Delivery delays - are we being told the whole truth? (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
No matter what, we are never told the whole truth. :gum:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Let's not forget that the UK no longer recognise the CE mark so just about every bit of kit in a Moho has to go through a separate UKCA assessment which takes ages and costs ££s
UKCA stupidity has been quietly dropped.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Our son is waiting to have a new car delivered. It is in the country but he has been told it is held up at the docks because of HGV driver shortage. Having a licence himself he offered to go and collect it but they weren’t interested.
Not seen any adverts for car transporter drivers ? So it could be other reasons geting PDI done ,DVLA etc .you need a permit i some docks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
And your point is ?
I can see you’re headed down the route of an old chestnut , it happened :RollEyes:
The true extent of the disaster is becoming clearer though and will affect the daily lives of all of us. You say it happened but it hasn't. It is stumbling into the light of day slowly and as it does every argument against is still there, still affecting our daily lives, with not a single advantage in any area. The NI problem has been rumbling from day one with no resolution in sight. We are short of HGV qualified delivery drivers, people to work in the catering industry, people to pick crops, etc, etc. Believe it or not I do look for positives because as you say - it happened. But so far I can't see any at all.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The true extent of the disaster is becoming clearer though and will affect the daily lives of all of us. You say it happened but it hasn't. It is stumbling into the light of day slowly and as it does every argument against is still there, still affecting our daily lives, with not a single advantage in any area. The NI problem has been rumbling from day one with no resolution in sight. We are short of HGV qualified delivery drivers, people to work in the catering industry, people to pick crops, etc, etc. Believe it or not I do look for positives because as you say - it happened. But so far I can't see any at all.
I will not get drawn into an old political discussion , my glass is now more than half full and looking forward to a bright future whilst I guess you’re precisely the opposite .
Stay happy life is too short to stew :giggle:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I will not get drawn into an old political discussion , my glass is now more than half full and looking forward to a bright future whilst I guess you’re precisely the opposite .
Stay happy life is too short to stew :giggle:
Despite my posts mine is half full too 😊 but I can't help but be concerned at where the UK is headed and how we're seen by the rest of the world.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
We’ll be fine Tony, a few hiccups on the way no doubt .
How much of a hiccup do we want to pay for though? My brother drives a truck, he's just received a 12% pay rise without asking for it... Someone is going to pay for that.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
How much of a hiccup do we want to pay for though? My brother drives a truck, he's just received a 12% pay rise without asking for it... Someone is going to pay for that.
I won’t go into politics but we are where we are and will move forward.

edzt

Free Member
Sep 2, 2019
NW
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
Despite my posts mine is half full too 😊 but I can't help but be concerned at where the UK is headed and how we're seen by the rest of the world.
The rest of the world perceives the EU and the UK as in decline and an interfering bunch of ex colonial masters
The Eu can’t be too smug, they’re suffering a estimated annual drop in output of 6.4%

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Because he has been under paid for years

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
There isn’t such a shortage of drivers as along with myself there are around 60000 license holders that decided to take other jobs that pay much better and don’t expect us to keep paying for the so called training (driver CPC) and the digicard and medicals. Also the way drivers are treated with poor roadside facilities and often customers that won’t even let them use the toilet it’s not the sort of career that can be sold as a great way of life.
The race to the bottom for rates in an business will always result in the workforce having to shoulder the costs as the employer has little room to reduce the fixed costs of the equipment and fuel.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
If they can do that they have been making excessive profit at the workers expense?
I once worked at an Employment Agency recruiting Drivers for big companies.

I worked 5 12 hour days, and held the pager (remember those?) every other weekend so clients could contact me 24 hours a day.

After 7 months, and on course for making the company a shed load of money, I handed in my notice as those type of hours were not sustainable.

The branch manager called me in and offered to DOUBLE my wages. It transpires the lower he kept the branch outgoings (including wages) the bigger his company bonus! If he could offer to double my wages, how much was he making?

Never worked in the private sector again.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hospitality industry also bleating about the shortage of staff available

They have discovered that when workforce is in a little short supply, zero hours contracts with split-shifts on minimum-wage without oncentives are not as attractive as it has arrogantly assumed

The market will find it’s level, but there may have to be some “eggs broken” along the way and this winter may be tougher on our supply expectations than we may find comfortable

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If they can do that they have been making excessive profit at the workers expense?
Giving the benefit of the doubt the company might be on contract to another large firm and renegotiate the terms of the contract as costs have risen. I know most have a fuel escalator in the contracts.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

Drivers wages will rise while there is a shortage. Simple market forces. Prices will always filter down and the end-user pays for everything. But truck driving is an important job, a stressful job, a job that can have long term effects on health. It's about time they got a decent wage.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Indeed supply and demand market forces will have the desired effect to remunerate Drivers more fairly given time, just as the flood of Eastern European drivers prevented decent wage increases and disincentivised new joiners to the job.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
That's an assumption, he only passed his HGV this year after the pub/B&B he was managing closed the doors due to Covid.
Well the rest of us have been underpaid, if you think he is not worth it make him give it back

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Well the rest of us have been underpaid, if you think he is not worth it make him give it back
What are you talking about?, I've no problem with drivers being paid more, it's not a job I'd want to do. It's just 12% seems a massive jump considering he didn't ask for a pay rise.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
What are you talking about?, I've no problem with drivers being paid more, it's not a job I'd want to do. It's just 12% seems a massive jump considering he didn't ask for a pay rise.
Funny how some see 12% a lot. If you’re on a low wage and have been for a long while 12% is not much, but if you’re some boss on hundreds of thousands of pounds 12% is a lot more.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Sounds like a retention incentive at that rate which is fine by me to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back