Delivery delays - are we being told the whole truth? (1 Viewer)

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
There have been many posts about delivery delays, however my recent experience might surprise you - it certainly did me.

Less than 3 months ago I looked for a new Dethleffs Just 90 and was advised by a French dealer (I live there) that he had a factory build slot that I could have, so the deal was done, my specification for the habitation side agreed and a purchase order signed.

Well, he's just updated me.

It will arrive at the dealership in a fortnight from now. Exactly to the day I was promised. Little over 3 months from order to delivery.

No excuses about missing components.

Which begs the question, how can a Fiat based motorhome be delivered in France without a day slippage whilst in UK we are told that months of delay is the norm?

Strikes me as odd, its almost as if some countries deliveries are being preferred.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I think it’s more to do with UK manufacturers using furlough to spread the time as the build slots are generally sold out so why pay a full workforce with nothing to do once their base vehicle order is complete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I think you will find that if stuff was “in build” or scheduled to be so for Q1 or a little after then the delays are minimal or non existent
The shortage of components, chiefly but not exclusively, has started to hit hard an the last few weeks and the stuff scheduled for Q3 and Q4 build is just a finger in the air
Next major shortage is Air-bag actuators which will see fields-full of vehicles built,but awaiting air bag fitment
It is going to be a ‘mare by year end

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Let's face it. The UK is not flovour of the month with many nations right now. Just because we have shown that we don't always want to toe-the-line.

B*****, Covid, Suez etc etc are being blamed for everything, but what is for real is that worldwide shipping in containers is all over the place. Delays, container gazzumping and soaring prices.

Who would want to be in UK procurement right now?

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
They possibly have more left hand drive base vehicles sitting around than right hand ones.
Speculation of the week award for that😂

There are 10 times as many LHD built/planned in the 1st place

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
It might just be that we're only hearing from, about late deliveries of things. We're not hearing about all the vehicles etc that have been delivered on time. Like the press we only get to see, hear bad news.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Let's not forget that the UK no longer recognise the CE mark so just about every bit of kit in a Moho has to go through a separate UKCA assessment which takes ages and costs ££s

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
There have been many posts about delivery delays, however my recent experience might surprise you - it certainly did me.

Less than 3 months ago I looked for a new Dethleffs Just 90 and was advised by a French dealer (I live there) that he had a factory build slot that I could have, so the deal was done, my specification for the habitation side agreed and a purchase order signed.

Well, he's just updated me.

It will arrive at the dealership in a fortnight from now. Exactly to the day I was promised. Little over 3 months from order to delivery.

No excuses about missing components.

Which begs the question, how can a Fiat based motorhome be delivered in France without a day slippage whilst in UK we are told that months of delay is the norm?

Strikes me as odd, its almost as if some countries deliveries are being preferred.
Probably because of red tape now.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

Perhaps the dealer sold you the slot released by someone else who cancelled due to already having waited too long..... :giggle:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Still waiting for warranty work / replacement parts after 7 months waiting.

If I wanted to purchase the items from Amazon, I could have them all within days.

Amazon don’t seem to be having supply problems for Brexit, Covid etc….or am I wrong?

I’m just thinking some companies are taking advantage of current times.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Let's not forget that the UK no longer recognise the CE mark so just about every bit of kit in a Moho has to go through a separate UKCA assessment which takes ages and costs ££s
UKCA put back 12 months so hopefully one less hurdle to new Moho import.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I ve had a Dometic toilet on order since 7th April. Delivery pushed back numerous times and now scheduled for 13th September although I'm not holding my breath as I contacted the manufacturer and they quoted October!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Are we the end of the line in terms of container shipping? Many of our containers go to Rotterdam first and then here or worse still put o to lorries or coasters and shipped here therefore any deliveries from China are often delayed more than the continent?

I know with wood it has been known for shipments to be guzumped in transit by a higher bidder!

Cheers James

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My mate delivers new cars for Mercedes, be it sold, rented ,leased,ppp whatever. They have 2 compounds where they keep between 1500 & 2000 vehicles of all types. They usually have around 4-500 vehicles delivered from Germany each week. He was telling me that is son was in meetings & mercedes have stated that they cannot supply ,to themselves in the UK, the vehicles they want until 2022?
He said he has never seen the compounds so empty?
No reason was given as to whether it is a covid problem or red tape.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Our son is waiting to have a new car delivered. It is in the country but he has been told it is held up at the docks because of HGV driver shortage. Having a licence himself he offered to go and collect it but they weren’t interested.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Been waiting since June for a replacement LED down lighter bulb. But they wont give me a part no. So that I can source my own.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Concerning 'component shortages' it's pity Dometic are available at all Totally rubbish product How come my Electrolux fridge worked faultlessly for 30 years until I gave it to the charity shop, yet every Dometic has developed faults within 3 years?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Concerning 'component shortages' it's pity Dometic are available at all Totally rubbish product How come my Electrolux fridge worked faultlessly for 30 years until I gave it to the charity shop, yet every Dometic has developed faults within 3 years?
Interesting. Electrolux developed the absorption fridge that was supplied to caravan builders for years. They changed their name to Dometic and continued to supply the same unit.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Interesting. Electrolux developed the absorption fridge that was supplied to caravan builders for years. They changed their name to Dometic and continued to supply the same unit.
And clearly identified a captive market of mugs. Why do we put up with it? Door catches prone to condensation triggering warning beeper, electric elements liable to expensive failure, weak freezer compartment hinges on older models, dodgy hinges on tec tower oven doors.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
There will be some interesting times ahead for sure.

Toyota has confirmed a 40% cut to its entire car production capability from September this year while JLR has just announced that all future car orders pertaining to 53 different model lines (Discovery, Evoque, E-pace etc) will take over a year to be delivered.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
There will be some interesting times ahead for sure.

Toyota has confirmed a 40% cut to its entire car production capability from September this year while JLR has just announced that all future car orders pertaining to 53 different model lines (Discovery, Evoque, E-pace etc) will take over a year to be delivered.
Scania and Volvo are saying the same sort of thing for trucks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back