Dehumidifiers (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
I use my motorhome all year round so I don't have any issues with dampness, or anything else for that matter. However I don't have a garage to keep my little sports car in over the winter months, so I was wondering if it is a good idea to use some form of dehumidifier inside the car.
Any ideas or recommendations please?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
What problem are you experiencing with the car?

Ian

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
We use a little thingamgig from the £ shop collects quite a lot of condensation/ water in a month

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We found that the best was a dessicant-type, which isn’t affected quite so much by the ambient temperature. Meaco make a good one, but make sure you register the guarantee.

Dessicant dehumidifiers use a bit more power than the compresser types, but dry areas much more quickly and generate some heat while doing so. You just need to make sure that you seal the car as well as possible. Unless it’s incredibly damp and kept outside all the time, often the best method of avoiding damp is to ensure adequate ventilation.

We used to leave the yacht with hatches locked slightly open so air could move around. Never needed to use a dehumidifier on board during the winter.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Dehumidifiers are a waste of money, each time you open the door/window of the motorhome the ambient external humidity balances with the internal levels. They are, in my opinion a clever con.

Turn off the heating, open all the cupboards and doors in the MH and if you do not have water ingress there should not be a problem.

Mold needs high humidity and static air to thrive.

OP
OP
Davecrawf
Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
What problem are you experiencing with the car?

Ian
As it's a soft top it seems to get droplets of moisture forming on the inside roof when it is very cold and wet weather. This progresses to mould forming inside the car.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When I worked in new build houses the plasterers used industrial dehumidifiers to quickly dry the plaster.
All windows closed, any air vents taped up and the room door taped from outside.
No external moist air could get in so the room and plaster dried quickly.
Putting one in a car or motorhome with more holes than a cullender is pointless.

Deleted User
Is it also pointless to try and heat any space that is not sealed?
Is that considered to be trying to heat the world?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We use the desiccant type pillows that are marketed as for car use. They have an indicator on the front to say when they need recharging ie 6mins in the microwave @ 650w. We have one in each car on the dashboard and they help a lot in removing the excessive moisture that we both get in the cars thanks to various things like wet dogs, wet clothing and me being messy moving fish stuff around (i lost 15ltrs of water from a sealed bucket in my boot a few months back :censored:)

Ours are like this: (blue is they are still absorbing, change to pink means it's full and needs a recharge)

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 16.39.25.png
Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 16.39.31.png

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As it's a soft top it seems to get droplets of moisture forming on the inside roof when it is very cold and wet weather. This progresses to mould forming inside the car.

I’d try leaving the windows open.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back