Scotland the rates are poor. Often get trucks from Scotland working on the sugar beet due to lack of work, stay for a week or 2 then head back north with sugar beet nuts , have a weekend at home and repeat.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
going rate round here, nth/manchester is £15 hr, we have several rdc's and all vi-ing for your service, best payer is mcdonalds,

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Mate of mine after several years of trying is full time for Sainsbury’s. His mate is in the office and told him that they had not taken on staff for years instead used EE agency as it’s cheaper. He thought he would not get o/t but time off in lieu if he did extra hours as that was how they used to work, but now as they need drivers they will pay overtime as well now.

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
And clearly identified a captive market of mugs. Why do we put up with it? Door catches prone to condensation triggering warning beeper, electric elements liable to expensive failure, weak freezer compartment hinges on older models, dodgy hinges on tec tower oven doors.
Hey, tell me about it, I've just had to buy the hinges for my freezer box door, cost £57. Plastic moulded hinges.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The U.K. haulage industry takes in 40,000 new recruits each year, this year due to Covid effects on driver training and examination only 15,000 new licences have been issued giving a 25,000 shortage to the industry in a normal year. The shortage of drivers has increased from 60k to 100k this year. The International Road Transport Union said that shortages would soar in all regions, in fact Germany and the US are reporting similar shortages. The IRTU blame poor pay, working conditions and an ageing workforce. The average age of a driver in U.K. is 55, the retirement crisis is going to last a few years more.
The US is believed to be the hardest hit due to lengthening delivery times.
Wages and prices adjust naturally in a free market from supply and demand.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
If lowest pay is one the reasons for the lack of HGV drivers, increasing the pay may attract drivers to the industry.
But those drivers are likely to be currently employed in another sectorand would be lured From other industries, therefore all the increace in pay does is transfer the shortage ftom one industry to another.
The existing bone idle / unemployed are unlikely to suddenly become motivated to work and those unable to work due to ill health are not going to be suddenly cured by HGV pay increaces.
I'm all for better pay across all sectors, but we as consumers will need to accept we have to pay for it and the big picture is that unless you add more workers to the Labour force, e.g. Via immigration etc, there are will be shortages of labour in one sector or another, and raising pay in one sector might address that sector labour shortage, but only at the detriment of another sector

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
As per gerry mcg 's post, the logical conclusion is that other sectors will have to increase pay in order to compete for workers - a perfect recipe for rampant wage inflation.

Who remembers the 1970s? Probably, the majority of people who are now on a fixed income ie pensioners. In such a scenario, they will bare the brunt of inflation without seeing a commensurate raise in income 😒.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...or we accept less choice of brands, more local produce, so less trucking needed.

Shopping, ideally ecologically, should be for necessities rather than a "Leisure" activity

IMV

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
...or we accept less choice of brands, more local produce, so less trucking needed.

Shopping, ideally ecologically, should be for necessities rather than a "Leisure" activity

IMV
Recent press reports claim there is going to be a shortage of Spanish Choritzo and French Cheese, life's going to become unbearable.:rolleyes:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
All these lorry driver shortages will be a dream for the automated lorry manufactures

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best just dont buy anything from europe.
we have left the eu. so buy other countries food etc .
dont buy eu vehicles or clothes etc .
after all buying other countries things usually means we get better quality at less price.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
best just dont buy anything from europe.
we have left the eu. so buy other countries food etc .
dont buy eu vehicles or clothes etc .
after all buying other countries things usually means we get better quality at less price.
Totally happy with our Fiat and VAG vehicles my Phillips Ambilight TV and shaver. You can’t get Rigolettes from anywhere else but Nantes and occasionally have placed an order as we have not been to France 🇫🇷 since 2019 😭

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Had our first Raclette yesterday…….in Somerset. :giggle:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If they can do that they have been making excessive profit at the workers expense?
A relative of mine had a delivery invoice recently. It included a surcharge for a driver bonus / incentive / wage rise. This was paid for by him, the customer, not the delivery company.

Deleted User
Speaking to my neighbor this morning who's friend has a haulage company, just taken on a newly qualified driver (21) having to pay 40k, raised pay of experienced drivers to 50k.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No sick pay
Even on zero hours you are classed as an employee & have entitlement to sick pay if off with a "fit note" (what's that all about?If you were fit you wouldn't be off )
They have to pay 28 weeks at £94,50 /week . not a lot but better than nothing. If they refuse to pay /won't pay they have to supply you with a specific form stating why that you can then claim it from ESA. Apart from going out of business there aren't many reasons they can refuse to pay.

** if memory serves me correctly all you had to have done was worked for them ,zero hours, for 2 years. That complied with the requirements.
As per gerry mcg 's post, the logical conclusion is that other sectors will have to increase pay in order to compete for workers - a perfect recipe for rampant wage inflation.

Who remembers the 1970s? Probably, the majority of people who are now on a fixed income ie pensioners. In such a scenario, they will bare the brunt of inflation without seeing a commensurate raise in income 😒.
That is why the triple lock should never be allowed to be fiddled with.
Is this effecting VW and Renault?
Definitely Mercedes cars.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Speaking to my neighbor this morning who's friend has a haulage company, just taken on a newly qualified driver (21) having to pay 40k, raised pay of experienced drivers to 50k.
Would that be 50k for 40hrs or lots of other things like night out money etc ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back